It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: GimpScripts is shutting down
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:09 pm  (#21) 
GimpChat Member

OK, I just downloaded the zips so, 514 files about 400 MB which is ok for me.

Does your download include the web page(s) and links to those files ? --reject="index.html* not looking promising. To be truthful, I can manage with the files separated. This on a external SSD.

Attachment:
webpage.jpg
webpage.jpg [ 91.65 KiB | Viewed 543 times ]

Thanks for looking at it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:22 pm  (#22) 
GimpChat Member

rich2005 wrote:
OK, I just downloaded the zips so, 514 files about 400 MB which is ok for me.

Does your download include the web page(s) and links to those files ?
Attachment:
webpage.jpg

No, I'll do it tomorrow (it's very late now for me here),
But once the website is downloaded, I'll put the directory I just downloaded inside and then it's very easy with a text editor (Atom or Pulsar) to change all the "hard link" at once from "href='https://mahvin.bplace.net/'" to relative links like to a directory like this way "../GimpScripts/". Those text editor will do it for the entire website in a matter of a second or 2 :bigthup

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:12 pm  (#23) 
GimpChat Member

rich2005 wrote:
--reject="index.html* not looking promising.

If not wget will create 3 or more html indexes, because this directory has no index

rich2005 wrote:
To be truthful, I can manage with the files separated. This on a external SSD.
Thanks for looking at it.

All done :bigthup , a complete local static website with downloadable relative (local) link, 460MB > 7zipped
I did try to put it on github, but it's complaining, too much files, or too big, pfff...

So here is a link > https://filetransfer.io/data-package/6OXIXo62#link on "file transfer"

There is a caveat, though, it keeps the file 21 days and limit to 50 downloads, if someone knows a better FREE (truly free) file transfer, thus not asking my email or pretend to send me a link just to catch my email, I'll take it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:59 am  (#24) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:26 pm  (#25) 
Global Moderator

What's interesting is that I offered this site to whoever wanted to take it on, but no one accepted because its not free. Free isn't a possibility in this day and age if you exceed bandwidth or space. Web domains aren't free, either. Everything costs money, to someone. Mareroq and GasMask both have access to the server. The cheapest webhost I could find was Bplaced. About 46 USD a year. Domain is 12 USD a year. The easiest way to continue is to create another blog on Blogger. I can easily create a copy of the site that can be transferred, but money is going to be involved to host the site if you keep the domain (I'll release the domain).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:34 pm  (#26) 
GimpChat Member

mahvin wrote:
but no one accepted because its not free.

I don't think it's about "money", what I think is that not a lot of people knows how to do a website, nor how to manage or maintain it, nor have time to spend on it, laziness is also a factor, etc...

Last edited by PixLab on Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:38 pm  (#27) 
Global Moderator

PixLab wrote:
mahvin wrote:
but no one accepted because its not free.

I don't think it's about "money", what I think is that not a lot of people knows how to do a website, nor how to manage it, nor have time to spend on it, laziness is also a factor, etc...

What I was reading is “if you can find me a free site/host/storage”. Up to a point you get free but anything that builds beyond of what the allowed threshold is, will cost money…

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:48 pm  (#28) 
GimpChat Member

mahvin wrote:
What I was reading is “if you can find me a free site/host/storage”. Up to a point you get free but anything that builds beyond of what the allowed threshold is, will cost money…

Where did you read this? I cannot find it in this thread. :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:28 am  (#29) 
Global Moderator

PixLab wrote:
mahvin wrote:

Where did you read this? I cannot find it in this thread. :oops:

You made my point with the "free" file transfer. And if it's NOT about money, then where's the problem? Why are you seeking only free file transfer?

I've offered to hand over the site, as is, to anyone willing to take over its responsibilities.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:39 pm  (#30) 
GimpChat Member

mahvin wrote:
You made my point with the "free" file transfer. And if it's NOT about money, then where's the problem? Why are you seeking only free file transfer?

I've offered to hand over the site, as is, to anyone willing to take over its responsibilities.

Comparing apples and oranges?
And if you read well, when I said "free" it's about all those pseudo "free" website which said they are free BUT ask your email to trade, and for me that's a lie, they are not free.
Now using a file transfer once a year or even less and caring about a website it's something quite different, like night and day, and I still think it's not about the money... But the will to do it

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:57 am  (#31) 
Global Moderator

PixLab wrote:
mahvin wrote:

Comparing apples and oranges?
And if you read well, when I said "free" it's about all those pseudo "free" website which said they are free BUT ask your email to trade, and for me that's a lie, they are not free.
Now using a file transfer once a year or even less and caring about a website it's something quite different, like night and day, and I still think it's not about the money... But the will to do it

"No good deed goes unpunished."

Quite the hero, are we? I'm not comparing anything to anything else. However, with the private conversations and some post comments in the past, the issues were about the money and web management skills. Blogger doesn't require the latter (The site resides on the Blogger platform and traffic is directed there through the domain). So, what's left? Oh, wait! Lazy people. Yet, here is an ENTIRE post dedicated to doing something to keep it going. I have offered the solution, but notice how NOT A SINGLE PERSON has stepped up and taken the easiest method. Hint: it requires money. I'd love to hear the excuses as to why.

Patrice, I know you're a good person and this isn't really about you. You can choose to make it about you, if you'd like. The real problem here is quite simple to resolve. Taking from the fact that only ONE person on GimpChat has thanked me (not that I asked for thanks, but you know, they did so and I noticed) I will leave here with the biggest disappointment of my entire GIMP life. Pretty sad. By the way, if you feel the need to have the last word (many of you do) I won't see it.

Best of luck to you all.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:35 am  (#32) 
GimpChat Member

This is The End.
Thanks to the owner of the website, persons publishing at gimpscripts.net and creating a website archive.

Attachments:
As of April 29, 2024.jpg
As of April 29, 2024.jpg [ 47.76 KiB | Viewed 169 times ]

Slava
Ukraini!