Ask all general Gimp related questions here
Post a reply

[solved] xcf files

Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:29 am

GIMP Version: 2.10.13
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: New User

:wvy
My xcf files contain an average of twenty layers.
To see more clearly, in the name of a layer I indicate the filter used but at a moment this is not possible because the name would be too long. :gaah
If I name them by letters and numbers, then I will have to write everything in a text file?

what method do you use?Image

Re: xcf files

Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:40 am

I name each layer with the modification applied (the gimp function or the filter but not its parameters....).
I know, I can't reproduce it exactly after a while...

Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:15 am

In G'mic settings, I have naturally the output message "Verbose (layer name)" selected.
If I come up with something likable with any of the built-in effects that allow you to save presets,
I give it a short name and name the layer accordingly.
Old scripts in my inventory have been edited to custom settings and I rarely change them because they were modified for a specific task.

Anything more complicated, and other than just applying filters I suggest using notepad, .rtf .pdf or whatever you like to use.
Or you could use one extra layer for the steps?

Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:41 am

The problem with "Verbose (layer name)" as layer_0 in first post ....because the name would be too long. I think I would prefer keeping the gmic log and copying from that but it is a matter of choice.

There is another record, a bit like dinasset's filter name with no parameters. In the gimp profile there is a file 'action-history'. Snag? Gimp writes that when it is closed not while editing is in progress.

02-name.jpg
02-name.jpg (185.32 KiB) Viewed 5571 times

Nidhogg's keeping notes is going to be the best way. Get a decent text editor.

Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:48 pm

:wvy
Nidhogg, I use notepad ++ (I think it was rich2005 that advised me several months ago to edit a line in a script or plugin so that it appears in the Filters Menu)

rich2005,
To find the GMic filters used, I opened the gmic log but I do not see a date indication next to each line. Can I delete it before starting a project?

And the same for the Gimp filters with the "action-history" file: I see 102 lines ; how to know the lines referring to a specific xfc when there are several open in Gimp.But maybe I can delete this file "action-history" before opening an xcf (it is recreated?)?

Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:20 pm

I opened the gmic log but I do not see a date indication next to each line. Can I delete it before starting a project?

Yes, you can delete it. Another way might be rename the gmic log file with the name of the image

And the same for the Gimp filters with the "action-history" file:...snip...But maybe I can delete this file "action-history" before opening an xcf (it is recreated?)?

You can delete it. Remember the file is not saved until you exit Gimp. To be honest not a lot of help except for the order of the filters.

Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:23 pm

thanks rich2005Image

Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:24 pm

I deleted the "action-history" file and it was recreated, OK.And the same for the gmic_qt_log file.
So now I will keep some files with notepad ++ ;)

:tyspin dinasset, nidhogg and rich2005.
Post a reply