It is currently Sat Jun 22, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: GIMP 2.8.12 Released (BROKEN) - GIMP 2.8.14 Released
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:37 pm  (#61) 
GimpChat Member

Rod wrote:
My 64 bit version was buggy too Onkel. Is there a "libgtk-win64-2.0.0.dll" also?

No. The name is still libgtk-win32-2.0.0.dll, but it can be a 64bit version.
Jernej Simoncic used the newest libraries, that were available, when building the windows installer.
It is not gimps fault, it is the fault of the 3rd party libraries, so I think, Jernej Simoncic will create a new
installer soon. In the meanttime, exchange
libgtk-win32-2.0.0.dll
libcairo-2.dll
libpixman-1-0.dll
with the versions from gimp-2.8.10 or use parthas build, if it is out.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:02 pm  (#62) 
GimpChat Member

So if I understand this correctly, 2.8.12 was broken for everybody and got an immediate fix, whereas 2.8.14 is broken for Windows and still available. Which means unsuspecting beginners are downloading a version of GIMP that has a more difficult user interface than usual. Just what we needed. :rofl

When I tell people I use GIMP, more often than not they respond with something like, "why don't you get grownup software like Photoshop?" I try to keep up the good fight... but... but... I mean, shouldn't the broken Windows builds for 2.8.14 be pulled from distribution until they get fixed? How many people do we want to frustrate and send away, probably never to return?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:09 pm  (#63) 
GimpChat Member

I'm sticking with the version I already have. I see no point in installing 2.8.14 until it can be fixed, tested, and given the green light for download.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:08 pm  (#64) 
GimpChat Founder

Acmespace wrote:
shouldn't the broken Windows builds for 2.8.14 be pulled from distribution until they get fixed?

If would think if there are binary packages released by the GIMP team, there should be at least one round of Beta testing before any "Official" releases are made.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:25 pm  (#65) 
GimpChat Member

I think until the library problems with windows are resolved it would be indeed a good idea to pull back the window download for version 2.8.14 from the main gimp website ( http://www.gimp.org/downloads/ ) and maybe put back the link to 2.8.10 that was working good (and still is at least on my system), because 2.8.14 is unfortunately broken on win and will not really help in getting windows people that were giving a try to gimp to stay onboard.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:11 pm  (#66) 
GimpChat Member

I think one of the fundamental flaws of Gimp is GIMP toolkit itself (from which gimp was actually developed),
specifically GTK 2. I'm under impression that the developers are having difficult time keeping up with newer versions of Cairo.
All other applications built on GTK+ have switched to GTK 3 long time ago.

Maybe it was more reasonable to port GIMP to GTK 3 BEFORE porting it to GEGL,
which per se is turning out to be a difficult task to tackle and taking way too long
even by the gimp standards (>3 years now).

Regarding the latest release.
Bug fixes are important of course. Maybe it was a problem for other platforms, don't know,
I'm only using Windows, and can't recall any nasty bugs since 2.8.6 maybe.

I understand that the gimp team lacks developers for Windows
platform but fixing something without breaking other things is important too.

Agree with comments above that 2.8.10 for Win should be the only latest stable version
available for download now until all the problems are solved.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:57 pm  (#67) 
GimpChat Member

I think this is simply not true. Don't forget, that GTK originated with Gimp as a replacement for the Motif toolkit. :)

In any case, there is a lot of discussion regarding moving to GTK+3 within the Gimp and Inkscape developer community. I don't think it's that simple and in fact a lot of the Linux distros have not moved to GTK+3.

Gimp is provided as an open source software and most developers are providing their time and effort without asking anything in return. Sometimes things happen. So, some patience would be nice. :)

Finally, even the title of this thread is not correct. Only on Linux systems, some library references were not correct. 2.8.12 Windows and Mac platforms was never effected by this. You were always free to compile it yourself as I have and 2.8.12 compiled and worked fine (http://www.mail-archive.com/gimp-develo ... 05380.html).

Hope that helps.
Partha

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:09 pm  (#68) 
GimpChat Founder

partha wrote:
Finally, even the title of this thread is not correct.

"Broken" isn't my words, Partha. That came directly from Mitch.

Mitch wrote:
Yesterday's 2.8.12 release had broken library versioning, please don't distribute any binaries of 2.8.12!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:14 pm  (#69) 
GimpChat Member

GnuTux wrote:
partha wrote:
Finally, even the title of this thread is not correct.

