Switch to full style
Ask all general Gimp related questions here
Post a reply

Distorting Layers to Create Map "Gores"

Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:02 pm

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

I'm trying to distort a map and create gores kind of like in this video here.
What I have so far is to take the map and create guides by percentage and then "slice using guides". This gives me the pieces I then want to distort. What I have tried so far is...
1. Using a curve bend distort which creates a nice curve outwards but what I really want is to pinch the top and bottom in.
2. Using the perspective tool which can pull things in nicely but only does so with straight lines and distorts the image by pulling the image either up or down.

I haven't been able to figure this out so hopefully someone here will have an idea.

Re: Distorting Layers to Create Map "Gores"

Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:54 pm

The easy way. Earth Map Gore:

Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:01 am

There is a web site about gore creation here: http://www.vendian.org/mncharity/dir3/planet_globes/

There might be something in there for Windows users For linux users there is a non-gimp perl script, although you make your original .ppm image with Gimp.

I have in the past hand-made gores using the gmic plugin. Very tedious but possible.

globe.jpg
globe.jpg (121.29 KiB) Viewed 716 times

FWIW, digging into my (old) projects folder, these are the resources I use, attached in the zip.
A svg template, import into the paths dialogue and scale it to fit the image.
A saved gmic Interactive Warp. This comes as a user 'fave gmic_qt_faves.json' Put it into your gmic user profile. (backup the old faves if required)

This is a hint, not a tutorial, apply gmic to each panel, use the path to select (invert selection) and cut the surplus background. https://i.imgur.com/M0OVMcw.mp4

Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:55 am

Thank you rich2005 that is very helpful!
Post a reply