Ask all general Gimp related questions here
Post a reply

Help with image resizing

Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:45 am

GIMP Version: 2.10.22
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: New User

Hello,
I'm looking for some help with resizing an image for printing. I've tried various things with GIMP but not having success.
I have some old photos of my grandparents. The sizes are odd ball sizes and when I try to get them printed (say as 5 c7) they always come back with part of the picture (the sides) cut off. I want to resize the picture so that with it's proper aspect ratio, the length of the picture will fit in the 7" area. I don't care if the doesn't fit picture in the 5" area (e.g. if there is white space above the photo) as I can always trim that off.
Any detailed help of how to do this in GIMP would be appreciated.
Thanks. :)

Re: Help with image resizing

Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:50 am

Have a look at this:
https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Image-size-in-Gimp

Re: Help with image resizing

Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:52 am

drafterman wrote:GIMP Version: 2.10.22
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: New User

Hello,
I'm looking for some help with resizing an image for printing. I've tried various things with GIMP but not having success.
I have some old photos of my grandparents. The sizes are odd ball sizes and when I try to get them printed (say as 5 c7) they always come back with part of the picture (the sides) cut off. I want to resize the picture so that with it's proper aspect ratio, the length of the picture will fit in the 7" area. I don't care if the doesn't fit picture in the 5" area (e.g. if there is white space above the photo) as I can always trim that off.
Any detailed help of how to do this in GIMP would be appreciated.
Thanks. :)

See "Image>Canvas size". Enlarge the width of the canvas so that width/height is the aspect ratio of your paper. Depress the "Center" button to center you image in the new canvas.
Post a reply