It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to Gimp but screen doesn't look like everyone else's ;-)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:34 pm  (#1) 

I have been trying to use photoshop for years and someone suggested GIMP. I downloaded the latest version and have been watching several tutorials, but my GIMP screen does NOT look like any of them. The tools are in black and grey, screen is dark.. I'm on MAC OX Os. Could it not have loaded correctly? Yet still work? I have a screen shot, just not sure how to post or attach it here.
HELP!!! I feel GIMP!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: New to Gimp but screen doesn't look like everyone else's ;-)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:23 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Hi welcome to Gimpchat. Ok I'm going to try to help you.
Start Gimp and go on the menu to: Edit. Down on the bottom you'll find "Preferences", click on it and a new window will pop up. On the side menu look for Icon themes and there are 4 choices. Two of them are are in colors choose the one you desire. Press OK on the Preferences and that is it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:08 am  (#3) 
Global Moderator

The latest version may not have the same skin as a lot of tutortials. If i remember correctly the default skin was light colour.Do as Pocholo suggested and change to your preference. Now the icons are changed depending on your icon theme. You are given the option to change them back to legacy (the older type) colour or symbolic - some of the names of tools have changed too, like Blend used to be gradient. If you cannot find a certain tool etc think of what else it could be called that is similar.

I think what you may be seeing a diference in is where people place their windows? They are able to be place in a multitude of ways.
In the early days of Gimp there were three major windows.
1 for tools and tool options, another for layers and brushes,patterns gradients etc. Also one just for the canvas. The first two could probably be changed around and added to but I don't go right back to the start only 2.6 Which is probably when most of the tutorials were made. Give it a while and we will get a few for 2.10 :)
I do remember the single window for your picturecanvas. Now you can have the choice of one window or 3. Many people have found it easier to use the one window mode which came in with version 2.8 or single windows if they use more than one monitor.

Last edited by sallyanne on Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:51 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

@ABUofTx

This is a demo for setting Gimp 2.10 up for a smaller display, even if you are using an HD display there might be a few tips worth considering:

https://youtu.be/8M2P0N-qhm0 7 minutes

The first minute deals with changing the theme, probably all that is required.

edit:
and this one about moving the docks around https://youtu.be/01PeLL1F8Kg 4 minutes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:43 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

You don't need to changing Gimp theme, Just use tool/s that already used in tutorials.
And I recommend you to save (in your mind) hotkey for all tools as example {Brush --> "P"},that's useful to save your time.