GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
None

List any ERROR messages you received:
Opening 'C:\Marketing\Renders\Interiors\SAI-Smith, Koblin FR.jpg' failed:

Unknown file type

I've been using GIMP for several years now and I recently installed the G'MIC plug-in (to version 2.10.10). It was working great for a few days but now suddenly I can't open any of my files (all JPG). At first none of my files were showing in the directory when I navigated to them so then I checked the 'Show All Files' box and there they were. When I clicked on any of the files, I got this message:
Opening 'C:\Marketing\Renders\Ray Trace\Interiors\Living Room-Modern 02 -RTa.jpg' failed:

Unknown file type

I tried uninstalling GIMP and all remnants that I could find on my system and then, after I had restarted my system, I re-installed from GIMP's site (version 2.10.18). Same problem again. I am running Win10 Pro and am using Windows Defender and do not currently have any plug in's installed with the new download.

Re: Can't open files 'Unknown file type'

Mon May 18, 2020 8:01 pm

Can you please have a look at this thread below,
that I linked to here on Gimp Chat,
to see if this might be of some help?

.jpg files not recognized [Solved]

Mon May 18, 2020 10:21 pm

If Wallace tip don't work, check this tips also: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Can-t ... mage-Files

Tue May 19, 2020 8:21 am

Thanks Pocholo, that did the trick. Problem solved!

Tue May 19, 2020 8:47 am

You're welcome, I'm glad that it worked out. By the way, Welcome to GC. This is the place for GIMP answers and much more! :paint

Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:53 pm

Hi, am having problems opening videos (specifically mp4). It used to let me, but now I get the unknown file type message. I tried the plugin fix but to no avail. What else can I do? tia

Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:04 am

erdas2003 wrote:Hi, am having problems opening videos (specifically mp4). It used to let me, but now I get the unknown file type message. I tried the plugin fix but to no avail. What else can I do? tia

Gimp doesn't support mp4's.

Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:19 am

It is probably video tutorials linked or embedded in the forum

@erdas2003, What operating system (Windows / linux / MacOS ) do you use ? What browser do you use ?

someone might have a solution.
Post a reply