It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Add defined depth and viewable edges to text (rotate to view) - how?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:37 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Linux
OS Version: Netrunner 13
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
None at present.

I have been using Gimp for a few years now, and have used bump-mapping to give text strings the appearance of depth. Add reflection layers, warp on a cool pattern, then shadow layers, merge it all down and then tweak the perspective using curve-bend or the perspective tools, and it looks pretty good - but the problem is that you never see the edges of those characters which otherwise appear to have depth. Suppose I wanted to create a view from the foot of a cylindrical tower, with a message overhead which was not painted on, but bolted on? Obviously, the text characters would not be merged with the plane of the cylinder! Anyway, I think it would be really cool if I could create an object out of a text string, define the edge depth of the characters, and rotate it any which way to see it looking truly 3D with the edge thickness. Can Gimp do this out of the box, or does that require a plugin? If plugins are required, I know nothing at the moment about these, so I would appreciate some recommendations, and also advice on aquiring and installing Gimp programs for Linux.

Thanks.

EDIT: The above can't be too unusual, Gimp-supported or not. There's an old type of marquee screensaver (which I believe ran in popular Linux versions) which does the above, so you've probably seen it.

Last edited by MisterA on Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Add defined depth and viewable edges to text (rotate to view) - ho
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:04 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

MisterA wrote:
...and also advice on aquiring and installing Gimp programs for Linux.

Thanks.

For scripts and plug-ins.
GimpScripts
GIMP Plugin Registry
G'MIC is a must have.

Subject: Installing SCM ,Python and plug-ins for Linux

Netrunner 13 might already have G'MIC & gimp-plugin-registry available in the repository.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

Post subject: Re: Add defined depth and viewable edges to text (rotate to view) - ho
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:07 am  (#3) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
I'm not aware of any such plugin or script, that would give you the ability to manipulate text within a 3D space.
This is more in the lines of how "Blender" works and not Gimp.
Gimp doesn't provide the data for this kind of text manipulation, that I know of. In Gimp, you would have to create the edges for any given text placed in whatever perspective.
However... there are ways of "extruding" text, such as "3D Extrusion"; which extrudes an image or a selection in a given layer, supports bump mapping, multiple extrusion options and pattern overlay. As well as other techniques using "Distortion" filters. That can give text it's edge.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:12 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Founder

The 3D Extrusion script might help. Also, Bevel Reflect Logo can be used to add depth and reflection to text.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:07 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Gmic has some 3d extrusion tools under rendering which might be of help.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:46 pm  (#6) 
Script Coder

Ah, now I understand your comments in your "Hello" thread, so I'll repeat here what I said over on GimpForums

I agree with Wallace (and Ofnuts) that you are best trying to do this with 3d modelling software. i.e. Blender, POVray etc:
Attachment:
gimp_text.png
gimp_text.png [ 79.16 KiB | Viewed 3294 times ]

Using POVRay with this scene description file
// Persistence of Vision Ray Tracer Scene Description File
// File: ?.pov
// Vers: 3.1
// Desc: Basic TTF font Example
// Date: mm/dd/yy
// Auth: ?
//

#version 3.1

global_settings
{
  assumed_gamma 1.0
}

// ----------------------------------------
declare cam_x = 1.5;

camera
{
//  location  <cam_x, 1, -3>
  location  <cam_x, -1, -2>
  right     4/3*x
  look_at   <cam_x, 0.0,  0.0>
}

light_source
{
  0*x // light's position (translated below)
  color red 1.0  green 1.0  blue 1.0  // light's color
  translate <-3, 4, -8>
}

#declare Text_Tex = texture
{
  pigment { granite scale 0.3 }
  finish { specular 0.01 ambient 0.1 diffuse 0.9 crand 0.05}
}

text
{
  ttf "georgiab.ttf", "GIMP",
  0.2, // depth
  0  // spacing
  texture {Text_Tex}
  rotate <0, -0, 0>
  translate <0, 0, 0>
}

Kevin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:57 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Yes, that's exactly what I want to produce!

So, are files produced in Blender and / or POVRay importable to Gimp?

Is POVRay command-line only? I'm up for the challenge if it's good software, but I'm having a hard time nailing down what this is on the pages I've just visited.

Blender is obviously another editing program, but is POVRay necessarily standalone, or can it be imported to Gimp? I understand from a thread which I wandered accross somewhere that Blender has Blender to POVRay import functionality, so does this mean it works as a sort of plugin?

paynekj wrote:
Ah, now I understand your comments in your "Hello" thread, so I'll repeat here what I said over on GimpForums

I agree with Wallace (and Ofnuts) that you are best trying to do this with 3d modelling software. i.e. Blender, POVray etc:
Attachment:
gimp_text.png

Using POVRay with this scene description file
// Persistence of Vision Ray Tracer Scene Description File
// File: ?.pov
// Vers: 3.1
// Desc: Basic TTF font Example
// Date: mm/dd/yy
// Auth: ?
//

#version 3.1

global_settings
{
  assumed_gamma 1.0
}

declare cam_x = 1.5;

camera
{
//  location  <cam_x, 1, -3>
  location  <cam_x, -1, -2>
  right     4/3*x
  look_at   <cam_x, 0.0,  0.0>
}

light_source
{
  0*x // light's position (translated below)
  color red 1.0  green 1.0  blue 1.0  // light's color
  translate <-3, 4, -8>
}

#declare Text_Tex = texture
{
  pigment { granite scale 0.3 }
  finish { specular 0.01 ambient 0.1 diffuse 0.9 crand 0.05}
}

text
{
  ttf "georgiab.ttf", "GIMP",
  0.2, // depth
  0  // spacing
  texture {Text_Tex}
  rotate <0, -0, 0>
  translate <0, 0, 0>
}

Kevin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:26 pm  (#8) 
Script Coder

POVRay makes image files - i.e. the GIMP text above is a .png so that's supported by GIMP. - Download it and load it into GIMP to see what it looks like and what you can do with it. I imagine Blender is similar.

As you are on Linux(?) I think you need someone who can tell you about Blender as I'm not sure POVRay is that easy to get going on Linux (although I was using it on a proper unix, HP-UX, over 10 years ago)

Kevin

Last edited by paynekj on Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:31 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Founder

Since this is a GIMP forum, my first instinct is to suggest how a given effect might be accomplished in GIMP. :hehe So, just to reiterate, the same 3D effect can be had directly in GIMP by using the 3D extrusion script. Another useful companion script is the highlight script.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:01 pm  (#10) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
You can create some pretty good extruded text using the "3D extrusion script" and Gimp.
If your interested in "Blender". It would be a good idea for you to find a few "Blender Tutorial" on "How to Extrude Text".
Blender has a large learning curve. Nonetheless, I was able to create some pretty good looking extruded text with it on my first try.
I did however have to watch a few Blender video tutorials about the subject.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:57 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Wow, that's just amazing - I especially like that chrome extrusion! I look forward to tinkering with that plugin. Thanks for showing me!

GnuTux wrote:
Since this is a GIMP forum, my first instinct is to suggest how a given effect might be accomplished in GIMP. :hehe So, just to reiterate, the same 3D effect can be had directly in GIMP by using the 3D extrusion script. Another useful companion script is the highlight script.

[ Image ]
[ Image ]
[ Image ]
[ Image ]
[ Image ]
[ Image ]