Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:54 pm

GIMP Version: 2.6.11
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
GIMP Experience: Basic Level
URL or Image link: http://www.gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2322

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
Resynthesizer

Is there a tutorial for how to use the Resynthesizer plugin to make crop circles, like the images lylejk showed in this thread?
I'm trying to superimpose the Ubuntu logo crop-circle style on the famed "Bliss" wallpaper for XP à la this image. :pengy But I want it to look a bit more natural.

Just as a refresher, the "Bliss" picture (here) is the standard desktop image that first appears (appeared?) on a fresh install of Windows XP. Wikipedia has an article about it.

Re: Crop Circles Tutorial?

Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:57 pm

Including the target that I used and also note the adjustment that I made with the Ubuntu logo in the XCF file. This adjustment (minus the blur; figure you can guess what the logo would be like without the blur; lol) was what I also used before running Resynthesizer. What you need to create a grassy version is to find a crop circle match for the grass. I never could by the way and gave up back then. lol

:)

result.jpg
result.jpg (255.37 KiB) Viewed 11800 times

Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:14 pm

Cool idea...! Here's something I started with...I probably would have spent more time on the shadow, but I figured I'd be here all night if I let myself.

Check the XCF to see the layers.

Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:10 am

Pretty cool, Alex. I tried to make my own seamless wheat picture and never did get it how I wanted. I like Lyle's result, too. Although I'd prefer the flattened wheat to follow one direction.

Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:21 am

Yeah; wish I knew a way to coax Resynthesizer to create swirled flattened hay, but I gave up on that dream long ago Mahvin. :)

edit:

Just realize that you are actually wanting to understand how to use Resynthesizer to create crop circles. What you do is open the grass target that I attached, and also your image that you want coverted to a crop circle. Make sure your image is flattened (since the target that I attached is flattened (in this case with black background since that will have the non-flattened grass); Resynthesizer wants both source and target to be the same w.r.t. this and also colors (i.e, greyscale or color). Anyway, see the picture below for what you are looking for. :)

Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:17 pm

Hey Mahvin; tried a blend of whirl/pinch blended in. What do you think? :)

Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:27 pm

lylejk wrote:Hey Mahvin; tried a blend of whirl/pinch blended in. What do you think? :)

Now you're talkin' Lyle! I used a radial blur, threshold, and applied a layer mode to the resulting layer. Maybe a whirl/pinch was a better thought.

Seriously, a little tweaking and I think you've got a very awesome effect here.

Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:51 pm

Awesome! Lyle, you are the best! You just keep on being that lazy filter guy. Keep presentin' for us GIMPers.

Lyle, can I get a copy of your seamless wheat image/pattern? Thanks!

Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:35 pm

It's not seamless Mahvin; that's the beauty of Resynthesizer. Had already included a lower rez XCF file (which is what I actually use; the higher rez original is not as useful), but I'll attach my original highest rez here. I usually resize it down to 200px width. :)

Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:41 pm

Need to share with you another trick. Once you create your white circle on black background, dup, lower opacity to 50% and then set to darken (top layer) then manually shift if down at 315° (well, I usally eyeball it) and shift to taste. Flatten and blur (default 5 px) since you don't want too sharp of edge transition, and use this as your target. I did the same for my Diablo version by the way. This gives you the inner edge when using the wheat target. :)

Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:22 pm

Thanks, Lyle!

Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:24 pm

Thanks so much, will try it out soon as I get a chance! :)

Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:50 am

thanx very much for this "script" :-D. Now I will try to look for grass texture which match the flattened one

Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:39 am

I posted the layered XCF here hanciong; you use this as target/mask combo). :)

Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:49 am

lylejk wrote:I posted the layered XCF here hanciong; you use this as target/mask combo). :)

oohh thank yoouu
Post a reply