It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Scale doesnt seem to work
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:51 pm  (#21) 
Global Moderator

Press Q on your keyboard.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:53 pm  (#22) 
GimpChat Member

rich2005 wrote:
Back in post no.4 OP is using the Unified Transform tool. That came in with Gimp 2.10 so not Gimp 2.8

Worth using this tool, all transforms can be made without intermediate interpolation for hopefully best quality.

This a 2 minute video of the basics. https://youtu.be/4L7uSWPNSDQ

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

Yes but i do not want to drag to resize it, i want it to be exactly the size i want it to be, not close to which is dragging it to transform. I want to input the digits for it to resize to. Its interesting when i used that tool, it crashed just almost instantly lol. Perhaps over time i would understand the dimensions that are changing in the transform tool and be able to put the correct numbers in, but really? just to resize a simple image should require such dramatics. I think the transform is for more advanced applications. just my 2 cents. =)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:55 pm  (#23) 
GimpChat Member

mahvin wrote:
Press Q on your keyboard.

lol i pressed q and nothing happened, hahahahahahahahaha so i have a special copy of gimp right? or im the special copy? lol, omg....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:56 pm  (#24) 
GimpChat Member

I havent changed anything , like set key shortcuts, i have left all that alone.. till i know gimp better..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:59 pm  (#25) 
GimpChat Member

Now they are there!!!! i dont know.. perhaps i need a new computer, i built this in 2010 and only replace the gpu every couple of years! thank you, thank you! writing this down so i never have to ask again.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:01 pm  (#26) 
GimpChat Member

Help, now the alignment tool replaced the move tool in the window, how do i get the move tool back? what is with this interface, why cant i just see all the tools? like i did before?

Nevermind, i just had to click on the almost invisible corner arrow and choose move. Is there a way to show all the tools like before? in an undocked window?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:08 pm  (#27) 
GimpChat Member

yeah i give up i dont have the patience for gimp. I moved the image a bit to the side and tried all the alignment tools, not one did anything. I mean yeah

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:32 pm  (#28) 
Global Moderator

The cool thing is that GIMP shows you the shortcuts for each tool when you hover your mouse cursor over each tool. Move tool is M

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:49 pm  (#29) 
GimpChat Member

mahvin wrote:
The cool thing is that GIMP shows you the shortcuts for each tool when you hover your mouse cursor over each tool. Move tool is M

Thank you i did catch that, lol. but instead of just poking the tool which is fast, now i need to mouse over it and read, actually read what the tiny font says, lol. i know i know i can hear you! what was wrong with the way it was? we are the users. First law of computing. if the users cant use the interface whats the point?

ok not a law, but think about the flying wing, if the users couldnt understand the interface where would they be today? kiss. anyway, none of those alignment tools worked, not one moved the image so yeah and yet in the ms photopaint or watever it is, its so simple, same exact tools yet they work, and are easy to find. Why not in gimp?

Gimp seems to be getting wordy, so to speak. ok done and thank you very much i really do appreciate your help. i wish gimp worked, but it does not and the tutorials are for older gimp. so now i cant find a way to make those alignment tools work on the image, or the selection or whatever it wants to make them work. ITS A BIG SECRET.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:36 pm  (#30) 
Global Moderator

iti:

Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful. In order for the alignment tool to actually work you have to “select” the layer/image/path you are wanting to align, and it will add “bounding boxes” allowing you to use the alignment tools.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:00 pm  (#31) 
GimpChat Member

mahvin wrote:
iti:

Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful. In order for the alignment tool to actually work you have to “select” the layer/image/path you are wanting to align, and it will add “bounding boxes” allowing you to use the alignment tools.

No you were a great help to me!!! yes i understand and thank you. I looked in the preferences, and found where i could 'ungroup' the tools and see them all, yay! =) I did that i like it much better and i also enhanced thier colors to see them, it was so difficult to see them from 3 feet away from the monitor now its perfect, well you know. ;)

I watched another tut on just using the alignment tools, it was so difficult to follow him he talks fast and says things like 'here' and has moved on to something else before any of it regestered, i watched it 3 times. pen in hand and brain wide open.. yeah you cant slow it down as well its youtube you know how slow the voice gets. I just watched the very first part of how the selection was made and the little boxes in the corners. that got through it and centered, and i cut the layer to the image.

Now i have another challenge, and im afraid to ask because i dont know what its called. lol.

I managed to do it once but then the second try it didnt work. I have a .png map, only the lines of the map exist, i want to change their color. I use something, alpha channel? and they got selected, and i just use the bucket to color then all, and then i flattened that layer, after deleleting the background bottom layer.

The next time i tried it, its not coloring it? it just stays the same. How do we colorize images in gimp? do you happen to have a few links to tuts i could watch? or perhaps tell me the correct term to use for a new help post?

Than you very much. i truly appreciate your time. :jumpclap

Last edited by iti on Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:03 pm  (#32) 
GimpChat Member

mahvin wrote:
iti:

did you draw your icon you use here on the forum? very nice.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:58 pm  (#33) 
Global Moderator

iti wrote:

Ramon Miranda drew that picture of me, in pencil, years ago.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:55 pm  (#34) 
GimpChat Member

mahvin wrote:
iti wrote:

Ramon Miranda drew that picture of me, in pencil, years ago.

Shock, creator of GPS and many of the brushes that are now default with Gimp. I always liked his work and wish he could have hung around but I'm not sure he uses Gimp anymore for painting.