It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:53 am

Latest GIMP Scripts & Plug-ins

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Image scale reduces after copy/paste?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:46 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

Hello, everyone,
I`ve been spending the last 3 days trying to figure out what I`m doing wrong. I`m prepping a decal sheet for my RC car project with images that have each been properly scaled down (they print out the right size, even if I didn`t paste them to a blank A4/US letter template). It`s when I consecutively copy/paste them to a new blank template, they all shrink. I've bought some very expensive glossy self-adhesive film for my inkjet, so I'm trying to place all my decal logos on the same sheet, so as not to waste this film from England. Any ideas of what I may be doing wrong? I'm getting frustrated, after 3 tries (each a 12hr+ day!!).
Help!! :gaah
Thank-you for any tips/ ideas that can help me finish my vacation project! :tyspin :clap
S

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Image scale reduces after copy/paste?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:54 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

Sc00by5ting wrote:

Hello, everyone,
I`ve been spending the last 3 days trying to figure out what I`m doing wrong. I`m prepping a decal sheet for my RC car project with images that have each been properly scaled down (they print out the right size, even if I didn`t paste them to a blank A4/US letter template). It`s when I consecutively copy/paste them to a new blank template, they all shrink. I've bought some very expensive glossy self-adhesive film for my inkjet, so I'm trying to place all my decal logos on the same sheet, so as not to waste this film from England. Any ideas of what I may be doing wrong? I'm getting frustrated, after 3 tries (each a 12hr+ day!!).
Thank-you for any tips/ ideas that can help me finish my vacation project! :tyspin :clap
S

Why do you need to consecutively copy/paste them to a new blank template/canvas? Can't you use the image that you say prints out correctly, without all the coping/pasting?

My YouTube Channel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:12 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

I may have not been well understood, so here goes:
1)I've D/L jpeg images/logos
2)I've rescaled them directly to desired size, without pasting them to a blank page first
3)Saved the rescaled image to disk
4)Now, with a new A4 blank, attempting to put all my rescales together on one sheet, to create one decal sheet for my RC car

It's at step 4 that when I have finished placing all my decals, and I test-print to see if all's well, it's when I discover that all my decal jpegs are smaller. On the second day, I scrapped the previous project, copied/pasted once again to a new A4 blank, and even rescaled each decal to what its supposed to be (once printed), before pasting next decal image, rescale, and so on. The images I d/l are usually as large as I can find, for best definition, and then reduce them to desired size.

So, to answer your question, I do not want to waste a self-adhesive A4 sheet (@ 4$CAN/sheet) just to print a decal the size of a dime or a quarter on it.

Hope this clears up my question for you
Thanks again
S :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:36 pm  (#4) 
Global Moderator

I'm not sure if this will be of any help to you, but have a look...
http://gimpforums.com/thread-a4-size-on-gimp

Have you tried not using the A4 template and just creating a canvas of 8.5 inch by 11 inch (about 21.5 cm by 27.9 cm) and seeing if this works, before any printing is done on the expensive film.

My YouTube Channel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:17 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

What about checking the resolution between the decal images and the a4 settings? AFAIK, A4 is automatically set to 300 ppi, while making an 8.5 x 11 allows you to set the resolution to what you want.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:08 am  (#6) 
Script Coder

2-ton wrote:
What about checking the resolution between the decal images and the a4 settings? AFAIK, A4 is automatically set to 300 ppi, while making an 8.5 x 11 allows you to set the resolution to what you want.

There is a print definition in the templates, but for all image the print definition can be changed. Actually for Gimp 8.5x11 is meaningless if it doesn't come with a print definition (otherwise Gimp cannot compute the necessary size in pixels).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:19 am  (#7) 
Script Coder

Sc00by5ting wrote:

Hello, everyone,
S

What do you mean by "shrink"? If you copy an area 200 by 300 pixels, it is smaller that 200 by 300 in the copy?

Or the printed image is smaller than you expect?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:22 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Ok, maybe I'm not so clear, so here goes:
1)d/l a jpeg 2362x337 pixels@300dpi, saved it to disk (BTW, I'm using them in millimeter units 199.8x27.9mm, to be able to use my rulers on the RC body);
2)rescaled it to 1474.5x208.5px (not sure the dpi changes?) or 124.7x17.7mm in my metric world (the actual size I need)
3)simply printing the rescale gives me exactly what I need on a 8.5x11 test sheet, but when I...
4)copy/paste to a blank A4 (the actual worksheet size I'm to print to), then print out a test sheet, it has been reduced by about 12-13%. Also, the same original jpeg was also rescaled to 1169x167px (98.9x13.5mm), then copied/pasted to same A4 sheet, and somehow got reduced to about 95% of its wanted size once test printed (huh?).

As you can see, the problem lies at the point I attempt to simply copy/paste rescaled decal logo to a unified sheet, to create a single sheet with all my rescaled logos (28 decals in all, of various sizes, originating from about 10-11 original jpegs).
Am I setting something up wrong? (remember, I'm a total n00b, can count the number of times I fired up GIMP!)
P.S. I know that fractions of pixels do not exist, so my rescale will round off, was just for example :)
And that I'm working in mm, just to get my scale look on the RC car body.
Hope this helps!
Thanks!
S

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:46 am  (#9) 
Script Coder

Between 1) and 2) there should be no change in print definition.

OK, so the problem isn't the copy/paste to the A4 image, that produces the right size in pixels, but why the A4 page doesn't print at the required size. One reason is that the A4 size as defined in the Gimp template covers the whole A4 sheet (210x297mm) but few printers can print the whole sheet, there are usually margins (in inkjet printers, a rather wide margin at the bottom for the feed roller) so the print driver may scale down the image to make it fit the printable area(*). Make your final image smaller (around 200x270mm)(**) to make it more likely to fit the printable area and see if it gets scaled down.

(*) you may be able to get an idea of your actual printable area using your word processor and doing a page layout for your printer. It may complain if you try to extend in the non-printable areas (note conditionals..).

(**) this assumes just a margin at the bottom, if the image is centered on the paper then you need to take in account a wide margin at top and bottom.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:01 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Sounds first that you are trying to create a sprite sheet with all your objects (sprites) laid out in a columns/rows situation, right? If all your sprites are of similar sizes, you can easily do this by first opening them all up as layers and then using your sprites plugin of choice. I suggest the python plugin below. As for sprite size, you have to have the dpi setting of each individual sprite to match that of your overall page size (say 300dpi for instance). :)

http://registry.gimp.org/node/1771

Psalm 109:8