Switch to full style
Ask all general Gimp related questions here
Post a reply

Paths Don't Appear When Importing SVG Files (FIXED)

Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:44 pm

GIMP Version: 2.8.4
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: 7
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

Hi everyone!

I've been using Inkscape to draw SVG files and was hoping to import them as paths into GiMP. But whenever I open a .svg file and choose "Import Paths" it imports a bunch of paths, but most of them don't actually show anything, so if I try to stroke them, the image is incomplete. I'm at a bit of a loss on what to do! Thanks!

Re: Paths Don't Appear When Importing SVG Files

Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:49 pm

Some paths can be very tiny... stroke them with a large brush to spot them...

Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:57 pm

I'm afraid that's not the issue, there are entire sections of the SVG drawing that are missing, seemingly at random, even with all paths visible and stroked.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:03 pm

BDDragon wrote:GIMP Version: 2.8.4
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: 7
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

Hi everyone!

I've been using Inkscape to draw SVG files and was hoping to import them as paths into GiMP. But whenever I open a .svg file and choose "Import Paths" it imports a bunch of paths, but most of them don't actually show anything, so if I try to stroke them, the image is incomplete. I'm at a bit of a loss on what to do! Thanks!
In the path dialog see if you can toggle (the eye) the visual. If you can't see them that way there may be an issue with the SVG.
Windows | Dockable Dialogs | Paths

[Edit]
I just noticed that you already did that. Between Inkscape and Gimp how many paths are missing? Have you tried resaving from Inkscape?

Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:12 pm

...this is strange. I have GiMP installed on my Mac laptop, and when I imported the SVG using that, all the parts appeared just fine. Could my PC version of GiMP be out of date or something?

Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:46 pm

At least you know the SVG is good.
Try opening your SVG without paths, then use the Paths dialog to import the paths.
FYI, If you open the SVG with paths and then use the Paths dialog to import missing paths any duplicate paths ID will be appended.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:04 pm

I think GiMP is importing the paths: For example, when I import paths on the Mac version, I get the same amount as when I import on the PC. But on the PC I end up with a bunch of blank paths

Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:27 pm

Can you attach the SVG or give a URL to it?

Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:31 pm

Here's the file

http://www.mediafire.com/download/r5gfl ... Vector.svg

Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:56 pm

i had trouble in the past with importing paths as well, but this time it worked

all the paths you shared appear in my Gimp paths-tab
but, you need to have the right canvas size

before i increased the canvas size, some paths seemed to be blank or outside the canvas boundaries
i used a canvas size of 800x1200

Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:04 pm

I'm really starting to think that it's a problem with this computer's GiMP then...

Is what I get after importing the paths into an 800x1200 canvas, and turning all of the paths visible.

Note the stars, his collar, and a bit of his smile are missing, along with part of his billy club and details on his medals

EDIT: Turns out I was using a pretty old version, I updated to the latest version, and now it's working fine! Thanks guys!

Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:08 am

BDDragon wrote:EDIT: Turns out I was using a pretty old version, I updated to the latest version, and now it's working fine! Thanks guys!

Hmmm. You stated you were using 2.8.4, and it works for me on 2.8.2....

Re: Paths Don't Appear When Importing SVG Files (FIXED)

Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:15 am

Hi,
to avoid missing display of svg the canvas size and resolution in ppi must be the same as the one you used while creating the svg. Otherwise the path will not show up or at least appear at a different position than in the original.
Take care
Post a reply