It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 7:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Is this an April Fools joke?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:20 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Apparently it's not. From now on this image, often used on Gimp Chat is now unsuitable. Now Lena no longer wants the image to be used.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Is this an April Fools joke?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:57 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

“IEEE’s diversity statement and supporting policies such as the IEEE code of ethics speak to IEEE’s commitment to promoting an inclusive and equitable culture that welcomes all. In alignment with this culture and with respect to the wishes of the subject of the image, Lena Forsén, IEEE will no longer accept submitted papers which include the ‘Lena image’.”

Read this, it's wokeism. I would give a lecture on the problem but it falls in the category of politics.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:38 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

She used to be fine with her picture being used as a test subject, but no longer wishes for the picture to be used for image processing research since 2019. It's just acknowledged now, and her wish is to be granted. She's on the picture. So, no, it's not April's Fool.

contrast_ wrote:
Read this, it's wokeism.

And to this, we can stop taking you seriously.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:28 am  (#4) 
Script Coder

It's back to cat pictures then (and someone must tell Rich...).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:30 am  (#5) 
Script Coder

contrast_ wrote:
Read this, it's wokeism.

No, it's respect.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:52 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

ofnuts wrote:
It's back to cat pictures then (and someone must tell Rich...).

I can do cats, if that is your thing:

Attachment:
grumpy-cat.jpg
grumpy-cat.jpg [ 203.71 KiB | Viewed 697 times ]

You can still find the full Lena photo as originally published.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:08 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
I can do cats, if that is your thing:

I like birds more than cats so I used the Lena jpg in a deep dream prompt. Not exactly happy with the results but here is AI Lena :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:41 pm  (#8) 
Global Moderator

Ugh. Opinions are like __________. Everyone has one. Not sure how admiring a simple picture taken decades ago would ever be deemed disrespectful. Please refrain from stretching the lines in the sand to suit your own conscience.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:50 pm  (#9) 
Global Moderator

ofnuts wrote:
contrast_ wrote:
Read this, it's wokeism.

No, it's respect.

So, explain how it's disrespectful to admire a picture (don't rattle on about someone's wishes - they POSED for the picture and it was PUBLISHED).

Perhaps David should come from beyond the grave and demand his statue be removed from the Accademia Gallery in Florence. Absurdity.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:26 pm  (#10) 
Global Moderator

Found this today
Has both of her pictures (then and now) on it too but for safety sake I cropped them out

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:54 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for re-activating this thread. I did some 'image laundering' by feeding the AI image back into AI and producing a couple more. Here is one:

Now I need to submit it to the IEEE as a JPEG replacement image, have it rejected on engineering grounds and return to being bitter and twisted by the futility of life. :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:26 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Quite like this new image - think it's an improvement.

Could always opt for an old BBC test card...

... like this one (courtesy of Wikipedia).

Wiki Testcard

Won't say which testcard I go back to though!
:hehe

"Let no one steal your dreams."
Paul Cookson

Latest plug-in update: Paragrapher v.1.4
Custom Font Links
Tools
Character Paths
White Bases

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:33 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

mahvin wrote:
ofnuts wrote:
contrast_ wrote:
Read this, it's wokeism.

No, it's respect.

So, explain how it's disrespectful to admire a picture (don't rattle on about someone's wishes - they POSED for the picture and it was PUBLISHED).

Perhaps David should come from beyond the grave and demand his statue be removed from the Accademia Gallery in Florence. Absurdity.

It is her choice not to have her image used in this way. We don't have to know or understand her reasons, it is her face and her choice. It is disrespectful to ignore that choice!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:02 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

The decision to publish the photo was made 51 years ago.
Playboy dropped its unsuccessful copyright claim.
Now it's just a wish/request from Lena Söderberg that can be respected.

Slava
Ukraini!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:35 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

MareroQ wrote:

Yes, and out of respect, I will honor that request. I think this is a major reason for AI to exist. it creates royalty free images by default, unfortunately it will also put a lot of models out of work....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:49 am  (#16) 
Script Coder

racer-x wrote:
MareroQ wrote:

Yes, and out of respect, I will honor that request. I think this is a major reason for AI to exist. it creates royalty free images by default, unfortunately it will also put a lot of models out of work....

OTOH, AI images being computer generated aren't really representative of what comes out of a camera. In other words they are too clean.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:18 pm  (#17) 
Global Moderator

MareroQ wrote:

The key phrase here is "can be" respected.

I find this whole topic petty, in the sense there is no way it can be enforced by Lena. People are still going to encounter the image (which is just her face, not a nude) who have no idea about her "request". Throwing insults about, about being disrespectful, or being ignored if someone disagrees with you, are all classic symptoms of wokeism. Look the word up before you respond to this. It's perfectly ok if you want to honor her wishes. Yay, for you. Bravo! God loves social justice warriors, too. GimpChat isn't a place for people to force opinions on anyone else. Doing so, says more about your own humanity than it does the person you're judging. Please leave the insults off this forum.

MareroQ, this post isn't directed to your comment. I was just making a point. This is for everyone who thinks they sit on the throne of judgement.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:35 pm  (#18) 
Script Coder

mahvin wrote:
MareroQ wrote:

I find this whole topic petty, in the sense there is no way it can be enforced by Lena. People are still going to encounter the image (which is just her face, not a nude) who have no idea about her "request". Throwing insults about, about being disrespectful, or being ignored if someone disagrees with you, are all classic symptoms of wokeism. Look the word up before you respond to this. It's perfectly ok if you want to honor her wishes. Yay, for you. Bravo! God loves social justice warriors, too. GimpChat isn't a place for people to force opinions on anyone else. Doing so, says more about your own humanity than it does the person you're judging. Please leave the insults off this forum.

MareroQ, this post isn't directed to your comment. I was just making a point. This is for everyone who thinks they sit on the throne of judgement.

The only insult I see in this whole exchange is the use of "wokeism", which has become "a sarcastic pejorative among many on the political right" (according to Wikipedia)(and when you talk about "symptoms" you are making it look like a disease)....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:12 pm  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

mahvin wrote:
MareroQ wrote:

You think it is just our opinion that we are forcing on everybody else? You think it is wrong to expect people to respect the wishes of others? You are forcing your opinion on a woman that no longer wishes you to use her image, which by the way is morally her property if not legally! Maybe we can use your face without your permission for any purpose we choose? Your post says much about your humanity!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:36 pm  (#20) 
Global Moderator

ofnuts wrote:
mahvin wrote:
MareroQ wrote:

The only insult I see in this whole exchange is the use of "wokeism", which has become "a sarcastic pejorative among many on the political right" (according to Wikipedia)(and when you talk about "symptoms" you are making it look like a disease)....

It is a disease. It's also disrespectful to come on a GIMP forum and inflect your political bias on others. This is a forum for ART and GIMP related topics, not the soup of the day opinions from socially infected minds who fail to have an OPEN one (mind, that is).

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next