It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Open a folder as layers but keep the file names as the layer names?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:11 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

Does anyone know of a way to do this? Perhaps a script that has been written? The native function omits the file names.

Thanks

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Open a folder as layers but keep the file names as the layer names
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:20 am  (#2) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
Lumo wrote:

Does anyone know of a way to do this? Perhaps a script that has been written? The native function omits the file names.

Thanks

You can't open a folder as layers and form what I've seen, when I open a file as layers. That layer retains it's file name.

Post subject: Re: Open a folder as layers but keep the file names as the layer names
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:42 pm  (#3) 
Script Coder

Lumo wrote:

Thanks

When you use "Open as layers", the file selector allows you to select more than one file. Just enter the directory and Ctrl-A to select all the files in it...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:28 am  (#4) 
Script Coder

Lumo wrote:
The native function omits the file names.

What is this native function of which you speak?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:46 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

The native function is the one Ofnuts described. Just File > Open As Layers. The thing is it loses all the file names and instead makes up names for the layers. I want to keep the file names as the layer names.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:17 pm  (#6) 
Script Coder

Lumo wrote:
The native function is the one Ofnuts described. Just File > Open As Layers. The thing is it loses all the file names and instead makes up names for the layers. I want to keep the file names as the layer names.

Uh? That's not what I see... Layers are named from the files (usng their name only, not the fullpath). Unless the files are themselves multi-layers in which case the loaded layers keep the name they had in the file.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:32 pm  (#7) 
Script Coder

I don't experience that loss of filenames when using Open as Layers, with a couple of exceptions.

First, if there is no image open when you perform Open as Layers then the name of the first layer (the first file opened) will be lost, but all subsequent layers will retain the appropriate names. This situation can be avoided by creating a new image and deleting its only layer before running the command.

Second, in the case of multi-layer files (XCF, GIF, etc) then the individual layers of the file are loaded and the layernames are set to their original layernames.

Attachments:
layer-naming.png
layer-naming.png [ 18.27 KiB | Viewed 4326 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:42 pm  (#8) 
Global Moderator

:ditto

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:49 pm  (#9) 
Administrator

Here's a video of me opening multiple images as layers in Gimp 2.8 and all the files still retain the original file names when opened as layers.
It's best to watch the video in 720p, that's highest resolution I could upload for now.
www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:09 pm  (#10) 
Global Moderator

Cool Wallace. That is how mine open too. If I select four images to open, they keep their names.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:15 pm  (#11) 
Administrator

molly wrote:
Cool Wallace. That is how mine open too. If I select four images to open, they keep their names.

Yes, that's what we've all been trying to explain. :hehe
I'm not sure what's going on with Lumo and his attempt at opening multiple images as layers.
I'd sure like to see what he's been describing, because I can't seem to duplicate his issue.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:12 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

This video will help u!
http://youtu.be/wW4lmKOKpV0

:ninja Wallace! :hehe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:20 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

It turns out that a script that I'm using is re-naming the layers.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:10 am  (#14) 
Administrator

Lumo wrote:
It turns out that a script that I'm using is re-naming the layers.

A-ha! :mrgreen:
I'm presuming that we all knew that something was causing this issue for you. What that was would have been difficult for any of us to surmise, given the information you provided.
The "normal/default" way that Open as layers displays file names, is to retain the original file names as the name for each image/layer in a given image.
Glad you figured this one out.
You probably thought we were all bonkers or that maybe you were non com·pos men·tis.
:hehe