Ask all general Gimp related questions here
Post a reply

Drop Shadow help

Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:33 pm

GIMP Version: 2.1
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: Windows 7 Professional
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

I am looking for help with drop shadows in Gimp 2.1. I have no problem adding drop shadows to text as I always have done but, when I try to add a drop shadow to a picture, it doesn't work. I have intermediate knowledge of Gimp and don't know the lingo so, most of the posts I read about it, goes over my head.

Thanks, any help would be appreciated!

Re: Drop Shadow help

Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:41 pm

Do you mean something like this?

pexels-photo-2567011.png
pexels-photo-2567011.png (48.75 KiB) Viewed 3568 times

Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:10 am

Yes. I used to be able to add the drop shadow the same as adding it to text, by making the picture the active layer and then going into filters -> light and shadow -> drop shadow and then manipulating the color, blur radius, etc. in the pop up box. I can no longer do it with pictures, only text. I am creating a brochure for the company I work for, and have come to a stand still with this element.

Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:22 am

peminca wrote:Yes. I used to be able to add the drop shadow the same as adding it to text, by making the picture the active layer and then going into filters -> light and shadow -> drop shadow and then manipulating the color, blur radius, etc. in the pop up box. I can no longer do it with pictures, only text. I am creating a brochure for the company I work for, and have come to a stand still with this element.

You need be sure the picture/image has space around it.
Like this.
Than try to run your Drop Shadow.

There are a number of ways to create a drop shadow.
Using the built in Drop Shadow filter is only one of the ways.

Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:51 am

I am not sure how to go about leaving space around a picture as you are showing me, since the picture is set in among text in a brochure setting and not by itself. (BTW, I have been copying and pasting the pics as new layers from Paint mostly.)

Sorry, I have been using the program for two years now but, really haven't explored past what the former marketer at the company showed me.

Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:15 pm

peminca wrote:I am not sure how to go about leaving space around a picture as you are showing me, since the picture is set in among text in a brochure setting and not by itself. Sorry, I have been using the program for two years now but, really haven't explored past what the former marketer at the company showed me.

You may need to cut the picture/image from where it is,
then past it onto it's own layer.

First you would want to create a new top layer.
Click on the top most layer,
within the Layers Dialog making it the active layer.

Go to Layer>New Layer.
Clicking on New Layer will add a new top layer to the Layers Dialog.

Go to the layer on which the picture is located.
Use the Rectangle Selection Tool to create a selection around the picture.
Make the best selection you can of your picture.

Cut the picture form it's current location,
Edit>Cut.

Go to the newly created layer and past it into this layer,
Edit>Past.

Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:25 pm

Is this an already existing brochure?
If you could post an example,
we might be able to give more accurate instructions.
Post a reply