It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Autosave
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:05 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: any
Operating System: Linux
OS Version: Kubuntu
GIMP Experience: Advanced Level

Hi
Due to the fact that a user in a German speaking Gimp-Forum has lost a self produced painting completely (and also a bit to her own stupidity), I went searching for a possibility of an autosave facility in Gimp. First I checked every single item in the set-up part, next I checked the entire table of contents in the Help and all relevant links to save.
As my blood has an «inbuilt» ctrl+s every 5 minutes, I have actually no need for this autosave. But in most other programs I use, I activate this feature while I run through the initial set-up after installation. And have been more than once happy about this.
Any idea where to look for this function?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Autosave
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:30 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Arran wrote:
GIMP Version: any
Operating System: Linux
OS Version: Kubuntu
GIMP Experience: Advanced Level

Hi
Due to the fact that a user in a German speaking Gimp-Forum has lost a self produced painting completely (and also a bit to her own stupidity), I went searching for a possibility of an autosave facility in Gimp. First I checked every single item in the set-up part, next I checked the entire table of contents in the Help and all relevant links to save.
As my blood has an «inbuilt» ctrl+s every 5 minutes, I have actually no need for this autosave. But in most other programs I use, I activate this feature while I run through the initial set-up after installation. And have been more than once happy about this.
Any idea where to look for this function?

Try the registry
http://registry.gimp.org/node/26115

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:57 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks

I downloaded the file, extracted it and transferred it to its place in the Gimp Ressources.

Then I restarted Gimp, but I can not find the starter as described in t he help.

Kubuntu 14.04

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:28 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

This newer version doesn't work for me either.... but
i have an older version of this plugin that gets the job done (Win 7 here)
But it's a script, should work under Linux too

Attachment:
autosave.zip [4.97 KiB]
Downloaded 306 times

Win users: copy the config file together with your python script in plugin-ins folder just in case.

Let me know if you had any success with it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:49 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Hi Arran.
Since this script was written by me on 'Debian', building on preliminary stuff from 'yahvuu', I have an interest.
There many autosaves, for example a more recent one is a 'Perl' script also at the registry, did not try it!

The two preceding examples of this plug-in are on 'Windows', on the Linux distribution Fedora 20 it looks like this in my GIMP-2.8.14:
In the following brief explanation: number refer to label on the red circle
(1) There is two plug-ins in the version 0.3 : the main one is 'Auto save' and it should be launched with an open image.
The other 'NoUI auto save' don't need an image and need minimal user intervention.
The menu path: it's where I put the 'Plugins-Python' which are not part of the GIMP distribution.

(2) This is the window of 'Auto save'. The frames 'Directory', 'Files' and 'Time' make the config area.
The minty green background line indicates a running instance of 'NoUI auto save';
usually if you want to use 'NoUI auto save', you run 'Auto save' before to set 'LastStop config' which is use by 'NoUI auto save'.
When you press 'Start' the button label change to 'Stop', if you search for 'Stop'!

(3) The warning message concern the default directory, in a hard code 'Default config'. There is a story behind it.

To address your installation problem, for Linux, first should be:
- verify the existence of the file 'autosave_a.py' in the home folder pointed by GIMP at Edit>Preferences>Folders>Plug-ins;
- set the permission of that file so it can be executed as a program, since the plug-in don't do it.
Sorry if you already done that, then you have to furnish further info!

Attachments:
Sceen Autosave - 28_09_2014.png
Sceen Autosave - 28_09_2014.png [ 142.23 KiB | Viewed 4145 times ]

Last edited by rob_brz1 on Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:49 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

rob_brz1 wrote:
Hi Arran.
Since this script was written by me on 'Debian', building on preliminary stuff from 'yahvuu', I have an interest.
There many autosaves, for example a more recent one is a 'Perl' script also at the registry, did not try it!

The two preceding examples of this plug-in are on 'Windows', on the Linux distribution Fedora 20 it looks like this in my GIMP-2.8.14:
[ Image ]
In the following brief explanation: number refer to label on the red circle
(1) There is two plug-ins in the version 0.3 : the main one is 'Auto save' and it should be launched with an open image.
The other 'NoUI auto save' don't need an image and need minimal user intervention.
The menu path: it's where I put the 'Plugins-Python' which are not part of the GIMP distribution.

(2) This is the window of 'Auto save'. The frames 'Directory', 'Files' and 'Time' make the config area.
The minty green background line indicates a running instance of 'NoUI auto save';
usually if you want to use 'NoUI auto save', you run 'Auto save' before to set 'LastStop config' which is use by 'NoUI auto save'.
When you press 'Start' the button label change to 'Stop', if you search for 'Stop'!

(3) The warning message concern the default directory, in a hard code 'Default config'. There is a story behind it.

To address your installation problem, for Linux, first should be:
- verify the existence of the file 'autosave_a.py' in the home folder pointed by GIMP at Edit>Preferences>Folders>Plug-ins;
- set the permission of that file so it can be executed as a program, since the plug-in don't do it.
Sorry if you already done that, then you have to furnish further info!

This python plug-in works fine for me.Windows 8.2 64 bit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:21 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Hi Rod,
Good to know, thanks.

In my previous post, the placement of the image was not intended as an attachment but at the line where the rectangle with the text 'image' appears.
I did something wrong. In what forum and thread, here, should I post a question about that?