It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: I need help to install python
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:44 pm  (#21) 
Retired Staff

I ran her through the step-by-step procedure in Yahoo Instant Messenger, Lyle. She got to the point of browsing to the plugin and clicked the plugin and nothing happened.

Her plugin is in .gimp-2.6/plug-ins. She has neither of the Python Scripts folders that PhotoMaster put up.

I don't understand why the plugin shows in Filters > Map > Wrap bitmap (bucket) but doesn't execute when she clicks it. No dialog comes up. It's not grayed out, either.

Molly is using WinXP.

She's offline for the rest of the night but hopefully she'll have something that will fix it when she gets up tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:51 pm  (#22) 
GimpChat Member

I see where mine is different. By putting it in the .gimp-2.6 folder, it's only available to that login and I have not had much luck putting scripts in there. By putting it where I outlined (in the program files directories) it is available for all users and I find that they work better.

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomastergreg.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:20 pm  (#23) 
Retired Staff

Can she just put it in the plugins folder there? She said she didn't have a Python Scripts folder.

I feel like the blind leading the blind because I don't have Windows. Mine resides in home\<my name>\.gimp-2.6\plug-ins and works for me in Linux so I'm really not much help.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:14 pm  (#24) 
GimpChat Member

In Windows I have two different plugins folders:
C:\Documents and Settings\Greg\.gimp-2.6\plug-ins
and
C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.6\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins

The first one is only available when logged in as me, where the second one is for all users of Gimp.

If you go to the C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.6\lib\gimp\2.0 you should see a folder called \Python Scripts.

This is where I put the files. When I put them in under an individual users folders, I find the programs don't always like it. By putting them here, things seem to work smoother.

My Sigs = My Photos

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:10 pm  (#25) 
GimpChat Member

Oregonian wrote:
I ran her through the step-by-step procedure in Yahoo Instant Messenger, Lyle. She got to the point of browsing to the plugin and clicked the plugin and nothing happened.

Her plugin is in .gimp-2.6/plug-ins. She has neither of the Python Scripts folders that PhotoMaster put up.

I don't understand why the plugin shows in Filters > Map > Wrap bitmap (bucket) but doesn't execute when she clicks it. No dialog comes up. It's not grayed out, either.

Molly is using WinXP.

She's offline for the rest of the night but hopefully she'll have something that will fix it when she gets up tomorrow.

I just wanted to make sure she had 2 images as required by the plugin. Since she sees the plugin, Python is installed right I believe. Now if it complete just fails to launch, then the problem is beyond me. I know she originally copied a bunch of files into her GIMP plugin folder that should have. Maybe she should again try to re-install GIMP, but I don't want to mess her situation up even more. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:13 am  (#26) 
GimpChat Member

Molly right click on the file wrapmap.py and click properties.
At the bottom of that window is an unblock option, click it and then click ok.Restart Gimp.

I have to do this with some, not all of the Py script and SCM script i dl.
Your machine is probably needing the same thing, to set them as executable.
Then for now on when you dl a new script Py or SCM check to make sure it doesn't need to be set as unblocked.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:58 am  (#27) 
Global Moderator

Thanks Rod, but I already did that too. It is a mystery to say the least..

Greg, I don't have lib or 2.0 in with Gimp 2.6. I have Gimp 2.0 and it has lib in the path but it has no python either. My python is by itself way down the list near the bottom. It has no Gimp associated with it... I will have to do a scrn shot or something.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:52 pm  (#28) 
GimpChat Member

My laptop died and I am setting up the new machine running Windows 7. I installed Python 2.7, etc and am installing Gimp. I need to delete everything and install Python 2.6, as Gimp doesn't acknowledge Python 2.7!!! Ahhhhhh!!!!

My Sigs = My Photos

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:13 pm  (#29) 
GimpChat Member

You ran into the exact same thing I did PM. If you do exactly as outlined at link below (they have links to the relevent python stuff too), Python will install. Sad that you have to go to an old version of Python. Has to be 32-bit too (64-bit won't work for the GIMP interface; someone really needs to update this). :)

http://www.gimpusers.com/tutorials/inst ... -6-windows

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:00 pm  (#30) 
Global Moderator

I took out everything to do with python, I reinstalled python 2.7... I then downloaded and installed the corresponding plug-ins. pygtk 2.7 pycairo 2.7 and pygobject 2.7. I then installed them.
I then installed gimp 2.6.11 and the window where it shows the python extension won't let me put a check mark there. I tried all the different ones, full install, custom etc. It still won't let me make that checkmark. Anyway, I am right back where I was. All the plug-ins went into the python folder and I still don't know how to get them into the gimp 2.6 plug-in directory and which ones are supposed to go there.
It says in these directions you posted Lyle that Python plugins must be stored in the .gimp 2.6 directory of the users home folder.... How do I get them there and where do I find the ones they are referring to. I should give up on this cuz I have been trying for months....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:04 pm  (#31) 
GimpChat Member

molly wrote:
I took out everything to do with python, I reinstalled python 2.7...

