It is currently Fri Jul 26, 2024 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bump Map Issues/Inconsistencies...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:47 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Mac OS
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

Ok folks here we go.

I'm not sure whats going here, but it seems like Gimp is either very buggy (could be my operating system as OS X Mavericks has been a complete booger when it comes to a number of apps.) or the version I am using is questionable.

Before I go any further I am running a clean install of Gimp 2.8.10 I downloaded here:
http://gimp.lisanet.de/Website/Download.html

I've tried a few other versions , but none of them seem to work for me as they all crash far too often.

Granted, my system isn't exactly 'blazing' (2.26 ghz intel duo core) nor do I have alot of ram (2gb ram ) still it would seem like I should be able to get things done. (and I do for the most part...)

So
Issue number #1
Every now and then i'll see some weird looking computer 'artifact junk' in the preview window when I go to use both the displacement & bump map functions. I'll have to take a screenshot the next time I see it.

Issue #2
Inconsistency with mapping . Sometimes it seems to work perfect, at other times doesn't work at all. It doesn't make sense either as I follow the same steps as usual.
a) Layer image to size
b) Select the given map previously created that worked like a charm thus far for the given image.

Issue #3
bump mapping recently showed the preview of the mapped results , but did not actually create any effect. Even went back and followed my steps twice, same result.. nothing.

Question:
Can certain images 'throw off' mapping some how? (I have no clue, just taking a wild guess...)

Also, why do maps show up sometimes and others they do not?
I have noticed this several times since learning how to use the mapping function.

THANKS!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati