GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: 10
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
N/A

List any ERROR messages you received:
N/A

Hey, I'd like to make a few military ribbons. During my drunk time I managed to make one/two, though I'm failing at recreating it. I've attached a few examples. I've also read another thread about a similar topic but that's way too tech for me to understand.

Re: Military Ribbon

Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:12 pm

Any particular military ribbons in mind?

Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:35 pm

Nothing in particular, just struggling to find the whole process, how to get the filters right and whatnot. I don’t even remember how I did the ones I’ve attached lol. Thanks for quick response, by the way!!

Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:17 pm

There is a quick tutorial by our latest Oregonian here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2295&start=10

Post #16

Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:50 am

Thank you! Although I did try that and it’s really confusing as is. Like I’d be drawing with black and the whole thing appears as red, etc. Do you know what I did wrong?

Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:11 am

Ah alright, now that I have taken a short nap, I finally found out how to do it. Burner layer above the layer of the ribbon template. Thank you everyone!

Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:23 am

Okay, a new problem arose. When I try to use burn with black colour, it.. looks very off. I've attached what I get and what I'd like to get. Any ideas?

Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:03 am

OK H04X, this is what you have to do.
1. Once you create the colors of the ribbon, place the "Cotton faille" at the top
2. Change the Layer's Mode to> Linear Burn and you get the result you want
3. Go to: Colors/Brightness and Contrast and play around with it until you satisfy with the color

I'm an Army Infantry veteran myself and these are two of my medals I created with the little tut I wrote above

Ps I used Layerfx.py for the Faille texture.

Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:57 am

I grabbed Lyle's image at viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2295#p29883 and using top layers with various layer modes, was able to produce this:

Like Rich, I prefer simplicity and GIMP exploration. You can always scale the image to a smaller size, if necessary.

I've attached my xcf file for browsing.
militaryribbon.xcf
(439.46 KiB) Downloaded 116 times

Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:56 am

I love all of you. Thank you all for the help, I finally managed to get it all together. Here's something I threw together as a simple first attempt, but I just need to experiment some more. Thanks again! <3

Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:04 am

The service ribbon for a specific medal is usually identical to the suspension ribbon on the medal. ... However, a ribbon bar representing the Order of Victory was worn on a military field uniform.
Post a reply