Sat May 30, 2020 12:14 pm

GIMP Version: 2.10.18
Operating System: Linux
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
NA

List any ERROR messages you received:
NA

Hi, How do I place a glass surface over a plain colour background ? Something like what Aero did. When I tried with a plain background, the blur simply dissolves into it and show no effect of a glossy surface.

Please see bg + blur try which I did. It does not have any glass effect at all. Do we need to introduce turbulence into the blurred layer ? I don't know how to do it in a uniform way. I tried to do it using brush, which gave very poor results.

Re: Glass plate above an image

Sat May 30, 2020 3:03 pm

I'm not quite sure what you are looking for and I don't know Aero either, but I have been known to play around with glass effects :)

The image below uses a filter to produce various thicknesses of flat glass - the rectangle represents a thin glass layer and the circle a thicker glass layer on top. Let me know if this is what you are aiming for and I will post the filter.

Sat May 30, 2020 8:45 pm

Yes, yes. :)

I would like to imitate the thin layer as we see in the rectangle above. Thanks.

By Aero, I meant Aero in Windows 7. The transparency they used.

Sat May 30, 2020 9:14 pm

Adding a border method is very effective. I would like to add some blur to it as well. Not a 100 % see-through glass. I tried adding blur to the white layer. But it does not make any effect on the background image. But it works great with a plain colour background.

Any ideas on how to do some glossy glass than a perfectly transparent glass will be awesome. Thanks.

Glass GIMP.png
Glass GIMP.png (143.68 KiB) Viewed 4063 times

Sat May 30, 2020 9:39 pm

Meetdilip -OK; a copy of the script is attached below; it is an old one but it does work under 2.10 and it appears under Filters>Kward1979uk>glass.

Here is one of my threads dealing with glossy glass viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13158

Here is a tutorial of mine dealing with clear but contoured glass viewtopic.php?f=23&t=13491&hilit=brumby

Hopefully that will keep you busy for a while.

Sat May 30, 2020 10:07 pm

Thanks. I tried to figure out from those threads. Tried the first 5 pages on both threads, now I think I don't know much about GIMP. :(

Sat May 30, 2020 10:17 pm

Meetdilip - if you have any questions or problems ... simple, just ask :)

Sat May 30, 2020 11:55 pm

Thanks. Please see the wallpaper below. I am trying to replicate it

Sun May 31, 2020 1:50 am

Thank you for the script. It works in Gimp 2.8 but not in 2.10.18.

Sun May 31, 2020 2:02 am

jappaloe1963 - I am running 2.10.18 and the script works OK for me.

Sun May 31, 2020 5:10 am

meetdilip - I was intrigued by your post above (#8) so I had a very quick play at your target wallpaper; no glass, just FG/BG gradient, brushes and blurs.

Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:20 am

You are awesome. I missed this post since this was in page 2. :(

It will be great if you can give some description of how you did it.

Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:39 am

Your tips were great. I didn't think of a brush stroke with a large brush size in white colour. Once I painted a few soft areas, I applied blur to the white brush stroke layer. Then added a bit opacity to it. The plain gradient wallpaper was in the layer just below it. I used " Luminance " mode on the brush stroke layer which now has blur and opacity.

Luminance works much better than Overlay in this case. HSV value was also looking good.

glass blur brush Luminance.png
glass blur brush Luminance.png (746.14 KiB) Viewed 1699 times

Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:09 pm

meetdilip - that's good; I'm no expert in this area, but you can experiment more and use various brush sizes in blurred black or white to get more depth/contouring in your image or use slight variations of the main colours too. As for impact of different blend modes, looks like you are already there. Keep it up :)

Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:20 pm

Thanks. :)

I was trying to learn this since some time.
Post a reply