It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2024 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Linux Computer Updating To Gimp 2.10
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:23 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

On this Ubuntu computer Gimp updated to 2.10.
I tried to lock the Gimp version from being updated with Synaptic package manager.
Synaptic > 'Package' on top menu > 'Lock version'.

Some Gimp users do production work and don't need their Gimp to update at random. :bigthup

Last edited by Tas_mania on Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Linux Distros Updating To Gimp 2.10
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:40 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Gimp 2.8.22 is the current stable version. 2.10 is an experimental version, so there should be no auto update until 2.10 becomes the stable version.

You have two other choices. Use a Gimp 2.8.22 apimage, or edit the scripts in question to reflect the new parameters. I did this on a couple of scripts. A better way yet, is to learn how to do it without the scripts.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:25 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
there should be no auto update until 2.10 becomes the stable version

Xubuntu seems to be a long way ahead. I've had 18.04 Bionic Beaver since last year. It definitely installed this:

I have this in Software and Updates:
"http://ppa.launchpad.net/otto-kesselgulasch/gimp/ubuntu"
That PPA is not the 'Edge' version. I will spend more time on Gimp 2.10 and try to hack some of the scripts that don't work :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:42 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Ubuntu is a little strange in having those PPA's

Looking at distrowatch, the Gimp versions are
18.04 Gimp 2.8.22
17.04 Gimp 2.8.20
16.04 Gimp 2.8.16

However, enabling a particular PPA gets either a Gimp 2.9/10 version or a latest and greatest Gimp 2.8.x All you need to do is disable the applicable PPA.

Synaptic is rapidly becoming dropped due to old age, however it is still the first thing I install. Been using it for 12 years, why change ;)

example: https://i.imgur.com/7uzdcFe.jpg

You can do an overall fix installed. There is an option for this. Not a great idea.
You can also manually edit the preferences in etc/apt, an even worse idea.

Appimage or Flatpak? Both have snags, the pixlus appimage has problems with scripts and plugins, That appimage, I personally do not like the philosophy behind it. Do you really want to download 150 MB just to update gmic?

Flatpak, at least you can add scripts/plugins to it. But being in a container makes for problems. Why does gmic not work? no support for libfft3w. Hopefully it all gets fixed in the future.

If you have a reasonable computer, an alternative, install a Linux in a VirtualBox and use that.

edit: there you are. A kubuntu 18.04 and Gimp 2.10RC2 from ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp-edge

edit again: Getting old plugins to work? Run gimp in a terminal and check the error messages. This for example Mathmap https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Gimp- ... 56#pid7656

what does is need:
from the repo: libgtksourceview2.0-0 libnoise0 libjpeg62
and installed manually in usr/lib: libgif.so.4 libgsl.so.0

of course all depends on your distro :)

Post subject: Re: Linux Computer Updating To Gimp 2.10
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:12 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for the advice racer-x and rich2005. It turned out to be the PPA (personal package archive) from here:
https://launchpad.net/~otto-kesselgulasch/+archive/ubuntu/gimp

I wasn't using the 'edge' PPA and I have edited this thread to show what happened.
I think I installed that PPA to get the latest G'MIC. :cool

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:05 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

What's the difference with normal and edge versions?
I read earlier somewhere that 2.10 will not work on Ubuntu 16.04LTS, upgraded to 18.04 so that I can start playing with new features.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:29 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Nidhogg wrote:
What's the difference with normal and edge versions?
I read earlier somewhere that 2.10 will not work on Ubuntu 16.04LTS, upgraded to 18.04 so that I can start playing with new features.

You are correct, not going to work on 'buntu 16.04 without some major updating of packages.

In Debian terms

Gimp 2.10 was slipped into ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/ubuntu/gimp a day ago, replacing Gimp 2.8.22 because it is now unstable ie subject to change. Gimp 2.10.0 / 1 / 2/ ..but deemed safe for general release.

Rather than stable which will not change. ie Gimp 2.8.22 is the last of 2.8.x series

Only applies to 'buntu 18.04, earlier 'buntu versions are stuck at Gimp 2.8.22

ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp-edge deals with 'testing' packages. Not sure what the next will be, some odd number, Gimp 2.11.x maybe. Use that for cutting edge, but often flakey.

If you upped your 'buntu to 18.04 you will have no problem with either repo.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:22 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Well just for the hell of it, I installed Kubuntu 18.04 on a VM. I then added the PPA that Tas_mania posted and installed Gimp 2.10, then installed the latest G'mic. It didn't show up there either. Wasted my time on that wild goose chase...

According to a post on G'mic website, they need to update G'mic to use the new Gimp 2.10 API. So we all have to wait for an updated G'mic.
https://twitter.com/gmic_ip

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:31 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
According to a post on G'mic website, they need to update G'mic to use the new Gimp 2.10 API.

That's the problem with the latest versions of open source software. I use a different computer for experimenting with newer versions (same as using a VM). There is probably a QT library that is stopping G'mic from running on Gimp 2.10.
Starting Gimp from a command line with the
gimp --verbose
switch helps to see what the problem is. Not everybody enjoys fault-finding software.

There is even a name for it....'dependency hell'. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:21 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

QT maybe out at the moment, but you can still use the GTK version.

A few hints and screenshots here:

https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Issue ... 65#pid7765