Switch to full style
Ask all general Gimp related questions here
Post a reply

Re: Bottle cap images

Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:35 pm

I never thought of Droste as an option, it's a lot quicker than using the shapes script.

Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:04 am

Ive read all the replies, but I have a few questions if anyone could help me out.

I have a template for GIMP that I have bought. I know how to resize, copy & paste, push the image behind the template to see the circle and not extra image. This works great for any white back ground.
But I want to make the bottle caps that have cool polka dot borders, or a cool shape in the middle with the image inside that shape, and then other colors around that.
I also cannot figure out for he life of me how to write on bottle caps. Not just for ABC's, but just sayings.

Can anyone help me before i go crazyy :)

Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:38 am

Try writing your text above your template using white, then, on your template run bumpmap filter (invert setting) then go from there w.r.t. the blending. :)

Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:52 am

in general, it's all about layers. Once you learn the ins and outs of layers, you can do soooo much!

Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:03 pm

Here is my template i use.(made in Inkscape)

This person is trying to make circle images for the bottle caps (print them out), not the bottlecap shape. :)

Feel free to download and use my template however you wish folks. :bigthup

Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:57 pm

I enjoyed the Inkscape tutorial that Rod posted here, so I wanted to see how well I could duplicate it using just GIMP. I have to admit I was somewhat impressed with the Shapes Path tools and only 6 layers (would only be 4 layers if I hadn't added my own little spin to it). I also used dd's bevel script for the top cap circle.

Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:20 pm

Now that looks pretty nifty.Gives the impression a bottle opener was used on it.
Kudos Mahvin!

Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:46 pm

Yeah, I am still trying to add the crease and have it look like a crease (bent area). Trying with difference mode.

Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:47 pm

I think the first one was actually closer. :)
Though usually if you pop a bottle with an opener the cap gets one distorted or twisted up area.
Sort of like a bent in from underneath dent on the flanges in a small area.

Well maybe we are dealing with twist offs? :P

Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:53 pm

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. I'm just not good at replicating those kind of effects, but it's fun trying.

Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:13 am

I created another larger bottlecap template.
The gradient at the bottom (color), is a little off, but it will still work. :)
Bottlecap_Large.png
Bottlecap template created in Inkscape.
1455x1455 300 dpi.
Bottlecap_Large.png (343.63 KiB) Viewed 2205 times

SVG
Bottlecap.zip
Bottlecap SVG file.
(24.11 KiB) Downloaded 179 times

Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:25 am

Finally got around to finishing my GIMP version bottlecap:

Not bad for an Inkscape imitation!

Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:33 pm

That's pretty darn good if you ask me. :)

Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:48 pm

Now I got the whole she-bang, beer bottle, label, and bottlecap, hahaha... awesome.

Bottlecap, at a larger size:

Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:08 pm

:yes :jumpclap :clap
Post a reply