It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Plug-in crashes after OS upgrade: python version mismatch? maybe?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:54 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.10.30
Operating System: Linux
OS Version: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS
GIMP Experience: Experienced User

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
Ofnuts WrapMap 0.4

List any ERROR messages you received:
In GIMP Error Console:
Plug-in crashed: "ofn_wrap-map-0.4.py"
(~/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/ofn_wrap-map-0.4.py)

On command-line:
/usr/bin/env: ‘python’: No such file or directory

I'm in a(nother) pickle. I tried to do a 'distribution upgrade' from Ubuntu 20.04 to 22.04, which failed, and which ultimately required a hard re-install, which then meant that every package I use had to be re-installed.

Any customizations in /home/ (for example, ~/.gimp-2.10/) were preserved because I've always maintained that on a separate partition.

However, "something's different" about the new version, and it has something to do with 'python.'

I'm trying to recreate mahvin's picture-framing technique using ofnuts' WrapMap (python) plug-in, but getting an error in GIMP (which also warns that the crashing plug-in may have left GIMP unstable and recommending restarting it).

In GIMP, the error msg is:
Plug-in crashed: "ofn_wrap-map-0.4.py"
(~/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/ofn_wrap-map-0.4.py)

When GIMP is started from the command line, this error is visible on-exit:
/usr/bin/env: ‘python’: No such file or directory

Not coincidentally, I think, the first line of the plug-in reads:
#!/usr/bin/env python

This hints there may be a problem with python versions; in the new one, only 'python3' is available as a command, but the package manager indicates that 'python2' is available to be installed.

I try to follow the philosophy that no problem is so bad that it cannot be made worse, and so I ask:

Q. Does anyone recognize the problem and know a solution?

Thank you.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Plug-in crashes after OS upgrade: python version mismatch? maybe?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:36 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Not a python mis-match, Ubuntu 22.04 (and spin off's such as Mint 21) and Gimp 2.10.30 does not have a gimp-python package = no python Have a look in Filters menu, no Python-fu entry only script fu.

One solution is install the flatpak version.

A better solution is use Tasmanias excellent appimage to launch Gimp and add python 2.7 support.

Gimp-python appimage:

https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Pytho ... 3#pid29963#

https://github.com/TasMania17/Gimp-Appi ... -for-Linux

and a quick before / after example https://i.imgur.com/fWY3ezt.mp4

Post subject: Re: Plug-in crashes after OS upgrade: python version mismatch? maybe?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:00 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Rich,

I recognize immediately this would have taken me WEEKS--including naps to rest up to continue the quest--to figure out. ("Gee, Mom, all I _did_ was re-in-stall...! Aw, gee...")

Haven't done it yet, but I'll certainly try the 'appimage' route.

This time around, I have been more 'religious' about recording _every_ 'post-install' action I've taken in an aim to make this go a little more smoothly the next time. Yes.

On that score, I wonder--and may take steps to cause others to wonder--how many of my fellow GIMP users would consider themselves "well-prepared" to recover their systems to working order after an interruption. (I live out in the country and had two motherboards blow from "voltage incidents" before I wised up and installed a UPS--which then itself hiccuped one time and crashed the machine anyway. <shrug>

Re: your excellent Before/After shot, please tell, howdyoudothatwillis?

Thank you.
--
gramp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:37 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

I dunno i always either added or deleted this line from python scripts...
/usr/bin/env: ‘python

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:04 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

"Shirley," there's more to it than that? ;^)

I did follow through with Tas_mania's appimage route, but along the way I found out that the appimage does NOT contain GIMP (!!!) at all. Instead it sets up an environment/sandbox--and settling the python confusion in the process--before calling "whatever-version-of-GIMP" is installed.

And THAT particular part, I'm a little hazy on... I already have forgotten whether, understanding the above, I went on to install (in Ubuntu 22.04) the 'apt' version of GIMP, or (vaguely remembering that the mainline version wasn't new enough for the latest G'Mic) installed the offering from the Panda Jim PPA instead.

A mind is a terrible thing to lose.