It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Problem installing SinedotsII in Gimp on my Win 8.1 machine
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:24 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: 8.1
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
SinedotsII

I have copied the file SinedotsII.8bf to my folder "C:/Username/.gimp-2.8/plug-ins" but when I open Gimp I cannot find that in the Filter tabs.

Is there a special procedure to load and use plug-ins in Gimp that are other than I have described? Does SinedotII have a different procedure than other Gimp plug-ins that I should examine?

I am anxious to use SinedotII on my Windows 8.1 machine.

Thanks - Phil

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Problem installing SinedotsII in Gimp on my Win 8.1 machine
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:35 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

8bf is a Photo Shop plug-in

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:12 pm  (#3) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
I'm using windows 7 with Gimp 2.8.10 and I have a folder in my Gimp User folders location that is named Photoshop plug-ins. I placed the entire SinedotsII_PS folder, (once extracted) into this Photoshop plug-ins folder.
The screenshot below will show you where it shows up in my Gimp.

\Image

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:24 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks to both Wallace and Molly for your help.

Unfortunately, I have still not been successful.

Photoshop CS5 responded with a "not right kind of document" message when I tried to install the plugin in PS and I created a GIMP folder called "Photoshop plug-ins" under my C:/Username/.gimp-2.8/ folder and dropped in both "SinedotsII.8bf" and "PSP_PluggersPresets.cfg" (which were the non-text files in my downloaded "SinedotsII_PS.zip" folder from GIMP) but that did not generate SinedotsII under either PS CS5 or Gimp filters.

Also, I got the following error message from Gimp when I tried the plug-ins install.

"Opening 'C:\Users\philk77vt\.gimp-2.8\plug-ins' failed" The front end of this path is my username in my Win 8.1 configuration.

Not sure where to go from here.

- Phil

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:31 pm  (#5) 
Script Coder

To begin with, do you have the PSPI plugin installed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:39 pm  (#6) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
Graechan wrote:
To begin with, do you have the PSPI plugin installed

As Graechan has suggested you need to have the PSPI plugin installed, in order for you to be able to use Photoshop plugins with Gimp. My build of Gimp 2.8.10 comes with the PSPI plugin, yours may not.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:27 pm  (#7) 
Script Coder

We need to also know more about your Gimp 2.8.10, is it 32bit or 64bit and where did you download it from

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:55 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

You can find PSPI plug-in here.
http://tml.pp.fi/gimp/pspi.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:10 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

I downloaded PSPI.EXE and put it in my GIMP plug-ins folder, but got the following error message when I attempted to open it: "pspi.exe - System Error - The program can't start because libglib-2.0-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

I downloaded the Gimp system from the primary online server. I did not use the torrent server option. The server indicated that the installer had onboard both 32 and 64 bit options and would install the correct version. My specific version is Gimp 2.8.14.

I can't tell if it installed 32 bit or 64 bit--but I think 32 bit because the part of the installation on my C: drive is under "Program Files" not "Program Files (x86)" where my 64 bit apps are installed. But "Program Files" includes a "GIMP 2" folder with a "32" folder that has "libglib-2.0-0.dll" under its "bin" folder (thus troubling me that I get an error message about a "missing" libglib-2.0-0.dll" file when, in fact, it is within the GIMP 2 folder under "Program Files.")

I'm assuming the "32" folder under "Program Files" means that the Gimp installer installed the 32-bit version. My long-held assumption is that the "Program Files (x86)" is the home of 32-bit apps; therefore, I'm hugely confused about what is happening here.....

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Gimp prior to putting this problem up on the Gimpchat site. Perhaps I now need to do another uninstall and reinstall? If so, what is the appropriate server for me to use as the source of the download--if that is one source of my problem??

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:41 pm  (#10) 
Script Coder

Your Gimp is 64bit but can run 32bit plugins because of the 32 folder, it looks as if you have the Official version.
also you do not need to re-install your Gimp, instead search your entire Program Files/Gimp 2 folder with windows search engine to make sure you don't have too many copies of libglib-2.0-0.dll there is one in bin folder and one in the 32/bin folder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:55 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Graechan wrote:
Your Gimp is 64bit but can run 32bit plugins because of the 32 folder, it looks as if you have the Official version.
also you do not need to re-install your Gimp, instead search your entire Program Files/Gimp 2 folder with windows search engine to make sure you don't have too many copies of libglib-2.0-0.dll there is one in bin folder and one in the 32/bin folder

That sounds, as if he should delete one of them.
That would be very fatal.
The one in the bin folder is the 64bit version, the one in the 32/bin folder is the 32bit version.
Both are needed. Guess why :mrgreen:

What he should do is search the system path for other libglib-2.0-0.dll files.
But it is very hard to explain in english how to do that for people, who have no clue of the OS basics, if you are
german :hehe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:03 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Let me review the bidding based on the suggestions I have gotten on this thread from several very experienced members (whose efforts I much appreciate).

