It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Reading multiple paged PDF - extracting images from
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:14 am  (#21) 
GimpChat Member

I've watched a YT video and read a GIMP 2.10 self-help page (Googled) and they don't replace just "lettering" but an entire photo. In their Bucket Fill menu there is an option to choose similar colors but mine says "fill similar colors" but when I click on the gold color (default) it doesn't offer any other colors. Is there some additional script or GIMP plug-in I need to download and install? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:10 am  (#22) 
GimpChat Member

Some progress. I've selected the Foreground Window pane and changed the "lettering" to green after clicking on the Foreground window panel which then reveals the color chart. However, it leaves white spots around the lettering. I'm not sure how to avoid that? Or remove those white spots? Any takers?

When I choose the Background Window pane and see the color chart I placed the mouse cursor over the black area of the color chart and then tried placing that black color in the Favorites box and clicked OK but it never made the background black. I'm not sure which step I'm missing in this process, also.

Thank you.

Attachments:
Foreground changed to Green with white spots - background not change to black.JPG
Foreground changed to Green with white spots - background not change to black.JPG [ 110.45 KiB | Viewed 1243 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:39 am  (#23) 
Global Moderator

Before you use the bucket tool, create a cropped layer (or a selection area on a transparent layer) UNDER the text, and then fill it. Merge the text down to the cropped layer AFTER you color fill. Takes just seconds to do.

Addendum: if the text is on a white background, go to Color: color to Alpha, white, to make it transparent.

https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cYjjbnGDhY

Not sure why the video is so fast. I was not doing this at supersonic speed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:52 am  (#24) 
GimpChat Member

Mahvin,

I’m in a bit of a stew here.

I opened an image in m GIMP with a white background. (attached)

Trying to follow your video, I did the following and please fill in with words what different/other steps are needed:

1. clicked on anywhere on the white background
2. Selected the Colors (tab)
3. in the drop down menu Color to Alpha is all grayed out so if you click on it nothing happens.

I would share a screenshot of what I see but on my Dell laptop using W10 Pro if I use the Snipping Tool the drop down color menu disappears once the Snipping Tool is activated.

If I try to use the PrintScreen key (End in white on top of the key and PrintScrn in blue on the bottom of such key) it never opens any graphic when I try to open the “print screen” file I’ve supposedly captured using the PrintScrn key. I've used Print Scrn the Snipping Tool for years on a Dell desktop but apparently that key doesn’t work on this Dell laptop.

I’ve held down the blue FN key +the Shift key, then the blue FN key + Alt key, then the blue FN key + Ctrl key, then the blue FN key + the Windows logo key...none work.

So, on a different graphic than my original post I’m simply trying to replace the white background with a black background.

In my prior graphic I got to the point of finding the color chart, selecting a dark mint green, making it a Custom Color, clicking OK but the foreground “lettering” never changed to the dark mint green. Steps which seem direct in videos don’t proceed as such in my GIMP.

If the white background can be replaced with black, I’ll then try using the cap A letter and the Tools>Selection Tools >Rectangular tool to draw a box above the figure and type in “text” characters to name the tool Snips – Wire Cutter.

Would you please share the precise written steps re: how to “activate” the Color to Alpha so I can change the background from white to black in GIMP.

I tried searching in the GIMP User Manual (downloaded and installed) but there is no section titled Foreground or Background modifying.

Thanks.

P.S. I also right clicked on the image, chose Color in the drop down menu and Colorize to Alpha is all grayed out there, too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:35 am  (#25) 
Global Moderator

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com