It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2024 8:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gimp 2.10 Released !!!!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:04 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Hello Gimp Users

Gimp 2.10 Released !!!!

Doron.

Attachments:
Gimp 2.10.jpg
Gimp 2.10.jpg [ 83.9 KiB | Viewed 5340 times ]
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Gimp 2.10 Released !!!!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:30 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

flatpak in a kubuntu 16.04

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:52 am  (#3) 
Global Moderator

Not for windows yet :(

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:59 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

I've got Gimp v2.10.0 Stable installed via flatpak in Linux Mint 18.3. It all works very well, except G'mic won't load at all. No idea why that is. strangely enough, G'mic loaded fine on this flatpak before it auto-updated to v2.10 from v2.8.22. Hopefully, they will release a fix soon...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:47 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

i see they have a window version so i downloaded, but after checking the file name that contain "x64" and actually trying the installer (as on the download page there's still the "The installer contains both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of GIMP, and will automatically use the appropriate one. " ... only to be told by the installer that it's only for x64 system.

So the less i can say is that i'm bummed after all that time hoping to finally see the mirror tool on my gimp and not being able to install the program on that pc.

2.8.x (and previous) window installers had both the 32 and 64 bits version, so does that mean the devs have given up on 32bits ?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:10 pm  (#6) 
Global Moderator

Downloaded and tried to install the Windows version, which apparently comes from a "trusted mirror site'.
As soon as I tried to install the new GIMP 2.10 my virus checker immediately sent it to quarantine stating that the program contained 'Filerepmalware'.

EDIT - tried a direct download from GIMP.ORG but after an hour of slow downloading it was only 10% complete so I gave up.

Respect should be offered freely but hard earned

Last edited by oldmangrumpy on Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:37 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

I wait for a samj's package release...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:46 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Sounds to me like Gimp 2.10 still has bugs when it comes to downloading it. I'll wait for a fix.

EDIT: I downloaded the program from the site which is a mirror site, tried to install it and Windows Defender SmartScreen has prevented me from running the program because it's unrecognizable and running the program could my put computer at risk, so I gave up.

Last edited by mackenzieh on Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:56 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:16 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

I used the torrent option for the download.
Very quick, no problems.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:13 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Awesome :paint

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:29 am  (#11) 
Global Moderator

Brogun wrote:
i see they have a window version so i downloaded, but after checking the file name that contain "x64" and actually trying the installer (as on the download page there's still the "The installer contains both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of GIMP, and will automatically use the appropriate one. " ... only to be told by the installer that it's only for x64 system.

So the less i can say is that i'm bummed after all that time hoping to finally see the mirror tool on my gimp and not being able to install the program on that pc.

2.8.x (and previous) window installers had both the 32 and 64 bits version, so does that mean the devs have given up on 32bits ?

Samj usually does a 32bit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:59 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Downloaded 64 bit version directly with no difficulty. Antivirus warned of not many users but continued when directed without any 'nasties' alerts flagged.

"Let no one steal your dreams."
Paul Cookson

Latest plug-in update: Selection Highlights v.0.1
Custom Font Links
Tools
Character Paths
White Bases

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:44 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Gimp 2.10.0 (via the otto-kesselgulasch ppa) works very (very!) well on Xubuntu 17.10, including G'Mic. My G'Mic version comes from the Xubuntu repo's. It (G'Mic) has difficulties previewing and/or processing 32-bit floating point images (those produced when importing 14-bit raw files via Darktable or RawTherapee into Gimp). Downsizing them to 16-bit integer or floating point solves that.

My first (and second and third!) impression is that this version 2.10.0 is really a very powerful piece of software to do photo processing. In combination with the raw import capabilities and G'Mic one has everything at hand to finish any job with ease.

