It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2024 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Gimp 2.10.15 AppImage for Linux is a preview of 2.10.16
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:36 pm  (#21) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Nidhogg and rich for the suggestions - sorry for going off-topic.
Using 'python-fu-ofn-export-layers' I pasted '{numDown1:03d}.png'
Result is '001.png, 002.png etc'

That's what I wanted. I'm using davinci resolve (free version) for video editing. It deals with a large series of PNGs no problem.
If anyone is thinking of using resolve you need at least 32Gb of ram in your workstation.

My test file for the installed Gimp appimage is 1.6Gb in size. It manages that beautifully.
BTW having plenty of ram makes Gimp work better as well :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:09 pm  (#22) 
GimpChat Member

Most video editors will work with image sequences such Aviutl, ShotCut and Kdenlive. Some explicitly require it such as Natron. That's why most 3-D programs export Image Sequences. I tried to install Davinci Resolve, but I don't have the hardware for it. I can't say I really need it either.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:19 pm  (#23) 
Global Moderator

Tas_mania wrote:
Thanks for the post rich2005.
Never knew you could 'install' an appimage :)

Maybe I'm an 'inveterate dabbler' because I just figured how to get MathMap working in a Gimp 2.10 appimage under linux.
Cheers from down under.

Following the instructions you left on the file at Google, I got it working on my Ubuntu. Many thanks, Tas_mania!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:20 pm  (#24) 

I just came here to say

Thank you rich2005 for the Liquid rescale plugin file!

I'm on GIMP 2.10.18 and I can see the Resynthesize plugin but not the Liquid rescale, and I couldn't find anywhere to download the plugin files.

I downloaded the snap GIMP 2.10.24 and it doesn't seem to come with Liquid rescale. So this is the only way I was able to use it! Thank you!

I'm on Ubuntu, if anyone needs to know.

rich2005 your appimage extract is also a very useful tip. Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:19 am  (#25) 
GimpChat Member

I still use Gimp 2.10.22 appimage on a daily basis, in a (k)ubuntu 18.04 machine.
It now looks like the appimages, for whatever reason, are discontinued. The latest (last) 2.10.25 appimage(=2.10.24) is very good and worth using.

Quote:
I'm on GIMP 2.10.18 and I can see the Resynthesizer plugin but not the Liquid rescale, and I couldn't find anywhere to download the plugin files.

I also have a (k)ubuntu 20.04 machine and to keep up-to-date use the Panda Jim PPA, Gimp 2.10.28 That works very well but you need to install python support yourself, needed for the resynthesizer 'heal' python plugins. That is also true for the stock 'buntu Gimp 2.10.18 Do you have python support ?

For liquid rescale & Gimp 2.10.18 and later, there is a dependency, liblqr which needs installing. That is in the ubuntu repo and is installed:

sudo apt install liblqr-1-0

Quote:
I downloaded the snap GIMP 2.10.24 and it doesn't seem to come with Liquid rescale

This is a problem with the Gimp snap version. It is 'sandboxed' and will not 'see' the regular lib file so the liquid rescale plugin does not work. A while since I tried it but not impressed.

You could replace the Gimp 'snap' version with the Gimp 'flatpak' That is sandboxed as well, but comes with python 2 support. Various popular plugins have flatpak versions, resynthesizer, liquid rescale, gimp_gmic_qt for installation.