Ask all general Gimp related questions here
Post a reply

Stretching text without blurr

Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:40 pm

GIMP Version: 2.10.28
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: 10
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

Any suggestions as to the best way to make letters skinnier/narrower (without reducing height), and without causing the edges to be blurred?
I tried creating the text then using the scale tool, but that results in soft edges.

I am thinking I can convert text to path, then scale the path, then fill the path.

But I am asking to see if anyone has any ideas as to an easier way to stretch text vertically....

Thanks,
Caleb

Re: Stretching text without blurr

Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:10 pm

No. GIMP raster graphics editor program, not a vector program. You need to use a vector program like Inkscape. It's free and good. :)

Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:59 pm

Ofnut's Bend Path plugin can stretch text out vertically.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-p ... s/scripts/

Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:16 pm

caleb1 wrote:GIMP Version: 2.10.28
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: 10
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

Any suggestions as to the best way to make letters skinnier/narrower (without reducing height), and without causing the edges to be blurred?
I tried creating the text then using the scale tool, but that results in soft edges.

I am thinking I can convert text to path, then scale the path, then fill the path.

But I am asking to see if anyone has any ideas as to an easier way to stretch text vertically....

Thanks,
Caleb

Indeed if you want to transform text without blurring it, the best method by far is to convert it to a path, transform the path, then fill/stroke the resulting path.

In some simple cases, you can make the text thicker/thinner by take the text path, and stroking it with a line a few pixels wider on a layer above. Putting the layer in "Normal" mode makes the text thicker, and putting it in "Erase" mode makes the text thinner.

Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:52 pm

Paths are your friend. I used ofnuts bend path plugin to achieve this on two different sized texts.

stretch.gif
stretch.gif (59.53 KiB) Viewed 764 times
Post a reply