It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2024 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: combining two photos to look like one
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:45 pm  (#1) 

I am very new to gimp i am trying to take a picture of a friend and put her in the picture with me. can someone please give me very detailed instructions on how to do this please???

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: combining two photos to look like one
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:05 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

See viewtopic.php?f=10&t=97
It may help you to see the steps you need to take even for a human subject removal from an image.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:09 pm  (#3) 
Script Coder

I don't want to discourage you, but this is definitely not something for beginners. For something that doesn't yell "Fake!" at first sight, even someone with the necessary skills has to find two pictures that reasonably match: colors (flesh tones), lighting directions & shadows, positions & gestures...

Let's say that for a start, you will need a very good cutout of the person you want to move to the other picture. One way of doing it is the foreground extraction tool. You'll also find plenty of tutorials for that step. But I seriously urge you to first find the two matching pictures, this is the part that makes the rest possible. Sometimes it's worth shooting a new photograph with the same lighting.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:14 pm  (#4) 

well crap u know where i could go to have someone help me with this? I have no clue what i am doing and really really want to have this done...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:17 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Tell you what PM me the image and ill render the girl out for you.If you like ill even render her back in the photo with you, free of charge.You can correct a lot of coloring with curves and levels, so don't get too discouraged it is possible.
However it is also timely. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:30 pm  (#6) 
Script Coder

Not to be discouraging, but the lighting needs to match between the pics, i.e. the same light sources in the same positions, otherwise highlights and shadows will disagree. That can be very hard to overcome.

-Rob A>