It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cannot get Bimp fully functional in 2.8
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:25 pm  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

Hi.
I'm retired and relatively new with GIMP. I've used it for about a year to do color corrections on captured 35mm slides, but need to install the BIMP batch program so I can convert multiple jpg files that have gone red into black and white. I've tried to follow various instructions about where to move the bimp files into the Gimp 2.8 folders with only partial success. The interface comes up fine and I can select images and "convert to grayscale" but when I press the "Apply" button, it seems to be processing, lets me save the images, but the conversion has not happened. Also, when I select the type of conversion I want, the screen with fine adjustments does not appear. Obviously part of the plug in is not working properly. I get no error messages - it just does not complete the job. I need some specifics on where these bimp files fit into the gimp files. I've placed the bimp bin files into the "C:\users\my name\.gimp 2.8\plugins". However, I have no clue as to where the other bimp files go. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Cannot get Bimp fully functional in 2.8
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:42 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Bimp is a 32 bit plugin, but I know it does work in both 32 / 64 bit Gimp, unless maybe with Parthas Gimp build.

Unless you are using a supported language other than English, the only files you need are bimp.exe and pcre3.dll These go in your Gimp profile C:\Users\name\.gimp-2.8\plug-ins

All the others are for poor linux users like me who have to compile their own.

Start BIMP from the file menu and add files, these can be in different locations, although BIMP can overwrite existing files, always a good idea to save to a different location

images are getting a bit large so just the link http://i.imgur.com/esZXr9q.jpg

You want grayscale. Then adding a function looks like this using color correction http://i.imgur.com/tMqFXue.jpg

An alternative is use Other Gimp Procedure and search for desaturate http://i.imgur.com/zD0dJLE.jpg
and maybe add another Other Gimp Procedure for adjustment http://i.imgur.com/YCPJBbT.jpg

You will not get the opportunity to adjust each image, BIMP is a batch plugin.

Apply and you get a progress bar http://i.imgur.com/Q62DwAi.jpg

Comparison of a processed image http://i.imgur.com/uJbKWDA.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:35 am  (#3) 

Thanks RICH2005.
It turns out that I had BIMP working after all. It was just saving the batch corrected files in \user\doug and I was not aware of it until I did a file search. The Output Folder in BIMP was set that way and the button to change that is greyed out. I don't know how to change it, but can live with it. I kept thinking that I needed to do more than just plug the exe and dll files into the GIMP plugin. When you explained that those were the only files I needed to use, it got me on the right track. Is there a new BIMP version that will allow me to change the output location?

Obviously, this is the first time I've ever had to install a plugin without the use of a wizard! Many thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:40 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

You are probably there all ready, just clicking in the wrong place.

Click on the long button next to Output folder ie "Pictures" in the screenshot. That should bring up a dialog where you can navigate to, and select a folder.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:32 am  (#5) 

Still cannot change the output folder from \user\username, but I can just move them out of that folder into the one I need.

New problem: When I use either Gimp for single changes to grayscale or Bimp for multiple changes, the result makes a change which becomes incompatible with showing the images (via an SD card) on my HDTV. Looking at the result in PhotoShop CS, I get an error message about the ICC Profile being incorrect. No problems if I just make color corrections. There seems to be some setting changes that might fix this, but I have no clue how to do it. I hope this is enough info.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:08 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
Still cannot change the output folder from \user\username, but I can just move them out of that folder into the one I need.

Can not really help anymore with that one. The arrow icon is just that, does not do anything, you have to click on the button. Works here PClinuxOS and BIMP 1.12 (works in that windows VM as well)

Quote:
New problem: When I use either Gimp for single changes to grayscale or BIMP for multiple changes, the result makes a change which becomes incompatible with showing the images (via an SD card) on my HDTV. Looking at the result in PhotoShop CS, I get an error message about the ICC Profile being incorrect. No problems if I just make color corrections. There seems to be some setting changes that might fix this, but I have no clue how to do it. I hope this is enough info.

Since this is not only BIMP but also a Gimp issue I think you should post a new topic.
Give the format of the images, and where they come from, some camera manufactures produce strange files.

However.

If using jpeg images. BIMP, same as Gimp will save in progressive mode by default - see the advanced options in the Gimp export dialog. This is known to cause problems with some HDMI players.
In BIMP, use as a final procedure Change format and Compression with jpeg selected. This has the progressive mode unchecked by default.

PS and icc profiles. Could come with the original image or be the Gimp default sRGB profile, do not know. Have you considered a utility to strip all meta data before processing?.