Switch to full style
Ask all general Gimp related questions here
Post a reply

Retouching an Old Photo

Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:37 pm

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

Hello guys, I'm new to this forum and relatively new to photo editing (~2 years of experience and a couple of classes under my belt).
I have been attempting to remove the graininess from this photo and colorize it and I understand how to colorize it but I can't seem to even begin the process of removing the grain without losing the realism of the photo.

Could anyone point me to a guide that will help my situation or give me a tip on how to proceed? Thank you so much!

Re: Retouching an Old Photo

Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:45 pm

You could try - filter, enhance > symmetric nearest neighbour
Or gaussian blur at a very small amount.
Denoise will usually remove any details if they are small so I would use that only on a very large photo.

Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:58 am

I made a QUICK TRY (about 3 to 5 min).
G'MIC has some useful filters on 'Repair'. Using layer Mask helps to choose the effects on the areas.
It didn't get bad.
01.png
01.png (633.25 KiB) Viewed 2222 times

But with patience and taking a few minutes to edit this image, possibly with a clone tool and / or healing tool and the result would be much better.

Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:59 am

My "one-penny" attempt (Gimp only).

tobecolorized-dn.JPG
tobecolorized-dn.JPG (81.86 KiB) Viewed 2197 times

Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:07 pm

The image appears to be scanned at a very low resolution. I'd at least try scanning at a much higher resolution to see if that removes most of the pixelization.

Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:12 pm

Online coloring.
04.png
04.png (239.9 KiB) Viewed 2181 times

Interesting this new filter to auto-color black and white photos on PS.
https://youtu.be/Zx2xxCcnZNk

Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:40 am

Years ago (2011) I had to retouche a few very old photographs. You can see the result here: http://dutchgimpers.nl/index.php/topic, ... l#msg10801. This is a photo of my great grandmother. There is a similar one on he same site of my great grandfather.

In the end I got some help of a russian guy. You will find a link to his blog: how to restore old photos. I have not tested the link, it is possible it doesnot exist anymore.

Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:12 pm

I agree with mahvin, If this was an image you scanned re-scan at a higher resolution and do not save in jpg format, save as a tiff or some other lossless format.
Post a reply