It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Issues with Brush Quality
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:35 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.4
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

Hello all,

I am having an issue with the brushes I've made not being of high quality when stamping them on the canvas...they appear pixilated and fuzzy.

Here is what I do to create them - I draw the vector shapes or designs in Inkscape. I then export them as a bitmap at 300 dpi. Most of my objects or designs that I use for brushes are roughly 1" - 2" in size as that is the size I need them to be for my custom pattern designs.

Next I bring them into Gimp and they look clean at 100% view. I then convert to grayscale and save as a .gbr brush.

But when I go to use them on a new document (which I always make 300 dpi), they often times will "stamp" fuzzy in their native size. And they always will get fuzzier if I size them up at all....even a small amount. I realize it is a raster file to begin with and sizing them up will compromise quality, but this does not seem to happen with any of the Gimp brushes that came with the software - I can size them up fairly large without any compromise to the quality.

To give you a visual for an example, here is an image of the difference between a basic solid circle that I created in Inkscape at 300 dpi and made into a Gimp brush to the solid circle that came with Gimp. NOTE: By "original size" I mean the native brush size.

What could I be doing wrong here? Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Mel

Attachments:
Gimp Brush Issue2.jpg
Gimp Brush Issue2.jpg [ 42.72 KiB | Viewed 1818 times ]
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Issues with Brush Quality
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:45 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

These tutorials by Oregonian might help.
How to Make a Grayscale Brush
Make an Animated Grayscale Brush

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:50 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for your reply Odinbc. Looks like I am following the steps on how to make a brush correctly, so it does not appear to be the issue, but I appreciate the help.

Anyone else have any clues or tips for this? I make a lot of brushes to make random pattern designs and so maybe most here don't use brushes for that purpose as much, but I appreciate any other ideas or advice if anyone has anything else to add. :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:07 am  (#4) 
Script Coder

It's nor clear above what is the "native" size you used above, the 50x50 brush is only half that size?

The Circle brushes in Gimp are "parametric", they are not made from a bit map which is scaled, they are much closer in principle to vector shapes that are scaled before being rendered at the required size.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:49 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Hi ofnuts, the native size of the circle brush I made in Inkscape was 50 x 50 pixels. Thanks for explaining that the Gimp brush is a parametric brush vs. a raster to begin with...I figured it wasn't made in the same way as I did mine.

I am resolving the "fuzzy" issue by making bigger brushes, which is helping.

Thanks for the replies. :)