It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Python and linux
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:12 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I'm in the process of setting up Gimp in Mint and I'm faced with two questions (so far): Does python have to be installed for Linux? and is there a Linux equivalent of PSPI?

Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
No more open minds or dogs for me.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Python and linux
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:23 pm  (#2) 
Script Coder

Just try it. (If Python is working then you should have a "Filters->Render->Fog", amongst other things.)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:51 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

2) there is a PSPI for Linux ...NOTE that require wine installed
but if you have Wine suggest to use instead the RobA script discussed here
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=970

PSPI has limits , on linux much more limits

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:08 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

I suppose Mint is a decent distro.
This means that when you go to the install program and elect gimp to be installed it will automatically install python.
Gimp has more dependencies than just python.
Python is used by quite a few Linux programs so it probably is already installed.
Gerard.

I use Linux only.
And Virtualbox with Win 7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:29 pm  (#5) 
Global Moderator

I agree with PC on using RobA's shellout plug-in vs Linux's PSPI options. That is one versatile plug-in and it actually performs way better on Linux using XnView. RobA is a genius and should receive multiple awards for this contribution. :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:47 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Xnview is one of my favorite apps, I've been having some problems installing it in Mint because I'm not that great in installing things manually (not using the software manager) but I'll get it eventually.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:11 pm  (#7) 

how to install python fu (linux- ubuntu)
script fu into Gimp 2.6?

Thanks a lot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:36 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

@ Gms9810
Python is already there, Gimp plugins are 'something'.py and go in your local plugins folder, only thing to note is, make sure they are marked as 'executable'

also

I am surprised no one mentions gimp user filter. In my linux installations PSPI has become less functional over the years to the point of only working with one or two simple .8bf filters. Haven't even bothered with my present installation.

Details of user filter here
http://registry.gimp.org/node/5096

If you are using a 32 bit LM then there is a .deb that should install, available at source forge
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimpuse ... ter-0.9.7/

If 64 bit linux mint, then it has to be compiled but for once it is not a drama, one dependency required "flex" which is in the LM repo then the standard "./configure - make - sudo make install" works.

If you decide to try it, also get the windows version that photocomix provides. It has most of the free .8bf filters converted to .guf format included in the archive, about 1500 of them. see
http://photocomix-resources.deviantart. ... -101851042

Screen shot of what it looks like in a LM9 64 bit installation.
http://imgur.com/74c1s

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:59 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

@gsm

install xnview on linux is quite simple, here step by step

1 be sure to have Wine installed (if not use synaptic to install it)

2 download the win xnview installer (search for the full version )

3 now go to the xnview installer and just click on it as usually

4 nothing useful happened with 3? right click on the installer chose Propriety/permission and check the box
"allow to to run as program" and apply
check also always in the right click menu "open with" should be already be set to wine, if not
chose wine ,apply
now you may double click on the installer to run it

point 4 may look complex but need to be done only once
, then you may install any other ".exe" installer as in win just clicking on the installer

5) The xnview installer will give you a option to add a shortcut for in the desktop
If you accept may be needed again to right click on the shortcut (should be called xnview.ink , obviously is there on the desktop ) chose again Propriety/Permission/ and check the box " allow to run as a program"

as for 4 , 5 usually need to be done only once,...but in case you have problems installer ( and desktop shortcut) propriety/permission are the first thing to check

this for xnview as for any other windows app on linux (not all will work perfectly as xnview but you may always try)

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:37 pm  (#10) 

Hi,
Thank you for ur reply.
I know Python is already there. What I want to know is how to install script_fu using the Python console?
I have downloaded the plugin-in layerfx.py. But how to install it using the Python console?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:59 pm  (#11) 
Global Moderator

@francisgan9:

You don't need to use the Python console to install script-fu. Layerfx.py is a python plug-in and runs through the menus in GIMP via Layer - Layer effects, if it is downloaded to the correct folder. For Ubuntu that is /home/username/.gimp-2.6/plug-ins. Open your home folder and go to that folder, find the layerfx.py file and right click it and select properties, select the Permissions tab, then tick the "allow executing file as a program" button. Restart GIMP and it should be showing in the Layer menu under Layer Effects. Now it is installed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:40 pm  (#12) 

mahvin wrote:
@francisgan9:

