It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I Made A Gmic-Gimp Appimage
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:17 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

This idea worked. Because Gimp is a dependency of 'gimp-gmic' it's possible to make a Gimp appimage (quite easily) that fully integrates gmic.
This appimage is G'MIC 2.9.6 and Gimp 2.10.24.
The method uses deb packs from the same repo. I notice G'MIC 3.02 is out so I could pair that with Gimp 2.10.30 or later.

I wasted a lot of time trying to bundle Python2.7 into this. I wish it was integrated into GIMP. Afferero used a lot of scripting to bundle his Gimp appimages but they are hard to recycle for me :) I got it down to 215Mb and learned how to do thinning.

AppImages usually load from /tmp/ with a random ID. Afferero got around this by making them use the same ID.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: I Made A Gmic-Gimp Appimage
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:38 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

The Aferrero's appimage continuous release allowed us to use the latest G'MIC (the one that we download from https://gmic.eu ), even the one with plugin https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-ap ... continuous
May be you don't need to include G'MIC? If so your appimage will be lighter as well :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:43 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Hi Patrice,
I have been using the new LTS Ubuntu 22.04 for a few weeks and it's getting close to release. I've noticed some changes. Firefox is now only installed as a snap (which has its own root folder.)
I think G'MIC is now installed with Gimp. That's a good move. It's there and I didn't install it.

I like playing with appimages now that I can make them from debs. Ubuntu DVD installers use squashfs so I can't see them dropping appimage support. It is a security risk but so is dropping coffee in your machine :) Squashfs lets you move symlinks to other computers which normal file systems can't do.

I got the old MathMap plugin for Gimp working in a Gimp 2.10.30 appimage. I notice it's animated sphere filter has x,y and z axis which makes it a 3d app. Maybe G'MIC has some 3d filters. David is a smart guy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:23 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Just a reminder about 'buntu 22.04 and presumably spin-offs

Attachment:
fuse3.jpg
fuse3.jpg [ 99.24 KiB | Viewed 1331 times ]

Appimage (rockridge system) mounts using fuse. In particular fuse2 which is deprecated in 22.04 where fuse3 is default. You can still install fuse2.

This goes back a year, upto 3 weeks ago, worth a read
https://github.com/AppImage/AppImageKit/issues/1120

I use quite a few appimages, LibreOffice, Krita etc.. However when it comes to Gimp the PPA's now have Gimp 2.10.30 versions that run in 'buntu 18.04 / 20.04 so an appimage, as an update, not really necessary anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:53 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Hi Rich, there are no issues with AppImages and fuse3 on the latest Ubuntu 22.04 jammy. They all work.

I notice Firefox loading as a snap file takes longer than it used to.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:37 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Tas_mania wrote:
Hi Patrice,
I have been using the new LTS Ubuntu 22.04 for a few weeks and it's getting close to release. I've noticed some changes. Firefox is now only installed as a snap (which has its own root folder.)

What??? Ohh gosh Noooo! It's time for me to switch distro as I just HATE snaps, they made me very snappy.
It's 2 years that my kids are on MX Linux (they are my distros test :hehe ), it's a pure joy.
(although Ubuntu-MATE is rock solid, 6 years in a row without any problem and as fast as the first day, but forcing me snaps... No)

Tas_mania wrote:
I think G'MIC is now installed with Gimp. That's a good move. It's there and I didn't install it.

I like playing with appimages now that I can make them from debs. Ubuntu DVD installers use squashfs so I can't see them dropping appimage support. It is a security risk but so is dropping coffee in your machine :) Squashfs lets you move symlinks to other computers which normal file systems can't do.

I got the old MathMap plugin for Gimp working in a Gimp 2.10.30 appimage. I notice it's animated sphere filter has x,y and z axis which makes it a 3d app. Maybe G'MIC has some 3d filters. David is a smart guy.

[ Image ]

GIMP installed with G'MIC, good, but I'm sure it's a snap :mrgreen:

That's cool that mathmap works with your appimage, I'll give a try to your appimage (is it with mathmap inside?)

