It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Plug-ins Won't Work at All!?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:45 pm  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
greycstoration, wavelet-denoise

Hi, I decided to come to this forum because I desperately need help with GIMP and installing plug-ins. I've installed plug-ins before in the few years I have been frequently using GIMP. However, trouble started a week or so ago when I decided that I wanted to try to use a PSPI plug-in to use Topaz Vivacity on GIMP. It worked enough that I got it installed, but when I tried to use the filters I would get an error message explaining that the filters were not compatible with GIMP. Eventually I found a good alternative to Topaz -- Greycstoration. I successfully installed it and used it a few times. Then I realized I wanted to try using Topaz again, so I stupidly uninstalled Greycstoration and attempted Topaz again, which was, of course unsuccessful.
I basically have been at war with my computer for a week now, constantly uninstalling and re-installing several versions of GIMP and trying to get Greycstoration to work again. I've also tried other plug-ins. I copy the .exe files to the plug-ins folder (C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins) and when I re-start GIMP, the plugins are not anywhere in the program. I've even tried checking the plug-ins source folder through the preference menu. Anyone have any ideas on what I could do?? I'm extremely frustrated and upset.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Plug-ins Won't Work at All!?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:52 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

I feel your frustration. I had an issue earlier in the year where nothing would work. I even restored my computer and uninstalled, installed. Only after doing that a few times and going elsewhere for another version of gimp did it work - intermittently. I still have problems with some programs 'not responding' but eventually finishing what I started.
The only advice I can give you is to not lose heart and keep doing what you have been doing. Also the best version of gimp would be Partha's build - http://www.partha.com/. If you still have no luck, leave a message on his blog and he will get back to you.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:45 am  (#3) 
Global Moderator

Greycstoration is now G'MIC a must have plugin for Gimp, no need for PSPI and sallyanne makes a good point about giving Partha's build a go, it includes G'MIC, Wavelet-Denoise and many other useful plugins.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:10 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

You should not install addon plugins to "(C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins)"
They should always go in the username/gimp-2.8/plug-ins folder.
There is now a special folder in the program directory for 32 bit plug-ins if you use 64 bit GIMP.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:26 am  (#5) 
Script Coder

I looked at PhotoComics greystoration in photocomix-resources.deviantart who would have thought it would become the powerful GMIC we know today,thank you David

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:20 am  (#6) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
Rod wrote:
You should not install addon plugins to "(C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins)"
They should always go in the username/gimp-2.8/plug-ins folder.
There is now a special folder in the program directory for 32 bit plug-ins if you use 64 bit GIMP.

I agree with what Rod has mentioned. You should always place plugins into your Gimp User plug-ins folder.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:05 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

PSPI was not working in my windows32 so I took out and I use Xnview
after you open the file, FILTER>Adobe Photoshop Plug-in
(click on CONFIGURE to add the address where is the filter)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:32 pm  (#8) 

Thanks so much to everyone for all the help. I downloaded the version from Partha, and it has the plugins I was trying to install. I haven't tried adding on any more plugins, but it doesn't really matter to me right now because the GMIC plugin was basically the only one I needed.
Once again, thank you all so, so much for your help!! :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:15 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Glad you were helped by our Gimp Chat members. I hope you can stick around and maybe show us some of your work.