It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PhotoGimp gets some publicity
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:01 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

https://www.dpreview.com/news/057111989 ... oto-editor

Now try and follow some Gimp tutorials!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: PhotoGimp gets some publicity
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:09 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

First time I've heard of PhotoGimp. That looks just like the way my Gimp is set up. I've had it that way since day one, I don't like the original interface. Following tutorials is not a problem, though I rarely ever do anyway. It's great that Gimp can be configurable and that makes it my favorite image editor.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:04 am  (#3) 
Global Moderator

That makes me angry :hoh . Why does it HAVE to look like potostop anyway!?
I thought the key shortcuts could be changed to whatever you wanted?

I had the thin line of tools a while back too, only because I had such a small screen and needed the room.
Gimp can almost be put in whatever arrangement you want too - including color grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Last edited by sallyanne on Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:41 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

A lot depends on how experienced the Gimp user is. The most common form of gripe from a newcomer starts Gimp does not work.. followed with a partial screenshot of 'what is not working' in a PS type setup. Then you have to ask Where are the Tool Options ? They think it is clever to set 'free' Gimp to look like 'expensive' PS

The default Gimp setup with tools directly above the tool options is ideal for a beginner. Once all the Gimp options are explored (maybe after a couple of years use ;) ) then set up, to suit your own purpose. Photography is different from Pixel-Art.

I have used Gimp from version 2.2 through to the present 2.10.20 and still think the best setup is a 2.8 single window type setup. Tools and tool options one side, docks for Layers and Paths / Brushes & Patterns on the other. Easy to get at. Also good for those laptops with 1366 x 768 displays, still plenty of those around.

The default Gimp 2.10 is better suited to a HD display, all those never used tabs ....aargh...

Then from the PhotoGIMP patch blurb.
Hundreds of new fonts that mimic those available in Photoshop - Just asking for trouble
New Python-based filters, such as 'heal selection' - is it that difficult to install resythesizer ?
Default settings maximize the space on the canvas - there is always the tab key to temporarily hide the docks. (Although that is another newby question, 'where have the docks gone ;) )

Edit: Just had a scan at what is on offer.
Looks like it is just for a linux flatpak at the moment although you can unzip and get at the brushes and fonts if you so desire. Extra plugins? straight from the Debian gimp-plugin-registry package. Some do not work, Separate+ for example
------
As an alternative, when it comes to Gimp linux flatpak, there are now additions available, no more side loading missing lib files
What there is: BIMP / Resynthesizer & python plugins / Liquid Rescale / Lensfun / GmicQT - that last one is a winner.
I posted some details here: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Linux ... s-official