It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Printing on Photo Paper
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:02 pm  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Mac OS
OS Version: 10.9.4
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

I am having trouble printing out photos using GIMP on an EPSON printer. They print out fine on plain white paper. On photo paper, however, there are bad streaks. The printer ink levels are high and the nozzles have been cleaned and aligned.

On previous versions of GIMP, the printer menu had options for adjusting printer resolution to 720 and selecting different types of paper. When I selected the wrong type of paper, I would get streaks like I am getting now. The problem is that the printer menu for GIMP 2.8.10 gives me very few options. I can't choose the type of printer paper or set the quality of the printed image (other than just selecting "high"). So, presumably the GIMP setting is for printing on plain white paper.

Do you have any suggestions on how I might resume printing high quality images on photo paper? How can I get the expanded printer menu?

Thanks!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Printing on Photo Paper
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:44 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

FelixA7 wrote:
GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Mac OS
OS Version: 10.9.4
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

I am having trouble printing out photos using GIMP on an EPSON printer. They print out fine on plain white paper. On photo paper, however, there are bad streaks. The printer ink levels are high and the nozzles have been cleaned and aligned...
...Do you have any suggestions on how I might resume printing high quality images on photo paper? How can I get the expanded printer menu?

Thanks!

Usually more a function of the printer driver than Gimp

Something the Win users do not have is the GutenPrint plugin. There is one for Win but sadly, AFAIK does not work anymore with Gimp 2.8.x

Looks like this in linux, PCLOS KDE Gimp 2.8.14, plenty of settings for everything but again these come from your printer definition.

There is one for OSX, Epson printers are usually well supported, but even if not, possible via a .ppd file as my Brother printer.

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php

Worth a try.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:04 am  (#3) 

Thanks so much for the response!! I would love to see that print screen you took a screen shot of. That's exactly what I need.

But I'm not a computer expert. I installed the latest version of guttenprint for Mac OSX, but gimp is either not recognizing it or isn't providing any further print options in the dialogue box. It's very strange. Any other steps I need to take to have the plugin connect to GIMP? Do I need different printer drivers for my Epson 845? I used to be able to print just fine with the older versions of GIMP.

Thanks,

Felix

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:28 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

FelixA7 wrote:
...I installed the latest version of guttenprint for Mac OSX, but gimp is either not recognizing it or isn't providing any further print options in the dialogue box...
Felix

I do not know. I do not use OSX.

Any Mac experts around?

edit:
Just a couple of thoughts:
Has the package installed a gutenprint plugin in the gimp plugin directory and if yes is it executable? In linux this is /usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/
Do you have CUPS installed?
When Gutenprint is correctly installed, there is a "Print with Gutenprint" in the File menu. Then you select your printer from the main gutenprint dialog.

edit(2): Looks like the Epson WorkForce 845 is not one of the supported printers.. oh well.. back to the drawing board.

Last edited by rich2005 on Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:07 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

You should not use Gimp for the Settings of the printer. You should always use the ones in the Printers interface. When the Pic is in focus use CTRL+p, then the Printerinterface should open.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:54 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

I know nothing about MacOS.
You might be interested in "TurboPrint".
It's not free,30 day trial is free,it has a MacOS version.
http://www.turboprint.info/
I use it myself because my Epson XP-750 is not supported by gutenprint.
I get excellent results.
Gerard.

I use Linux only.
And Virtualbox with Win 7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:21 pm  (#7) 

Guys, thanks for the advice. I tried Command P and it brought up the same menu that comes up when going into GIMP's file tab and clicking print. That dialog box lacks the setting for paper type (e.g., photo, photo glossy). Any other suggestions? I used Picasa and was able to improve print quality slightly. But there should be a way to print quality images directly from GIMP.