Switch to full style
Ask all general Gimp related questions here
Post a reply

need help with transparency

Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:27 pm

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: New User

i am trying to learn how to make adjustments like xray or transparency but the objects i have tried to make more see through end up a gray or green color...any advice would help

Re: need help with transparency

Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:35 pm

Not really sure about what you are intentioned to do, but if it's something like this...
photography_by_shivamart1-dc95lw0_witrh-a-rose-on-top.jpg
photography_by_shivamart1-dc95lw0_witrh-a-rose-on-top.jpg (215.74 KiB) Viewed 2605 times

it could be obtained by:
- opening the BG image
- opening the image you want to override
- add transparency on the latter (layer>transparency>add alpha channel)
- remove unwanted part (in this case all around the rose) using the eraser tool and/or the select by color/hue and cut)
- move that rose on top of the BG (copy, and past as a layer)
- reducing opacity of the top layer
photography_by_shivamart1-dc95lw0_witrh-a-rose-on-top.jpg
photography_by_shivamart1-dc95lw0_witrh-a-rose-on-top.jpg (215.74 KiB) Viewed 2605 times

fiore-rosa-2-scaled.jpg
fiore-rosa-2-scaled.jpg (61.62 KiB) Viewed 2605 times

Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:46 pm

Gave it a try. X-Ray translucence is a very subjective thing. Regardless, I used G'MIC's Relief light preset to create a mask and applied it to the extracted rose. :)

Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:53 pm

Here's another try using G'MIC's Gradient Norm as a mask (added anisotrophic smoothing to the mask before applying mask to rose as well). Just sharing the translucent extracted result this time. :)

Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:20 am

actually i was attempting to use gimp on some pictures that are more of a private nature.....trying to have a little fun with the software

Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:02 pm

since this question is of a more private nature feel free to inbox me

Sun May 27, 2018 12:58 am

still looking for help on this subject....if you are comfortable working with photos that are more private in nature please let me know....private message is fine
Post a reply