Molly there the problem you need Python 2.6 not 2.7
and also the other programs seems too updated

Gimptrick has a pack on deviantart , could make things easier, with that library there everything works

with more updated Python and libraries may not work

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:22 pm  (#32) 
Global Moderator

I removed Python 2.7 and found your deviantart pack and folllowed your text that no one reads and installed 2.6 and the three plug-ins plus that other one, then installed GIMP 2.6.11. The tick mark was in there this time so it recognized python. Now when I open gimp I get the window above along with the Pycairo and pygobject asking me if I want to install them... They are already installed in the Python folder so I cancel them and Gimp opens. How do I get rid of those?
BTW, I am now able to use the fog script and wrap.map plugin. So if I can get rid of those messages when I startup GIMP I will be as happy as a pig in shoot.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:40 pm  (#33) 
GimpChat Member

Gimp looks for exe files and will try and install them if they are in the load path...

Sounds like you have the original downloaded exe setups in your gimp directory...find those setup files (probably the ones you downloaded), and place them somewhere else like a new folder in your C directory or on your desktop.
Make sure they are the setups not the actual installed programs. =)

That should solve your problem.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:21 am  (#34) 
Global Moderator

Okay, I had them in the Gimp 2.6 folder cuz that is what it said to do in one of the many how-to-install Python tutes I read...
I took them out and put them in a folder in the desktop and now Gimp opens without those messages.

THANKS VERY MUCHLY: ROD :clap

@ Photo Comix... thank you for the great tute you made on how-to...... woo hoo. finally I have Python that works. :coolthup

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:42 am  (#35) 
GimpChat Member

You are very muchly welcome Molly, glad to help. =)
I am also happy to welcome you to a whole other python world of filters and gadgets...lol

Have fun with them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:00 pm  (#36) 
GimpChat Member

Windows 7 sucks!!!! It's not compatable with my color calibrator and some of my other hardware! Ahhh!
Also in Gimp, under filters I have Python Fu>Console, but nothing happens when you click it and all of my python scripts, etc are simply not there!! Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh!

My Sigs = My Photos

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:22 pm  (#37) 
GimpChat Member

That's why i decided NOT to upgrade to 7.Nothing seems to be compatible with Gimps files at all.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:23 pm  (#38) 
GimpChat Member

Welcome back btw PM! =)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:24 pm  (#39) 
GimpChat Member

PhotoMaster wrote:
Windows 7 sucks!!!! It's not compatable with my color calibrator and some of my other hardware! Ahhh!
Also in Gimp, under filters I have Python Fu>Console, but nothing happens when you click it and all of my python scripts, etc are simply not there!! Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh!

Hope you used the old version of Python (and 32-bit) as outlined at the link on gimpusers.com that I mentioned earlier PM. It took nearly an hour of fanagling before I realized that you had to follow the procedure completely literally (I tried the most current version of Python and 64-bit first, then went to an older version of Python that was still 64-bit but that, of course, didn't work either. Finally when I followed to the letter the procedure outlined at the link, all was happy). I virtuallize everything but do run my graphic programs in Win7 64-bit. The only issue that I've consistently had is GIMP will sometimes take 100% resources and I have to use Task manager to end the session (loosing all my work in the process). Happens quite often and I still haven't figured out how to consistently replicate this issue, but I'm not the only one experiencing this. Also, do not, I repeat, do not install GIMP 2.6.11 unless you plan never to use PSPI. Also, I use the 32-bit version of GIMP since none of the cool GIMP filters (including PSPI) has been compiled for GIMP 64-bit. :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:38 pm  (#40) 
Global Moderator

PhotoMaster wrote:

PM, this is exactly the same as my problem. Python Fu Console showed in my Gimp, under filters but nothing happened when I tried any of the scripts etc....I finally downloaded 2.6 with PC's pack and it went in perfectly. BUT, according to everything I have read so far, there is no GMIC download for 64-bit, just 32......This is what is holding me back from upgrading to a new PC with windows 7 > 64-bit...
I think, since 64-bit is here to stay, and they should make a GMIC install pack for it.......