Ask all general Gimp related questions here
Post a reply

Missing Python and Mathmap under Gimp 2.8

Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:47 pm

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: Windows 7 64bit
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

I was running Gimp 2.6 and Gimp 2.8.10 both on the same computer. I had several python options under "Filters", like photo packages, etc. that were available under Gimp 2.6 but were never available under 2.8.10 and mathmap would only work under Gimp 2.6. I could never get it to work under 2.8.10. The Python-Fu option at the top of the screen worked on both Gimp 2.6 and 2.8.10 as did the scripts within the drop down. Installing 2.8.14 deleted 2.8.10 and 2.6 totally removing any option to use mathmap or the extra python options. Python-Fu shows up in 2.8.14, and the boxes come up with all of the options to run, but then crash if you try to run them. Any help with getting Mathmap and Python-Fu working on Gimp 2.8.14 would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Missing Python and Mathmap under Gimp 2.8

Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:01 pm

I can't help with mathmap, but you say you get the dialog box for Python script, but it errors?

Can you point us to an example of a failing Python Script

And does the Filters>Render>Clouds>Fog script run OK (It's Python and supplied with GIMP)

My reason for asking is that with GIMP 2.6.x you had to install Python separately and 2.8.x comes with Python BUT it's a cut down version and it's possible you have scripts that rely on features that aren't available in the supplied Python.

Kevin

Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:16 pm

Regarding MathMap, this is working here.

In my first GIMP installallation, I downloaded it from here:
https://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/schani/mathmap/

Now, I noticed that it is also available in the GIMP extensions, but will not be installed as default:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimpextensions/

HTH,
Dietmar

Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:43 pm

Did you remove 2.8.10 and/or 2.6 after you installed 2.8.14? If so a reinstall of 2.8.14 might help.

Try this test: Open the Python console type, print "PhotoMaster" and hit enter.
Code:
print "PhotoMaster"

The result should be this.
Code:
>>> print "PhotoMaster"
PhotoMaster
>>>

Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:53 pm

Filters>Render>Clouds>Fog Runs perfectly
Printing PhotoMaster in the Python console worked as well.

Python-Fu>Create Layers>Magicmesh2(WithMask)
Python-Fu>Create Layers>Magicmesh3(SVG)
Python-Fu>Create Layers>Magicmesh
I just noticed the error is that the script is expecting an integer and it is getting a float value.

Installing Gimp 2.8.14 is what deleted 2.8.10 and 2.6

The mathmap link above is where I had gotten mathmap,
I didn't have the Gimp Extensions so getting them is a plus. I still need to get mathmap working because I love mathmap.

Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:15 am

You made that harder than it needed to be - I had to search to find the Magicmesh Python script you are having problems with. I found it here: http://www.gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f ... =10#p16529

It's not working because GIMP's Python-Fu has been changed and now returns float values for PF_SPINNER where it was returning integers.

To make it work I forced all the parameters of the "for" into integers:
Code:
   for pos_x in range(int(sspace+layer.offsets[0]), int(max_x-max_radius), int(pat_width)):
      for pos_y in range(int(sspace+layer.offsets[0]), int(max_y-max_radius), int(pat_width)):

Kevin

Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:45 pm

is anyone running Gimp 2.8.14 with a working version of mathmap? If so how did you get it to work? I have also hear that Mathmap can be run as a stand alone. Has anyone been able to run it as a stand anlone?

Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:59 pm

I have Gimp-2.8.14 on Linux but I don't have Mathmap on this version of Linux. I never got around to getting it because I wasn't using it much when I did have it.

Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:39 pm

MapMap work fine in Gimp 2.8.14, Linux. I'm pretty sure I got it at GitHub, schani/mathmap.

Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:59 pm

When I start up Gimp in Windows, I see Mathmap.exe loading but it doesn't appear in any menu.

Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:06 pm

Did you check, Filters | Generic?

Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:22 pm

That's where it should be, but it's not there. I spent about an hour and a half going through every menu option several times thinking it had to be there and that I missed it.

Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:38 pm

Not in the plug-in browser either?
FYI my install is local in it's own folder.
Code:
odinbc/.gimp-2.8/mathmap
Only MathMap executable is in plug-ins.

Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:55 pm

I'm looking to find my old Gimp 2.6 installs so I can reinstall it and get mathmap back that way.

Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:58 pm

When I was still running Windows, I got all my mathmaps from PhotoComix website.
http://photocomix-resources.deviantart. ... -150221966

Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:34 pm

Mathmap doesn't show up in the plug in browser.

The version of Mathmap that I got is the latest, so I need to play with it. I did find an install for Gimp 2.6.0 so at least I can run Mathmap on that but that can be a pain. I would still like to get it working on 2.8 14.

Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:35 pm

I am sure some one will come along with a version that will work for you PhotoMaster.

Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:23 pm

PhotoMaster here are some files that work in my 2-8-14 installs, please delete all current mathmap files you have installed,
then follow the directions in the INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS.txt files precisely
These files are for any gimp installs
MathMap-Win32-Install
MathMap-Win64-Install

Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:27 pm

Thank You Graechan!! That worked!! Woo Hoo!!

Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:25 am

PhotoMaster I'm Glad I could assist
Post a reply