Indeed G'MIC has 3D filters/things like 3D animations, mostly in "Rendering" and "Sequences", and even 3D effect/maps in "Stereoscopic 3D")

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:06 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Hi Patrice, Gimp and GMIC could be part of a clean install from DVD. I upgraded 2 of my systems and now I'm not sure :(

Snaps - losing 5 to 10 seconds everytime you start a browser adds-up over the life of a system. Because it's linux somebody will come-up with an alternative.

I uploaded a Mathmap Lite AppImage

I called it 'Lite' because it loads an installed Gimp version 2.10.30. The appimage starts Gimp with MathMap (and GMIC if its installed).

I'm thinning a 'Full' Gimp/MathMap/GMIC at the moment and the target is Ubuntu 20.04 and 22.04.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:13 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
there are no issues with AppImages and fuse3 on the latest Ubuntu 22.04 jammy. They all work.

Looks that way, I did an upgrade to 22.04 (VirtualBox) and the warning message has gone. The only one I really tried is the latest Inkscape 1.1.2 appimage and that starts up ok.

Quote:
I called it 'Lite' because it loads an installed Gimp version 2.10.30. The appimage starts Gimp with MathMap (and GMIC if its installed).

Very clever, I disabled my regular mathmap installation, Kubuntu 20.04 / Gimp 2.10.30 (from PPA) and that works....but oh the bloat ;) 90 MB for a plugin+files that occupies 3.5 MB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:19 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
Very clever,
I wish. I thought the bloat was gimp but it was actually loading the installed gimp hence I called it 'Lite'. I didn't even look inside it - lots more thinning :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:07 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

I ran the Mathmap lite appimage, but can't locate mathmap. Where exactly should it be found so I can test?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:24 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Hi racer-x, its in Filters > Generic > MathMap > MathMap

I cut-down the AppImage to 2.7Mb.

This AppImage was a mistake but turned out to be a novel way of launching a Gimp plug-in. Tha MathMap binary calls Gimp and doesn't care where it is :)

Composer is tricky to use but can make 2d animations.
The video is terrible because I was having coughing fits while making it. Not sure what happened I don't do dope.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:36 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

This latest one doesn't work here on Linux Mint 20.3 (ubunto 20-04). The other light version works but mathmap doesn't show up. After extraction, it seems the mathmap link is broken.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:54 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

None of them work, the 2 version (80Mb and the 2.7Mb) does nothing (yes I give it the right to be executed as program)
Ubuntu-MATE 20.04, GIMP 2.10.30 PPA from Panda Jim, your appimage launched from my ~/Desktop/

Attachment:
screenshot_20220408-105331.png
screenshot_20220408-105331.png [ 160.4 KiB | Viewed 612 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:14 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

I made a MathMap AppImage for Ubuntu 20.04 systems.

When tested it loaded the installed Gimp 2.10.18 for this Ubuntu.

I'm interested in how it goes (or doesn't go) on a 20.04 system.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:38 am  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

Tas, that last one "Gimp-Math-MapUbuntu-20-04-x86_64.AppImage" launches here just fine, but again no mathmap. I presume mathmap must be installed in system for it to work as it lists the mathmap link as broken. I checked when I extracted the appimage and looked in "squashfs-root/root/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/".

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:13 am  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Hi racer, its in squashfs-Lite/root/usr/bin/mathmap.
In Gimp it's under Filters > generic

Making appimages this way is based on deb packs so its close to the original operating system. I haven't tested on the PPA downloaded Gimps so have no idea.

If you are interested you could start it in a terminal in the same folder:
./GimpMathMapUbuntu20-04-x86_64.AppImage --verbose > start.txt

This usually shows a missing lib or something else.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:33 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

I get this...

/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/mathmap: error while loading shared libraries: libgtksourceview-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
gimp: LibGimpBase-WARNING: gimp: gimp_wire_read(): error

Tried to install "sudo apt install libgtksourceview-2.0.so.0". That's a no-go...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:09 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

Hi racer-x
I added the files can you download it again from here?

I installed the ubuntuhandbook Gimp 2.10.30 which I think you use and all works here.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:11 pm  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

OK now it complains: "/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/mathmap: error while loading shared libraries: libgslcblas.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:32 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

Hi racer I updated the appimage again hopefully for the last time. The other GC users must think I'm hogging the site :)

https://github.com/TasMania17/Gimp-Appi ... untu-20-04