It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What's new in GIMP 2.10.20
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:16 pm  (#21) 
GimpChat Member

I installed this yesterday, and it seems like all the filters are working.
But whats driving me nuts is, the toolbox
I get the drop down but it wont let me click on the tool I want
I really wish I wouldnt have downloaded this,considering everything was fine with the previous version

Another thing thats annoying is I have been getting an error message when I start Gimp, something about mathmap ex, cant find something. I tried figuring it out by process of elimination but still havent figured it out
Its been doing that for over a year

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:28 pm  (#22) 
GimpChat Member

Norseman143 wrote:
I really wish I wouldnt have downloaded this,considering everything was fine with the previous version

Another thing thats annoying is I have been getting an error message when I start Gimp, something about mathmap ex, cant find something. I tried figuring it out by process of elimination but still havent figured it out

Unfortunately, that is the case, Norseman; you now need to use the key string that the drop menu shows to change the icon; I hope they soon address this and allow you to hover and then click for choice, but at the moment, you need to use the key string that shows up for the setting you want. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:52 pm  (#23) 
GimpChat Member

lylejk wrote:
Norseman143 wrote:

Unfortunately, that is the case, Norseman; you now need to use the key string that the drop menu shows to change the icon; I hope they soon address this and allow you to hover and then click for choice, but at the moment, you need to use the key string that shows up for the setting you want. :)

I my Gimp the tools groups is off .

Doron.

Attachments:
use tools groups.png
use tools groups.png [ 517.4 KiB | Viewed 4627 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:21 pm  (#24) 
GimpChat Member

Ah; should have checked to see if there were settings for this. Even so, after a few weeks, I got use to the tools group. Still hope, like Norseman, that they allow click after hover in future versions of GIMP.

edit:

Again, thanks for pointing that out, Doron. If you change the setting to just hover, it will allow you to click on tools instead of just view them. Hope that makes Norseman happy. Just wish they had this setting as the default. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:03 am  (#25) 
GimpChat Member

Only pointed out to me a couple of days ago, but you can scroll through the tools and apply without clicking on the icon.

Makes sense for tool-groups

example: Gimp 2.10.20 https://i.imgur.com/GFPo4dW.mp4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:14 am  (#26) 
Global Moderator

I found BRL in three places in the 2.10.20
I am not sure if they are there from before or not.
Files - create - logos - (gimp chat.com) I probably put that one there at some time Works fine
Filters - Alpha to Logo - Bevel Reflect Logo Can't get this to work with an emap or a gradient. The whole picture that says BRL logo after is blank/transparent?
Filters - Map - ML Bevel Reflect logo 2.0... Won't work either, in fact this one crashes

Thanks for that tip doronf - Now I only have the ones showing that I use the most :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:00 pm  (#27) 
GimpChat Member

RE: Tool Groups, When hovering over a tool group right click to highlight your selection, then left click.
Attachment:
TGRC3.png
TGRC3.png [ 219.86 KiB | Viewed 4552 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:43 am  (#28) 
Global Moderator

Norseman143 wrote:

Unfortunately that is something you will have to get used too and learn to ignore - happened to me for quite some time too and I think it has afftected others the same. Problem is you will not know if there is an actual error.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:47 am  (#29) 
GimpChat Member

RMDesigns wrote:
RE: Tool Groups, When hovering over a tool group right click to highlight your selection, then left click.

Same as a couple of posts back, no clicking required, hover and scroll

https://i.imgur.com/BtnEELt.mp4

Should work for most Gimp users -- of course if you have a graphics tablet might be different.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:36 pm  (#30) 

[quote="rich2005"]Getting very off topic from Lylejk's original post - Sorry
You are wise to wait, only took 3 days this time to revision 1 of the Windows installer ;)
----------------
@david martin
All sorts are possible with the appimage, but it does help if the gutenprint files have been previously installed and working. Copy the required files into the appimage plugins folder.

more off-topic please excuse as i am a beginner here.
@rich2005
I am doing a clean install and have downlined 'openprinting-gutenprint' on Ubuntu 20.04 and installed it.
I have extracted my printer driver 'Epson-500-gutenprint.5.2-en.ppd' and put this in ~/.config/GIMP-AppImage/2.10/plug-ins.config/
more in hope than from any logic.
You say, 'Copy the required files into the appimage plugins folder'. can you help a little more by indicating which files you mean. Do I have to make the files?
Not having gutenprint is a great loss, and although I can use it in a KVM virtual machine of Debian 10 I would prefer to have it in the excellent Appimages and native in Ubuntu 20.04
I am sure many would benefit from this.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:36 am  (#31) 
GimpChat Member

@david martin

Most things are possible but not for the faint-hearted. The comment from the previous post ...but it does help if the gutenprint files have been previously installed and working.

If you want reasonably stress-free then python 2 support can be added to the Ubuntu 20.04 Gimp 2.10.20 see: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Heal- ... 4#pid18354 Not needed for gutenprint but it does give a fully functioning Gimp. Then use a regular Gutenprint install.

As it happens, I decided to put (k)ubuntu 20.04 on my desktop computer. It is not as 'compliant' as earlier 'buntus, not so easy to get old applications working but that is my love of 'old-stuff'. Another decision, only going to use the Appimage Gimp.

Yesterday it came to installing my old Brother J825DW inkjet / scanner. The printer side was not too bad, even though the printer drivers are 32 bit, scanner was a PITA but eventually got it scanning from Gimp 2.10.20 appimage.

Just a note about the appimage, for various reasons (using --verbose mode switch) I unpack it and run it as a permanent installation from disk. Still uses the regular Gimp profile in ~/.config/GIMP-AppImage/2.10/

Today spurred on by you, came Gutenprint. I know it works from my laptop (kubuntu 18.04, wireless connection) For the desktop a USB connection.

First your printer .ppd file. AFAIK that should go in etc/cups/ppd

Some of the gutenprint files can be installed from ubuntu libgutenprint2 is required. Gimp-gutenprint is not possible this way, it has Gimp as a dependency, that will install a regular Gimp, so unpack the deb and put the gutenprint plugin in your Gimp User plug-ins folder.

Does it work? Well it does here but there are any number of things that can (and will) go wrong. Very much up to the user.