You don't need to use the Python console to install script-fu. Layerfx.py is a python plug-in and runs through the menus in GIMP via Layer - Layer effects, if it is downloaded to the correct folder. For Ubuntu that is /home/username/.gimp-2.6/plug-ins. Open your home folder and go to that folder, find the layerfx.py file and right click it and select properties, select the Permissions tab, then tick the "allow executing file as a program" button. Restart GIMP and it should be showing in the Layer menu under Layer Effects. Now it is installed.

Hi, Thanks Mahvin.

But what about script-fu? how to get it installed in Ubuntu- Gimp?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:03 am  (#13) 
Script Coder

Script-fu is always installed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:08 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

There are some older scripts that create a Script-Fu menu, is that what you mean?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:04 am  (#15) 
Script Coder

Rod wrote:
There are some older scripts that create a Script-Fu menu, is that what you mean?
No, I mean that the support for Script-fu is always there, unlike python-fu that requires "external" software to be installed (if finding a Linux system without python is getting difficult these days, this support is less obvious on Windows)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:24 pm  (#16) 
Global Moderator

Quote:
But what about script-fu? how to get it installed in Ubuntu- Gimp?

I am going to go out on a limb here, and "guess" you mean the installation of scripts, which, like plug-ins, have a specific place to be downloaded to. In Linux, that would be:

/home/username/.gimp-2.6/scripts

The only files you'll need to place in that folder are files with the .scm extension (name-of-file.scm).

Now, ofnuts and Rod have already mentioned the location of scripts via the GIMP menu that can show up in a menu (this menu location is on the top menubar, not within the menus themselves. See screenshot:

What you see here are two places labeled "Script-Fu". The one in the Filters menu is for the Script-Fu console, no scripts are ever registered here. There is even a slight chance a coder will even register a "Script-Fu" menu in the Filters menu. But to avoid confusion, let's focus on the 2nd Script-Fu menu on the right. This is what Rod is referring to. It doesn't mean that all script-fu files will be found here. Script-fu files can be found in ALL the menus on the menu bar.

All you need to know is that ANY script (a file with a .scm extension) will need to be placed in

/home/username/.gimp-2.6/scripts

To know if the script is working or not, you need to know 2 things:

1. The script's function (most coders title their script based on its function - take multiscale.scm, for example, the coder added "Multiscale" into the register. Not all coders do this.)

The plug-in browser, found in the Help menu:

2. The procedure name (this is important, but not critical). The reason it is important to know is because not all scripts provide the function as it's title - meaning you can't rely on the name of the file to find ALL script locations in the plug-in browser, because as mentioned on point 1, not all coders include the function of the file name in the register.

You can open a script with a text editor, like gedit, and find the procedure and where it's registered, quite quickly. Below is a portion of multiscale.scm opened in gedit:

This seems like a massive amount of information to make a simple point, but the main thing you need to focus on is where you download the *.scm files to, and how to find them in the menus. Do not waste time thinking that all scripts end up under "Script-Fu" on the menu bar, because they don't.

Lastly, if you have GIMP open, and you add a new script to your scripts folder, the new script won't activate until you either 1) close GIMP and restart it, or 2) Go to Filters - Script-Fu - Refresh Scripts (the best option).

A quick rehash:

1. Download scripts with .scm extension to /home/username/.gimp-2.6/scripts
2. Filters - Script-Fu - Refresh Scripts to activate new script
3. Use Help - Plug-in Browser to locate the new script in the menus
4. The fun part - Testing out the new script in GIMP

Last edited by mahvin on Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:54 am  (#17) 

Hi Mahvin,
Thanks a lot.
Got it installed.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:10 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

I'm sorry it took so long for me to answer this, PC. I just got a chance to do it this afternoon. I had Wine installed but hadn't used it yet. I followed your instructions and it worked perfectly, thanks.