It is currently Fri Jul 26, 2024 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Making Renders
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:18 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.6.11
Operating System: Windows Vista Premium
OS Version: XP - SP3
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

Hello guys hope your having a wonderful September. Just have another question that may seem very easy but somewhat hard at the same time. I am big into making sports logos with renders of players,texts,filters, script-fu's etc.

What I am trying to figure out is the best way to render out something from a photo.
For Example:

It seems easy but the paths tool, magic wand tool, eraser method, magic scissors, and the free form select tool are just not cutting it for me. If you were going to do it for a show and wanted it to turn out the most igh quality, what other method would you use. If you dont know a different method, what is the best method in your opinion.

Thanks for your time. :tyspin :gimp

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Making Renders
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:16 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Use the scissor select tool, OR the free select tool,make your selection carefully and slowly, and feather the selection by 3-5.That will help it to blend in with it's surroundings naturally.Zoom in and do a real nice job of the selection.I can not stress that enough.

Take your time.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:28 am  (#3) 
Script Coder

Well I'll start by saying there are people here who are much better at this than me, but for a discussion over on the Meet The Gimp Forum: http://forum.meetthegimp.org/index.php/ ... 316.0.html I used the path tool to isolate the winged young lady from her background. I found it a useful method because you can easily refine the path, and save it for later use.

I'm not going to demonstrate using your image however because it's too small, and more importantly it would be in violation of the copyright: http://brad.photoshelter.com/image/I00009KfMtczSV0Q

Kevin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:20 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Yeah, I tried a few different methods and I think your best bet is definitely going to be the paths tool. Take your time, zoom in, and start those curves!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:22 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Another cool trick is to make your selection, feather it, invert and color it all solid black.Then use screen as your layer mode for it. It must be placed over another layer for screen mode to work. :)

This shows two of the same image, one is flipped horizontally to show the effect.
The top layer is set to screen.All black on the top layer is now transparent.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:02 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

The paths tool is the best. Rendering is slow and tedious, and the faster you go, the worse the quality of the cut.

Grab the paths tool and warm up your mouse-clicking finger.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:37 am  (#7) 
Global Moderator

I tried the scissors, path tool, then went to quick mask. feathered it 5 and it worked best for me. Here is my try.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:54 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

thanks, i was just wondering if there was any other way then the usual paths tool or free select, i guess i should take more time.. thanks guys :) i will be posting another question about watermarks...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:00 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Founder

scgimp wrote:
thanks, i was just wondering if there was any other way then the usual paths tool or free select..

Read though this thread. You might find that using the foreground selection tool included with this version of GIMP is a useful technique.