It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gimp 2.8.14
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:18 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

My builds are available at www.partha.com. I have include G'MIC 1.6.0.0, latest UFRaw etc. Also, scrolling script-fu provided by GnuTux is include.

Thanks,
Partha

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Gimp 2.8.14
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:31 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

When I'm less tired, I'll try your build Partha; the main build's way too buggy based on what I'm hearing others here say. Cool that you included Tux's Scrolling Script-fu. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:45 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Founder

Great news! Thanks for adding the scrolling interface. :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:57 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

GnuTux wrote:
Great news! Thanks for adding the scrolling interface. :)

No problemo, GnuTux. :)

Just need some testers now.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:58 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

lylejk wrote:
When I'm less tired, I'll try your build Partha; the main build's way too buggy based on what I'm hearing others here say. Cool that you included Tux's Scrolling Script-fu. :)

Lyle,

My builds are self contained. Will not interfere with your builds or current installation. Please do read the caveats I posted on my website.

Thanks,
Partha

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:48 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Partha

will you be making a 32bit build?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:49 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

partha wrote:
My builds are available at http://www.partha.com. I have include G'MIC 1.6.0.0, latest UFRaw etc. Also, scrolling script-fu provided by GnuTux is include.

Thanks,
Partha

Hi Partha

It would be interesting, if your build does not contain the gtk+ and the cairo/pixman error?

Hatti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:41 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

I tried the 2.9 version but half the stuff doesn't seem to work . many of previews show black image in GMIC .
filer like advanced tone mapping throws some error that plug-in is not right .
Interactive refocus plugin just goes unresponsive when clicked ok .

Never tired 2.9 before so maybe its just buggy .

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:33 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Founder

That has been my experience as well, Edkiefer. It's interesting to check out the development version on occasion, just to see where things are going, but it's usually not stable enough for daily use.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:44 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Edkiefer wrote:
I tried the 2.9 version but half the stuff doesn't seem to work . many of previews show black image in GMIC .

Purely for 16-bit or 32-bit work, I don't find it buggy, but slow if you have less than 16G RAM.

Note that some the current crop of plugins are purely 8-bit. If you have any specific issues with the 2.9 version, some specifics along with screenshots would be helpful. Finally, if you need help, drop me a line on my website.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:45 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Onkel Hatti wrote:
partha wrote:
My builds are available at http://www.partha.com. I have include G'MIC 1.6.0.0, latest UFRaw etc. Also, scrolling script-fu provided by GnuTux is include.

Thanks,
Partha

Hi Partha

It would be interesting, if your build does not contain the gtk+ and the cairo/pixman error?

Hatti

Hi Hatti,

Long time. :)

What errors are those?

Thanks,
Partha

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:52 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

I've actually been polling your website since the announcement. I'm downloading as I write this.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:58 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

WW wrote:
I've actually been polling your website since the announcement. I'm downloading as I write this.

Hey WW! Long time. :)

Yes, please let me know if you have any issues with McGimp.

Thanks,
Partha

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:01 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

partha wrote:
Edkiefer wrote:

Purely for 16-bit or 32-bit work, I don't find it buggy, but slow if you have less than 16G RAM.

Note that some the current crop of plugins are purely 8-bit. If you have any specific issues with the 2.9 version, some specifics along with screenshots would be helpful. Finally, if you need help, drop me a line on my website.

If it was just one or two I would do that . Looks like I'll just go back to 2.8 as everything before in your build seemed to work .

So I see there no installer with at least 2.9 so I just delete folder and try 2.8.14 ?

PS: I removed the .gimp2.8 folder under user path so there was no conflict there .

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:08 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

Edkiefer wrote:
partha wrote:
Edkiefer wrote:

If it was just one or two I would do that . Looks like I'll just go back to 2.8 as everything before in your build seemed to work .

So I see there no installer with at least 2.9 so I just delete folder and try 2.8.14 ?

PS: I removed the .gimp2.8 folder under user path so there was no conflict there .

There are no installers with either. :) As, I stated on my website, I am trying to be as un-intrusive as possible.

You can keep them both side by side. If you want high color editing, you need 2.9. Otherwise, you are fine with 2.8.14.

Don't sell 2.9 short. It's come a long way. You'll be pleasantly surprised if you give it a chance. Note that 2.9 is geared more to photography and so if you use the GEGL plugins, you should not have any issues.

Last edited by partha on Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:14 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

ok, I can leave it, I do use gimp for mainly photo stuff .

Edit: 2.8.14 GMIC all worked (preview showed image and not black image ).
everything seemed to work under filter>enhanced but the interactive refocus, that still just goes grayed out with no progress bar showing and nothing happens over few mins.
uses only 25% CPU and 48% ram so its not running out of anything .
System is i5 3570k/8gigs memory, W7 pro 64bit .

Last edited by Edkiefer on Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:17 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

Edkiefer wrote:
ok, I can leave it, I do use gimp for mainly photo stuff .

Then you will be happy with 2.9. Stick to the GEGL plugins and the wavelet family. Also, UFRaw will send 16-bit images to 2.9 which it wont for 2.8.x series.

Let me know if you need any assistance. I am glad to help. :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:28 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

Ok, I'll mess around with 2.9 some more tomorrow , its getting late here .

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:33 pm  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

partha wrote:
WW wrote:

Hey WW! Long time. :)

Yes, please let me know if you have any issues with McGimp.

Thanks,
Partha

Wonders where my reply as gone too. Much to early for me to function.

(retyping due last bermuda triangle took my last post)

Hey yes Partha, long time. I'm part-time hobbyist at best so that explain that. Recently I've been needing to use Gimp so happy to see this turn of events. I'll take a bug-fix version any day.

Only thing I can see different from another version I've been running is the dimmed out or grey ToolBox Icons and Dockable Docks info/icons and such. I played around and see that is probably due to the "theme". With the other build it has some other theme called "pro". Not sure if this is from the dev or from the plugin GPS thingy with all the fancy brushes and things.

Other than that, I'll work it more in the next few weeks or longer.

ww

(edit) Oh and Kudos for the turnaround in getting this built so soon after the announcement and release.

Last edited by WW on Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:35 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Founder

partha wrote:

Well, the last two times I compiled GIMP 2.9 from GIT, it was pretty much unusable for my daily workflow. Admittedly, I don't compile from GIT very often and the last time I tested was several months ago. I don't do much photo manipulation either.

I'm certainly not implying there are any major issues with the 2.9 version you are distributing. I was just sharing my general impression and experiences with snapshot compiles of GIMP 2.9 from GIT.