Switch to full style
Ask all general Gimp related questions here
Post a reply

Re: Bottle cap images

Sun May 08, 2011 12:04 pm

I'm printing them out at CVS, I don't even have a printer, well I do but we've been out of ink for quite some time so I just go to CVS..

Mon May 09, 2011 2:42 am

So the 1.403 in. didnt work, they were to big.. So 1 in it is! I'm making some right now & PRAYING, it'll work once I actually paste it to the bottle cap.. I'm waiting for the 1 in. circle punch.

Mon May 09, 2011 5:31 am

maryavon09,

I began viewing a three part tutorial on youtube about making bottle cap images using Photoshop Elements. Here is the link to part one if you are interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2O_kr4UAZU

Although she is using a different image editor program, her tutorial was done well enough that I was able to get a basic understanding of what she does. If the caps you make turn out fine, then feel free to disregard all of this.

First, she starts off with a 4"x6" image at 300 pixels per inch. Gimp's default is to set images at 72 pixels per inch. So, when you make a new image file, you will have to expand the Advanced Options in the New File Dialog window and set the Resolution to 300x300 pixels per inch.

She then copies/pastes an image into the 4"x6" image as a new layer.

She uses the Ellipse Select tool set to a size of 1.030 inches X 1.030 inches for her circle size. You indicated that you would use a value of 1 inch, and that ought to work since 1.030 inches is only very very slightly larger than 1 inch.

Anyhow, on a 4"x6" image, she gets 5 rows of three round images.

I don't know your familiarity with Gimp, but if you watch the video linked above and the other two parts of it, and you are reasonably familiar with Gimp, translating her instructions for use in Gimp is fairly easy. If you are a novice, then it could end up being confusing.

In any event, just adding the basic information that I was able to glean from the video tutorials in case it might help some. Looks like kind of a fun little project.

:)

Thu May 12, 2011 8:43 pm

So I made bottle cap Images, Printed them out, they worked but the quality was horrible!
I didn't make the resolution 300 x 300 though, so is that why they came out so crappy? I totally forgot that step.

Mon May 16, 2011 6:44 am

Hidy, I make bottlecap images..give me a shout if you decide to buy instead of make...I'm on Etsy :) and very very reasonable.

Micki

LilBee's Images

Fri May 20, 2011 9:40 pm

I bought the templates and tutorial from MunchkinBaby designs on etsy, it's really easy to follow! But now I want to figure out how to crop an image out of the rest of a picture, and layer! Let me see if I can figure out how to put some examples on here...Image

Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:30 pm

A very expensive bottle cap. lol

I know; old thread. Remembered it, but just dawned on me that Droste can be used to create the crown edging effect. :)

Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:13 pm

OK; a cheap version too. lol

Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:05 am

Droste works pretty quick and effectively. Good suggestion, Lyle!

Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:17 am

Now that looks definitely cool Mahvin. Like finding lazy ways to do complicated things. lol

Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:35 pm

I never thought of Droste as an option, it's a lot quicker than using the shapes script.

Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:04 am

Ive read all the replies, but I have a few questions if anyone could help me out.

I have a template for GIMP that I have bought. I know how to resize, copy & paste, push the image behind the template to see the circle and not extra image. This works great for any white back ground.
But I want to make the bottle caps that have cool polka dot borders, or a cool shape in the middle with the image inside that shape, and then other colors around that.
I also cannot figure out for he life of me how to write on bottle caps. Not just for ABC's, but just sayings.

Can anyone help me before i go crazyy :)

Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:38 am

Try writing your text above your template using white, then, on your template run bumpmap filter (invert setting) then go from there w.r.t. the blending. :)

Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:52 am

in general, it's all about layers. Once you learn the ins and outs of layers, you can do soooo much!

Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:03 pm

Here is my template i use.(made in Inkscape)

This person is trying to make circle images for the bottle caps (print them out), not the bottlecap shape. :)

Feel free to download and use my template however you wish folks. :bigthup

Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:57 pm

I enjoyed the Inkscape tutorial that Rod posted here, so I wanted to see how well I could duplicate it using just GIMP. I have to admit I was somewhat impressed with the Shapes Path tools and only 6 layers (would only be 4 layers if I hadn't added my own little spin to it). I also used dd's bevel script for the top cap circle.

Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:20 pm

Now that looks pretty nifty.Gives the impression a bottle opener was used on it.
Kudos Mahvin!

Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:46 pm

Yeah, I am still trying to add the crease and have it look like a crease (bent area). Trying with difference mode.

Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:47 pm

I think the first one was actually closer. :)
Though usually if you pop a bottle with an opener the cap gets one distorted or twisted up area.
Sort of like a bent in from underneath dent on the flanges in a small area.

Well maybe we are dealing with twist offs? :P

Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:53 pm

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. I'm just not good at replicating those kind of effects, but it's fun trying.
Post a reply