Switch to full style
Ask all general Gimp related questions here
Post a reply

GIMP will not successfully export as pdf or png - ideas?

Wed May 12, 2021 4:38 pm

GIMP Version: 2.10.24-1
Operating System: Linux
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

I use GIMP to import pages of a pdf file, I edit it then export it as a pdf and as a png.
I look at the exported pdf and it is 0 bytes. I try to open it and cannot.

When I try to export as a png file, GIMP issues an error message.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Re: GIMP will not successfully export as pdf or png - ideas?

Wed May 12, 2021 6:24 pm

Something wrong with your Gimp as installed. How do you have it installed? That might get you more help. You could also try the Gimp AppImage as it's self contained: https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-appimage/releases

Wed May 12, 2021 8:40 pm

GIMP issues an error message

which is?

Thu May 13, 2021 4:28 am

...- ideas?

Apart from that error message, Which linux distro and where did you get Gimp 2.10.24 from?

Is 2.10.24 the default version in your linux repo ? or
From a PPA like ppa:ubuntuhandbook1 or ppa:savoury1 ?

or more likely to cause open/export problems the sandboxed versions from flatpak or snap.

Is the problem confined to just PDF and PNG ? What about other image formats ?

As racer-x posted, you can always try the portable appimage version as a check. The problem might be the folder(s) you are using for the export.

Thu May 13, 2021 8:59 pm

racer-x wrote:Something wrong with your Gimp as installed. How do you have it installed? That might get you more help. You could also try the Gimp AppImage as it's self contained:

I installed it from the repo. I have never tried an appimage on this linux - I will look into that. I reinstalled it and had the same problem with the new one. When I later on tried it again to write down the error message.. it shocked me and then worked as expected. I have no idea as I do the same thing whether it works or not. A ghost?

Thu May 13, 2021 9:10 pm

Tas_mania wrote:
GIMP issues an error message

which is?

Which is I can't remember and late when I tried again to replicate it and copy down the error message, it actually worked! Because I lost all day getting things done with it, I have been using GIMP all day today. Have no idea what was wrong and what fixed it. I do recall that everything was very slow. You pick export and it took a while for the next dialog window to pop up. I think the message was from GIMP and said something like it could not make a png file. For the pdf it looked like it was making a pdf file. Maybe the second dialog box did not appear. You see a pdf file by that name but with 0 bytes size and the file will not open.

Thu May 13, 2021 9:23 pm

rich2005 wrote:
...- ideas?

Apart from that error message, Which linux distro and where did you get Gimp 2.10.24 from?

Is 2.10.24 the default version in your linux repo ? or
From a PPA like ppa:ubuntuhandbook1 or ppa:savoury1 ?

or more likely to cause open/export problems the sandboxed versions from flatpak or snap.

Is the problem confined to just PDF and PNG ? What about other image formats ?

As racer-x posted, you can always try the portable appimage version as a check. The problem might be the folder(s) you are using for the export.

It is KaOS and that version was just in the repo. I could open and import parts of the original pdf file I was interested in alright, it was just exporting my changes to a file is when I had the problems.

I wondered if some other software changed some file it needs to export, but later I tried it again and then it worked - AFTER I reinstalled it and had the same problem again. So today it worked like a champ and I got work done with it. :tyspin

I didn't try other image formats. I was exasperated with it at that point because I could not get it to work when I needed it. Reboot and reinstall did not fix it.
.. That's why it seems it may be a ghost. A GIMP ghost.

It would be nice to know what it was so I could fix it on the fly and not have to stop working for a day.

Thanks.
Post a reply