When I downloaded and expanded the file SinedotsII_PS.zip the resulting files were: PSP_PluggersPresets.cfg, SinedotsII.8bf and two "readme" text files.

The folders in Username/.gimp-2.8 are all "empty" except for: /Photoshop plug-ins/ (which I created) into which I copied both PSP_PluggersPresets.cfg and SinedotsII.8bf. That did not produce access to the plug-in in Gimp.

I also copied SinedotsII.8bf into the Adobe 64 bit folder in Program Files for Adobe Photoshop CS5 Plugins/Filters but it did not show up in the CS5 filters drop down menu. I later copied it into CS5 Plug-ins/Automate and that didn't work either.

I searched my Program Files/Gimp 2 folder and discovered libglib-2.0-0.dll in two locations: /32/bin at 1,444 kb and /bin at 1,181 kb. Should I have two of these files in these two locations--with different file sizes? Should I delete one of them (if so, which one?) and then re-start Gimp?

I was unsuccessful in installing pspi.exe in the Username/.gimp-2.8/plug-ins/ folder. My initial effort produced the error message that libglib-2.0-0.dll was missing from the computer. When I copied libglib-2.0-0.dll to that folder, I got the error message that "The application was unable to start correctly (0x000007b)."

Any further suggestions? I would really like to be able to use the plug-in SinedotII with my Gimp application. I was extremely impressed with the display of Sinedots possibilities for abstract design in the thread I read on Gimp Chat written by "rich2005" in the subject "SineDots revisited" posted on 16 July 2013. But if I am struggling to install a simple plug-in into Gimp (I've never had a problem installing plug-ins into Photoshop---is the Sinedots plug-in meant to be installed in Photoshop or did I misunderstand what I was being told about it being a "Photoshop plug-in"?), perhaps I'm out of my depth trying to become competent with Gimp......

- Phil

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:25 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

I had problems with the 64-bit PSPI that I found somewhere (but not sure where), so I went back to the older 32-bit PSPI (1.0.5) which works great (so you can run a 32-bit plugin in 64-bit GIMP). I actually placed PSPI in my users plugins directory (no need to put it in the GIMP program files directory) but I do put all my PS plugins in it's own folder and setup PSPI to point to that folder. Then, sindots will be located in the Dragonfly subdirectory by default. :)

Attachments:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 422.42 KiB | Viewed 1309 times ]

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:39 pm  (#14) 
Script Coder

The Windows error message 0x000007b is usually caused by incorrect DLL files present, often in shared directories.

I've just had the same problem whilst up-grading to G'MIC 1.6.0.3 - although I am using the latest official "stable" releases of both GIMP and G'MIC and I always install from the proper sources, somehow the DLL files had got messed up and, after much frustration, I ended-up deleting all the DLL files in both the system-wide GIMP plugins directory (C>:Program Files>GIMP 2>lib>gimp>2.0>plug-ins) and the user plugins directory (C:>Users>{user}>.gimp-2.8>plug-ins), then reloading both GIMP and G'MIC from scratch. Problem solved!

This is such a common problem I think the best thing to do is to back-up your DLL files in the relevant directories before starting a plug-in installation, then if you do have problems you can at least easily revert to your previous configuration.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:08 am  (#15) 
Script Coder

Onkel Hatti wrote:
Graechan wrote:

That sounds, as if he should delete one of them.
That would be very fatal.
The one in the bin folder is the 64bit version, the one in the 32/bin folder is the 32bit version.
Both are needed. Guess why :mrgreen:

What he should do is search the system path for other libglib-2.0-0.dll files.
But it is very hard to explain in english how to do that for people, who have no clue of the OS basics, if you are
german :hehe

What I was meaning to Imply is that you should only have the 2 libglib-2.0-0.dll files I listed but no more
(e.g none in your plugins folders)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:54 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

I want to thank all of you who have been kind enough in the past several days to comment and make suggestions about how I might address my problem.

I have not yet been successful in implementing the use of SinedotsII within GIMP. However, I am learning with growing satisfaction to use GIMP with its onboard sets of toolbox options, brushes and filters.

Furthermore, I've installed SinedotII as a 32-bit plug-in on my Photoshop CS5 running in 32-bit mode. I'm very pleased with what I'm able to do with it thus far and look forward to developing more skill over time in exploiting its considerable potential.

Best regards - Phil -- Reston, Virginia