Switch to full style
Ask all general Gimp related questions here
Post a reply

Trouble printing the correct size

Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:32 pm

GIMP Version: 2.10.20.1
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: New User

I'm having trouble getting GIMP to print out the same size it shows on the screen. I've got a simple US Letter size page setup at 300dpi and filled with White. I bring in a small jpg image on a new layer and scale it to 7 inches wide. The rulers on the screen show it as 7 inches wide. I print it on my Epson WF7720 with current drivers and the image is 6.5 inches wide. What am I overlooking?

Re: Trouble printing the correct size

Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:04 am

vanwilliam wrote:GIMP Version: 2.10.20.1
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: New User

I'm having trouble getting GIMP to print out the same size it shows on the screen. I've got a simple US Letter size page setup at 300dpi and filled with White. I bring in a small jpg image on a new layer and scale it to 7 inches wide. The rulers on the screen show it as 7 inches wide. I print it on my Epson WF7720 with current drivers and the image is 6.5 inches wide. What am I overlooking?

Seems like you did it correctly.
Some printers use a boarder outside of the image.
See if there is such a setting for making borderless prints.

Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:56 am

Thanks, It's nowhere near the margins

Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:36 am

Are you removing the margins that come pre-set within the printer's page settings?

Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:21 pm

I'm not certain what you mean. If I click page setup in Gimp, the margins are 0.25"all the way around.

Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:58 pm

vanwilliam wrote:I'm not certain what you mean. If I click page setup in Gimp, the margins are 0.25"all the way around.

My Epson printer has a "hidden" margin of .26 (by hidden, I mean that it's factored into the print to avoid printing on the edges of the paper. The only thing that I can do to resolve that margin is check the toggle "Ignore edge margins", in order to print a real size 8 x 10 image. Otherwise, my 8 x 10 is actually 7.5 by 9.75'ish.

So, when using GIMP, make sure your printer isn't preventing you from using the as much of the paper you wish to, that is, if it allows you to turn off the edge margins. Different printer brands have different settings or lack certain settings.

Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:20 pm

mahvin wrote:
vanwilliam wrote:I'm not certain what you mean. If I click page setup in Gimp, the margins are 0.25"all the way around.

My Epson printer has a "hidden" margin of .26 (by hidden, I mean that it's factored into the print to avoid printing on the edges of the paper. The only thing that I can do to resolve that margin is check the toggle "Ignore edge margins", in order to print a real size 8 x 10 image. Otherwise, my 8 x 10 is actually 7.5 by 9.75'ish.

So, when using GIMP, make sure your printer isn't preventing you from using the as much of the paper you wish to, that is, if it allows you to turn off the edge margins. Different printer brands have different settings or lack certain settings.

Thanks, I had to search for that option. On my Gimp print screen, the checkbox is almost off the bottom of the window and I can't scroll down to it. Fortunately, there was just enough that I could click it.
Post a reply