Switch to full style
Ask all general Gimp related questions here
Post a reply

How do i get text along a circle-shaped path exactly where i want it ?

Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:13 pm

GIMP Version: 2.6.11
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: Win7
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

I know how you basically use the text along path function.
But im trying to get text along a circle shaped path, so that the text is exactly in the middle of a ring, and for some reason im unable to do that.
Why is that ?

Here is my picture and i want my text to be in the middle of the blue ring.

ring.png
ring.png (25.55 KiB) Viewed 12330 times

So i would suggest, you need a path somewhere in the blue ring, so the text can sort of "stand" on that circle, like this:

Path.png
Path.png (41.62 KiB) Viewed 12330 times

Well that doesnt work at all, because when i click Text to path, i get this:

Eh.png
Eh.png (43.02 KiB) Viewed 12330 times

What am i doing wrong ?

EDIT: okay, in the meanwhile i found out two things:
1) the box around the text has to fit as tightly as possible
2) the path goes through the middle of the text.

I still find it very difficult to place the text exactly where i want it..... :hoh

Re: How do i get text along a circle-shaped path exactly where i want

Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:27 pm

It appears that the path goes through the middle of the text box, as indicated by the horizontal green lines in the following screenshots (the grayed out "2.6" in the second shot is where that text is located even though it is not visible within the text box).

SStext-to-path.png
SStext-to-path.png (33.69 KiB) Viewed 12296 times

Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:15 am

have you tried going to File/Create/logos/text circle

Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:27 am

- "text-along-path" the reference line in text to path goes through the middle of the text box
-"text-along-path" lays out the text from the starting point of the path, which is not that obvious when the path is "closed" (on a circle it isn't too much of a problem, you can rotate the obtained path around the circle center)

My "text-along-path" script may give you more control:

Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:41 am

1. Ellipse select with expand from center and fixed checked.

2. In paths window selection to path (it's the only icon active)

3. Type text and click on text along path

4. In paths window - path to selection. On a new layer bucket fill the selection.

5. Rotate the layer.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:55 am

saulgoode wrote:It appears that the path goes through the middle of the text box
yes, thanks saulgoode, thats what i found out too

akky wrote:have you tried going to File/Create/logos/text circle

ah ! thats a good suggestion and its works perfect. Thank you !!!!

ofnuts wrote:My "text-along-path" script may give you more control:

for some stubborn reason i never want to install another script for a specific task. i think i need to stop thinking that way. Thanks for the help, i will check that script tonight.

@Erisian
thanks for the mini-tutorial
i think i did it that way, but i just couldnt understand why the text was so ubelievably far away from where i wanted it to be
the reason was the box around the text

hmmm, i will try again tonight

Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:02 am

Erisian wrote:1. Ellipse select with expand from center and fixed checked.
2. In paths window selection to path (it's the only icon active)
3. Type text and click on text along path
4. In paths window - path to selection. On a new layer bucket fill the selection.
5. Rotate the layer.

You get a sharper result if you rotate the path first (rotate tool in "path" mode) before getting a selection on it.

Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:30 pm

I have solved (for myself by trial and error) text placement (alignment) on a circle path. It seems that if the text box space is expanded below the text this makes the text stick on the path at the top (outside) of the circle path.

If more space is added below the text in the text box it sticks above the outside of the circle path.

Equal space above and below the text in the text box places the text along the middle of the path.

I can also place the text on the inside of the circle by adjusting the text box lower control up and into the text (covering the lower part of the text.

Depending how far the text box covers the text the text is placed inside the circle touching the path or offset inwards from the inside path line.

It will be interesting to learn if there are already alignment / spacing functions (commands / tools etc) to do this but his has worked for me (as a new Gimp user) and hope it may help others....Gimp 2.10.30

Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:02 pm

Like ofnuts stated, make it easier by using his plugins "ofn-text-along-path". He have a bunch of essential plugins using Paths. Download it here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-p ... s/scripts/

Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:51 am

Thanks Pochoto. I will give ofnts "ofn-text-along-path" script a try and check out his other scripts.
Post a reply