It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Overview of GIMP development in 2013
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:17 am  (#21) 
Script Coder

Rod wrote:
Is it possible to add something like a tabbed interface or multi columns for script-fu dialogs? This could definitely help with too long of dialogs that have many value input areas. For instance Fenceposts excellent "Animated Fire" script.
Currently it is so long on low res monitors that it's hard to enter values for each field. He did somewhat shorten the dialog by combining some procedures but it would really be nice if i wanted to write a script with many procedures that could be tabbed or have user input areas in separate columns to shorten the dialogs interface.
Tux and Saulgoode mention two different possibilities.
An NEW SF-PAGE script-fu-register procedure for tabbed interface dialogs, and Scrolling in script-fu dialogs.
http://www.gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9363

Or, hear me out... how about integrating Python really into GIMP, so that GIMP would have an embedded Python interpreter... then, people could stop writing scripts in scheme, and not suffer from carpal tunnel syndrom from hitting the parenthesis keys so much.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:32 am  (#22) 
GimpChat Member

dd wrote:
Rod wrote:
Is it possible to add something like a tabbed interface or multi columns for script-fu dialogs? This could definitely help with too long of dialogs that have many value input areas. For instance Fenceposts excellent "Animated Fire" script.
Currently it is so long on low res monitors that it's hard to enter values for each field. He did somewhat shorten the dialog by combining some procedures but it would really be nice if i wanted to write a script with many procedures that could be tabbed or have user input areas in separate columns to shorten the dialogs interface.
Tux and Saulgoode mention two different possibilities.
An NEW SF-PAGE script-fu-register procedure for tabbed interface dialogs, and Scrolling in script-fu dialogs.
http://www.gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9363

Or, hear me out... how about integrating Python really into GIMP, so that GIMP would have an embedded Python interpreter... then, people could stop writing scripts in scheme, and not suffer from carpal tunnel syndrom from hitting the parenthesis keys so much.

Nope i think tabbed script-fu dialogs will work just fine. :)
But, you are not the only one to bring up the differences between script-fu and python. I think they both have a place in GIMP. :bigthup Well except that script-fu can chop more boards with one single hand-chop. Image

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:59 am  (#23) 
GimpChat Founder

Not to mention that when it comes to indentation, Python is as picky as COBOL. :hehe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:13 pm  (#24) 
GimpChat Member

dd wrote:

After have pushed to become proficient in a language that (almost) nowhere else used abandon support for scheme would be sadistic
Sure even better integration of python (and why not java..also because in the now almost defunct gimp# was a good java module so should be not needed reinvent the wheel )

but all the problem about script fu are really about a triviality, a triviality that make unusable scripts yet a triviality :
the good , old , more old then good since was created almost at beginning of gimp and never revised after, anyway the good old script fu GUI doesn't support scrolling , neither to split dialogue in 2 columns

It seem that the Graphic Interface of script fu should always follow the principle of "Keep it simple and functional.
Now is evident that is simple but if unable to scroll , or to support alternative solution to scroll, then is no more functional and should be revised

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:23 pm  (#25) 
GimpChat Member

hmm I'm not a scriptwriter yet from what I read sounds like a real valid point photocomix,
I've seen many other projects were many possibilities have become bottle-necked by old coding.
Keeping things familiar at the possible cost of progress. script-fu and plugin writers deserve the best tools possible as they broaden the horizons of GIMP and its capability's.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:24 am  (#26) 
GimpChat Member

Carlos Diniz wrote:
prokoudine, I would like to make a suggestion. I liked the visual presentation mode "alpha channel lock" in GIMP 2.6. The visualisation was sharper. Now, in version 2.8 I am always in doubt if the channel is locked or not. The same can be said of "reverse gradient." It would be possible to return to the old way?

OK, several people posted about that, so we discussed it. In short, we acknowledge this can be a problem, but v2.10 is going to have 3 such locks already (alpha channel, transformations, painting), so bringing back checkboxes is hardly a sensible solution. We'll think of something: maybe a different icon when the lock is on, or a better built-in GTK+ theme, or both.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:20 am  (#27) 
Global Moderator

Sounds great, the only problem I have with it now is I can't tell if it is selected or not.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:59 am  (#28) 
GimpChat Member

prokoudine, thanks for the attention.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:31 pm  (#29) 
GimpChat Member

Prokoudine is there any hope for tabbed/page Script Fu procedures in the future?
I think script-fu dialogs with scroll and or/tabbed interfaces would be a nice addition to script writing for future filters and effects.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:09 pm  (#30) 
Script Coder

prokoudine wrote:
Carlos Diniz wrote:
prokoudine, I would like to make a suggestion. I liked the visual presentation mode "alpha channel lock" in GIMP 2.6. The visualisation was sharper. Now, in version 2.8 I am always in doubt if the channel is locked or not. The same can be said of "reverse gradient." It would be possible to return to the old way?

OK, several people posted about that, so we discussed it. In short, we acknowledge this can be a problem, but v2.10 is going to have 3 such locks already (alpha channel, transformations, painting), so bringing back checkboxes is hardly a sensible solution. We'll think of something: maybe a different icon when the lock is on, or a better built-in GTK+ theme, or both.

Small lock icons on top of the regular icons. Bam, solved. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:38 pm  (#31) 
GimpChat Member

While browsing the very rare Gimp development news over the web, i noticed one about the Symmetry crowdfunding that i completely forgot about.

And it appears that the +2000$ target has finally been reached :
http://funding.openinitiative.com/funding/1578/
with apparently 2350,60 €

So that should be one to add in the future Gimp development, Symmetry should make it in, hopefully before the next ten years Gimp 3.0 ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:07 am  (#32) 
GimpChat Member

your wrong
Goal is € 2119,60 - funded are € 1939,60
maybe you have to wait ten years ;) :hehe

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:39 am  (#33) 
Script Coder

silk wrote:
your wrong
Goal is € 2119,60 - funded are € 1939,60
maybe you have to wait ten years ;) :hehe

Reading the comments on the project website: http://girinstud.io/news/2013/09/crowdfunding-proposal-for-symmetrymirror-painting-in-gimp/ seems to suggest that there's something in the funding web-site responsible for the inconsistency, but Jehan doesn't clarify which is the correct number.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:49 am  (#34) 
GimpChat Member

My vote would be for some way to have recordable actions/macros as other apps have.
Being able to click on record and do a sequence of steps then just pressing play whenever you want to do the same thing again is great and saves so much time. Expecting every user to learn how to script is silly - not everyone is capable of that.