It is currently Fri Jul 26, 2024 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: layer cannot be selected by its boarders easily?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:19 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.4
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: Windows Vista 32bits
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

I basically can't come up with a built-in way of selecting a layer's boundaries.

How do I create a selection from the position and size of a layer?
Pressing «ctrl»+«a» will select the whole image size, not the layer size.

If we head over the snaping menu, there is no layer boundaries only image boundaries option.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: layer cannot be selected by its boarders easily?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:01 pm  (#2) 
Retired Staff

I'm not entirely clear about what you want. Here is an image of a layer with a smaller boundary than the image. The only part of that layer I can select is that area within the layer boundary, either by Alpha to Selection or using the Fuzzy Select tool. :fuzzsel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:10 pm  (#3) 
Script Coder

I wrote the following script about 7 years ago to do this. It adds a command to the Select menu ("Select->Within Layer"). If there is no selection when you run the script, it will select the entire layer. If there is a selection present when you run the script, it will reduce the selection to only the portion of it that intersects with the layer.

http://chiselapp.com/user/saulgoode/rep ... ad9fd70b8d

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:21 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Saulgoode, I will try it out.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:01 am  (#5) 
Script Coder

gasto wrote:
GIMP Version: 2.8.4
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: Windows Vista 32bits
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

I basically can't come up with a built-in way of selecting a layer's boundaries.

If we head over the snaping menu, there is no layer boundaries only image boundaries option.

Foreword: like many IT persons, my assumed motto is "Tell me what you need and I'll show you how you can do without it".

So, in the case at hand I don't see why you would want that (if it's not what you get by "Alpha to selection"). For most purposes (except the use of the Align tool), a layer the size of the canvas and a layer restricted to the bounding rectangle of its non-transparent parts are equivalent... so using the layer boundaries for a selection gives these boundaries an importance they rarely have. So what are you trying to achieve?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:27 am  (#6) 
Script Coder

The utility of selecting the boundaries of a layer appears when you switch to a different layer afterward. For example, if you want to crop that other layer to the same size. A couple of other scenarios are shown in the following graphics.

Attachment:
File comment: Background for a text layer
layer-bound2.png
layer-bound2.png [ 31.23 KiB | Viewed 2969 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Border a layer
layer-bound.png
layer-bound.png [ 75.95 KiB | Viewed 2969 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:14 am  (#7) 
Global Moderator

nice explanation and visuals Saul. thanks, I have had that script for a long time but didn't know what to do with it. :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:41 am  (#8) 
Script Coder

saulgoode wrote:
The utility of selecting the boundaries of a layer appears when you switch to a different layer afterward. For example, if you want to crop that other layer to the same size. A couple of other scenarios are shown in the following graphics.

Attachment:
layer-bound2.png

Attachment:
layer-bound.png

Devil's advocate:

1) duplicate the text layer and bucket-fill. But in the general case, the original layer, which is just the text bounding box according to font metrics, is not the best reference for a frame/background (isn't it a bit a tight fit on the sides?).

2) IMHO a rather artificial case... if Wilber is nicely framed in the layer, then the layer has been cropped around it, and this could have been used to also produce the frame.

Now, what is gasto's original problem? :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:18 pm  (#9) 
Global Moderator

gasto wrote:

Am I missing something?
Simply selecting or cycling layers in the Layers dialog selects its x, y boundaries ( select all not required, select none is ).

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:14 pm  (#10) 
Script Coder

On the side of the angels(?!):
ofnuts wrote:
1) duplicate the text layer and bucket-fill.

What if, instead of bucket-filling with a solid color, you wish to highlight the text in another manner? By applying a filter or rendering to the background layer, for example.
ofnuts wrote:
But in the general case, the original layer, which is just the text bounding box according to font metrics, is not the best reference for a frame/background (isn't it a bit a tight fit on the sides?).

It is a repeatable reference based upon the graphical data, and thus amenable to my non-artistic sensibilities. Also, the original layer can be duplicated, auto-cropped, the bounds selected, and the duplicate deleted. This leaves a selection that bounds just the text (works for non-text too), awaiting further processing (growing, rounding, distorting, etc). And while this may seem like a tedious way to obtain such a selection, each of the steps can be assigned to dynamic keyboard shortcuts and the process executed by pressing in sequence the keys (1, 2, 3, 4, as an example).

ofnuts wrote:
2) IMHO a rather artificial case... if Wilber is nicely framed in the layer, then the layer has been cropped around it, and this could have been used to also produce the frame.

Such is not the case if the layer happens to have been imported from a file or otherwise generated as its own entity.