It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to recreate Sons Of Anarchy "white blocks" where text sits?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:11 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

Hi everyone,

Been messing around with different variations of the Sons Of Anarchy logo. Originally, I had pulled off the logo with the arced white bits, and filled in the black text with white to make them solid so I could write over them with my own text. However I've had problems trying to put my own text into the blank filled in white sections as the text/path is hard to adjust to fit correctly doing this. I can get the text to align with the skull better by removing the white sections altogether and then just having the text, but it doesn't look as good in my opinion than with the white sections around the text. An example of what someone else has done, which I'm trying to mimick, with my own text is below.

http://postimg.org/image/fwf7vqt8x/

How do you think they created this custom version of the logo, any ideas? And/or what tools can I use to better align the text to the white sections?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: How to recreate Sons Of Anarchy "white blocks" where text sits?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:10 pm  (#2) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
I'm sure we can help you out, but the image you posted does not show in your post. Can you provide a link or something, so we can see what you're talking about?

Is this the logo you're referring to?

Also it isn't exactly clear what it is that you're trying to accomplish. Can you be more specific?

Last edited by Wallace on Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: How to recreate Sons Of Anarchy "white blocks" where text sits?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:13 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Founder

Edited post to show link.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:22 pm  (#4) 
Administrator

GnuTux wrote:
Edited post to show link.

:bigthup

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:32 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Wallace wrote:
Also it isn't exactly clear what it is that you're trying to accomplish. Can you be more specific?

If it is something like the image attached, remember that Molly made ​​a tutorial about it.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6720&hilit=path

Attachments:
tesund.png
tesund.png [ 62.39 KiB | Viewed 9330 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:06 pm  (#6) 
Script Coder

You might try creating your banner in a rectangular shape and then using the technique described in this post to warp it into a curve.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:29 pm  (#7) 
Administrator

Maybe something like this...
I just used the normal "text along path" for my text. One path for the upper text and one for the lower text.
I used an elliptical selection as a guide for my paths.
I also had to do a little scaling of the text. It's not perfect, but it works and it fits with the kind of "Homemade" style of the image, like a painted on stencil image.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:16 pm  (#8) 
Script Coder

dragonsfire wrote:
GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

Hi everyone,

Been messing around with different variations of the Sons Of Anarchy logo. Originally, I had pulled off the logo with the arced white bits, and filled in the black text with white to make them solid so I could write over them with my own text. However I've had problems trying to put my own text into the blank filled in white sections as the text/path is hard to adjust to fit correctly doing this. I can get the text to align with the skull better by removing the white sections altogether and then just having the text, but it doesn't look as good in my opinion than with the white sections around the text. An example of what someone else has done, which I'm trying to mimick, with my own text is below.

http://postimg.org/image/fwf7vqt8x/

How do you think they created this custom version of the logo, any ideas? And/or what tools can I use to better align the text to the white sections?

Stroke the path you used to bend the text using a very wide white line.

Attachment:
SoA.xcf [47.58 KiB]
Downloaded 437 times