"Broken" isn't my words, Partha. That came directly from Mitch.

Mitch wrote:
Yesterday's 2.8.12 release had broken library versioning, please don't distribute any binaries of 2.8.12!

You are correct. He did say that of course.

But for me, the title of this thread seem to imply that the release itself was broken. It was not. Only the library versioning on Linux systems was broken. Anyway, it's semantics and it's already out there. :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:40 pm  (#70) 
GimpChat Member

partha wrote:
Gimp is provided as an open source software and most developers are providing their time and effort without asking anything in return. Sometimes things happen. So, some patience would be nice. :)

The fact that GTK 3 would be much better for gimp isn't just my wish but confirmed
by the developers reality. Things like partially broken graphics tablet support can never be fixed within GTK 2.

I am being patient and, by all means, not demanding new releases to be bound to some fixed timetables.
As for the GEGL porting taking too long - just stating the obvious fact.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:32 pm  (#71) 
Script Coder

In scripts the one problem I've fully tested for is is whenever gimp is asked to stroke,it literally has one,
(after having a major one back in 97 I can tell) it goes around not knowing what to do then greys out and falls over

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:16 am  (#72) 
GimpChat Founder

Graechan wrote:
whenever gimp is asked to stroke,it literally has one, ... it goes around not knowing what to do then greys out and falls over

:lol That's hilarious! :hehe

I was testing to see if there were stroke issues in Linux and RFT seems OK.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:51 am  (#73) 
GimpChat Member

Well i am sticking with GIMP-2.8.10 for now. Unless Partha wants to share his compiled version. :lol
For sure 2.8.14 is still having library referencing problems. Python, icons and themes, and the PDB all seem to be broken in the windows 8 64 bit version still. I haven't heard any new release information from Gimp User website either so i assume it is still a problem?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:57 am  (#74) 
Script Coder

But GnuTux that means it is windows based only! what an absolute pain as it probably won't get fixed.
windows users will be left on 2.8.10.
I wonder if parthas build is better, I could not find the download for a portable

Hi Rod

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:06 am  (#75) 
GimpChat Member

GnuTux wrote:
If would think if there are binary packages released by the GIMP team, there should be at least one round of Beta testing before any "Official" releases are made.

Normally, no beta testing needed. The source is available for everybody. Bugzilla is available for everybody. The range of functions for the 2.8 branch is frozen. So, after making a new release (2.8.10), bugs can be reported. The developer team try to fix a) the older bugs, b) the new bugs reported. It is not easy to track the bugs, some want to have new functions and report their wishes as bugs, some of the bugs come from a broken system and cannot be confirmed by others but most of the bugs are fixed. Those fixes are tested by the developer team shortly after they are fixed and committed to the source repository. After a while, the developer team says, "There were so many and severe bugs that we fixed, we should make a new release". Then, a new release is made.
For linux, because gimp is written and developed in and for linux.
One of the devlopers makes the official windows build and takes the newest libraries, that are also originally written for linux and bundles them to the windows release. So, the errors of the libraries (in this case gtk+ and cairo) can not be beta tested by the gimp developers. They had to beta test hundreds of libraries. In fact, they do that in many libraries, at least, they report bugs.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:10 am  (#76) 
GimpChat Member

Hi Graechan. :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:15 am  (#77) 
GimpChat Member

Rod wrote:
Well i am sticking with GIMP-2.8.10 for now. Unless Partha wants to share his compiled version. :lol
For sure 2.8.14 is still having library referencing problems. Python, icons and themes, and the PDB all seem to be broken in the windows 8 64 bit version still. I haven't heard any new release information from Gimp User website either so i assume it is still a problem?

Hi Rod.

Hmm, I do not have win8/64, but if the PDB would be broken, no plugin and none of the filters would work. They all make use of the PDB.
Is that right? Or what is the problem? Have you reported a bug?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:32 am  (#78) 
Script Coder

Onkel Hatti scripts and plugins seem to work OK but in the portable windows version of 2.8.14 that I have from Samj as soon as a script attempts to stroke it has one and shuts down

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:45 am  (#79) 
GimpChat Member

Graechan wrote:
... as soon as a script attempts to stroke it has one and shuts down

I do not understand that. English is not my native language. Can you say it in other words?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:53 am  (#80) 
Script Coder

Onkel Hatti Sorry for my vague description, when a script is running and it comes to a stroke command windows closes gimp no errors are given

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next