Post a reply

font problem after windows update

Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:50 am

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: windows 10
GIMP Experience: New User

Dear community,

a few eeks ago I designed a logo for our sports club with Gimp, using a font called Candara (it comes with windows). Then last night, I wanted to make some changes in it and opened the Gimp file to change the wording. As soon as I clicked into the text that needs changing the font changed! Specifically, Candara Standard changes to Candara light as soon as I click on the text to change it. In the tool dialogue, both Candara Standard and Candara light are called "Candara", but both look exactly the same way (now).

The only thing that has changed since I made the logo is that Windows 10 was updated a couple of days ago. Could this be responsible for this? If I use the font in Open Office Writer, it works just fine, both Candara Standard and Candara light.

Any help or ideas on this would be very much appreciated, thank you!!!

PS: Using Candara Light and then putting it in bold doesn´t look the same, so that won´t work as a solution to this...

Re: font problem after windows update

Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:22 pm

In my Windows 10 I have: Candara, Candara Bold, Candara Italic, Candara Bold Italic.
All 4 work correctly in Gimp 2.10.12 and 2.8.22
No Candara Light.

I suspect that the Candara font that you originally used is no longer available and it is being substituted by another. Did Candara change between Windows versions? I don't know.

Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:32 pm

My machine recently updated to windows version 1903.
The Candara font family has six variants.
Candara.JPG
Candara.JPG (25.86 KiB) Viewed 2711 times

Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:35 pm

Have you tried putting these fonts,
into your Gimp User Fonts folder?

Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:04 am

I had a similar issue. In the end, I decided to take the old Candara fonts, rename them to Candara Old (using FontForge), and install those for all users. That seemed easier than trying to remember which fonts were where, or using a substitute font (Galdeano was closest).
Post a reply