Thanks everyone for these wonderful open-source products!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:48 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

I downloaded from the Gimp download page, direct download Windows 10 64 bit
I had a ton of exe files in the plugin folder that weren't compatable along with G'MIC.
I deleted all of them from the plugin folder and installed G'MIC in the filters folder along with libcairo-2.dll according to this post.
http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=15844
G"MIC QT zip version still doesn't work.
Gimp 2.10 is working fine though.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:27 pm  (#15) 
Global Moderator

I got up real early to try the download from GIMP.ORG again, assuming it would be much quicker this time of day. It was but the installation threw up loads of 'dll' error messages and of course uninstalled the 2.8 version.

On checking the new 2.10 version I quickly saw what all those error messages referred to - there appears to be no Script-fu capability or 'scheme' filters available. Under my user name there is no '.gimp-2.10' folder but '.gimp2.8' is still there and it contains all the scripts/personal gradients/patterns which are available in the new GIMP 2.10.

Result = 'Senior's Confusion', but luckily everything is backed up if I need to restore.

Respect should be offered freely but hard earned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:01 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

myself wrote:

Noticed on the gimp reddit someone asked about it and one of the gimp developer replied that it was just the new guy making the installers that didn't had a 32bits environment for building 32bits version
Quote:
The website is wrong, sorry about that.

The current installer is 64-bit only, because the stand-in for our usual installer maintainer does not have a 32-bit development environment set up.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:23 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

Very not happy that GIMP 2.10x insists on uninstalling 2.8x and then use the user folder for 2.8 for itself. This practice needs to end; GIMP 2.10x should install in it's own folder and use another GIMP customization folder. Since, as I suspected, got a heck of a lot of errors due to incompatible plugins, I completely uninstalled 2.10x, deleted the customize folder, copied a backup (smart I was this time) and reinstalled GIMP 2.8.22. Funny thing is, GIMP 2.8.22 now runs a 3rd faster; don't notice anything missing yet, but I suspect I might have lost something (since why is GIMP so spiffy?). lol

I'll wait until the developers address keeping older versions of GIMP intact before I do this exercise again; may look at samj's portable version if she's released it yet in the meantime. Don't usually like portable versions, but I guess I have no choice. I even tried to do a customized install, but the install would not let me choose another folder other than the previous GIMP; not happy about that.

And yes, I took my New Years Day holiday today (since I needed the day off to play in a concert which has now done), so Happy New Years to you all. lol

:)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:44 am  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

lylejk wrote:
Don't usually like portable versions, but I guess I have no choice.

What about the Partha build? (due in the next 2/3 days).
https://www.partha.com/

Last edited by TimeLord on Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:16 am  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

lylejk wrote:
Very not happy that GIMP 2.10x insists on uninstalling 2.8x and then use the user folder for 2.8 for itself. This practice needs to end; GIMP 2.10x should install in it's own folder and use another GIMP customization folder. Since, as I suspected, got a heck of a lot of errors due to incompatible plugins, I completely uninstalled 2.10x, deleted the customize folder, copied a backup (smart I was this time) and reinstalled GIMP 2.8.22. Funny thing is, GIMP 2.8.22 now runs a 3rd faster; don't notice anything missing yet, but I suspect I might have lost something (since why is GIMP so spiffy?). lol

I'll wait until the developers address keeping older versions of GIMP intact before I do this exercise again; may look at samj's portable version if she's released it yet in the meantime. Don't usually like portable versions, but I guess I have no choice. I even tried to do a customized install, but the install would not let me choose another folder other than the previous GIMP; not happy about that.

And yes, I took my New Years Day holiday today (since I needed the day off to play in a concert which has now done), so Happy New Years to you all. lol

Hello, my friend.

I did the same process after I got 4 different errors.
I will also wait until the developers address keeping older versions of GIMP intact.
And I am also waiting for samj's portable version.

Doron.
4X5DF.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:14 am  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

lylejk wrote:

2.10 user folder is hidden. You have to use folder and search options to show hidden files and folders to see it
The path is:
C:/Users/yourname/AppData/Roaming/GIMP/2.10

Last edited by Nidhogg on Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.